Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lefty Slide lock reload times

Tompac

In Law Enforcement, Glocks are the most commonly used duty weapon.  On a Glock the slide lock is, at best, a fine motor skill!  Most of the time it's just plain hard to use.  That's why in LE training we teach the slingshot method.  Slower but very positive.   That same consideration doesn't necessarily apply to other style pistols.    But... the slingshot technique will always work when the stress level is extreme or the hands are slippery from sweat or blood.  

On 4/23/2018 at 11:33 AM, hjweiss said:

In Law Enforcement, Glocks are the most commonly used duty weapon.  On a Glock the slide lock is, at best, a fine motor skill!  Most of the time it's just plain hard to use.  That's why in LE training we teach the slingshot method.  Slower but very positive.   That same consideration doesn't necessarily apply to other style pistols.    But... the slingshot technique will always work when the stress level is extreme or the hands are slippery from sweat or blood.  

You sure about that?

Yes, the slide lock/release is a "fine motor skill"...however, so is the trigger and the mag release yet we can operate them just fine under duress. What you've been taught or told is pretty inaccurate. 

not to mention, if your hands are slippery with sweat or blood, the slide isn't so easy to grasp...

just saying ; )

4 minutes ago, TimH said:

You sure about that?

Yes, the slide lock/release is a "fine motor skill"...however, so is the trigger and the mag release yet we can operate them just fine under duress. What you've been taught or told is pretty inaccurate. 

not to mention, if your hands are slippery with sweat or blood, the slide isn't so easy to grasp...

just saying ; )

"What you've been taught or told is pretty inaccurate"   Well, I guess you're entitled to your opinion.   No offense, but is your level of experience and expertise on par with leading LE trainers?  Again, I was specifically commenting on the Glock slide stop.  Which is a problematic control due to its shape and size.  As you might expect, LE training standards and protocols vary quite a bit.  But use of the "Slingshot" method for chambering a round with the Glock is widely accepted and fairly standard.   It is definitely more positive than relying on the slide lock ...on a Glock.   It's what I taught and what I was taught.... and what was recommended by Glock themselves.  

4 hours ago, hjweiss said:

"What you've been taught or told is pretty inaccurate"   Well, I guess you're entitled to your opinion.   No offense, but is your level of experience and expertise on par with leading LE trainers?  

LMAO...this guy doesn't know he's talking to a GM...ah, newbies.

35 minutes ago, IronicTwitch said:

LMAO...this guy doesn't know he's talking to a GM...ah, newbies.

Sorry... Oh my gosh, a GM!!  Well I didn't know GM's were immune to being mistaken and were all knowing, especially when LE training doctrine is the subject.   As for being a "Newbie".... after a dozen years in military service and 22 years as a Chief Firearms Instructor in LE and more than forty years in competitive shooting.....I may not really be a "Newbie".   But I must admit I certainly don't know it all.  But by all means, do enjoy LYAO.   

Apologies.  I overlooked your comments were regarding LE training specific to Glock slide release.  I had the mindset that the original posting was a question of which method was faster in a competitive environment.  I do think there's some merit to sharing competitive advantages into LE training, but undoubtedly there's a lot of "it depends" on how that's adopted.

Easy there fellas......I was taught the same thing hjweiss was taught and have done the sling shot method for 20 something years.  After starting IDPA last year, I added a semi-extended slide stop and have tried to retrain myself......it's not as easy as it sounds.  

Ironic Twitch....Sorry, If I was getting a little heated there.  Beyond that, starting to commit the greater forum crime of going "Off Topic".    

Ranger Trace....Thanks, sometimes a little timely "Adult Intervention" is just the ticket.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 4:28 PM, hjweiss said:

Sorry... Oh my gosh, a GM!!  Well I didn't know GM's were immune to being mistaken and were all knowing, especially when LE training doctrine is the subject.   As for being a "Newbie".... after a dozen years in military service and 22 years as a Chief Firearms Instructor in LE and more than forty years in competitive shooting.....I may not really be a "Newbie".   But I must admit I certainly don't know it all.  But by all means, do enjoy LYAO.   

Hmm, guess I'm wrong? Just because its "LE training doctrine" doesnt necessarily mean its CORRECT doctrine.

But hell, I'm probably wrong...again. 

Wont be the last time LOL