Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 grain 40 Major loads

RangerTrace

So, for the last 8 years I've only shot 40 major with 180 grain bullets of some kind.  Mostly TMJ and JHP,  but there was a couple thousand coated green bullets.  I currently have another 2.5 K loaded with another 3-4K in stock.  But, once those are gone, I plan to move to Black Bullets International and I wondered if it might be a better fit to move to 200 grain bullets.  I've had great luck with BBI 147s and maybe the 200s would have a similar recoil impulse.  

So the question is......180 vs. 200......

So, for the last 8 years I've only shot 40 major with 180 grain bullets of some kind.  Mostly TMJ and JHP,  but there was a couple thousand coated green bullets.  I currently have another 2.5 K loaded with another 3-4K in stock.  But, once those are gone, I plan to move to Black Bullets International and I wondered if it might be a better fit to move to 200 grain bullets.  I've had great luck with BBI 147s and maybe the 200s would have s similar recoils impulse.  

So the question is......180 vs. 200......
200 definitely is softer. I actually use 220s from xtreme because my Para likes bullets at 1.205

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Probably depends a lot on what level you are at. When developing certain skills soft or flat certainly makes it easier. Once developed it means a lot less and slide speed is more important. All preference and only way you can tell is to try them with your set goals and see which work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've shot Bayou 200's for what seems like forever.

Really like them overall, find they feed slightly better than BBI 200's but a local GM has used BBI 200's for a long time without problems.

I like the 180's when I'm shooting a lot, MENTALLY I "think" they cycle faster etc etc.

Funny thing is on the timer there is no significant difference between the two for me!  (A class Shooter)

I really like the blue bullets 200’s over n320.  It shoots really soft. Put me in the camp of soft rounds being easier for follow up shots. I’ve done slow Mo films  of my action and my finger just isn’t fast enough for the slide speed to be slowing me down. I know that the argument is the sights settle faster but if the gun shoots flatter then it would seem to me that they move less to begin with.  Maybe I’ll get there one day. 

I just finished 2k of Zero 200gr with 4.8 WST.   FWIW, I planned on going back to the 180s.

Yes, 200grs were softer, no doubt but I didn't find them to be much more accurate than the 180s, if fact, the 180s were better at 25 yds.

Using TG with the 200grs was no fun.   TG works well with 180s (not better) than WST but works.   

For me, shooting a 40 cal just seems to work better with 180grs.

JMO

I switch between the 180 and 200. Just depends on what's in stock when I order. 200 is definitely softer but I like the slide speed of the 180. I have also run 165 in the gun. The were really accurate once I got use to the recoil impulse.

Trace, I moved from 180 gr Bayou Bullets to 200 gr BBI and have enjoyed the 200 gr bullets much more.  Recoil is more of a push than a snap.  There are those shooters that say it slows down the slide and transitions but I am not that sophisticated of a shooter.  Load info for 200 gr BBI - 4.36 gr of N320 at 1.199 oal for a 169 PF out of a 5" Schueman barrel at 42 degrees

35 minutes ago, Aggieddad02 said:

Trace, I moved from 180 gr Bayou Bullets to 200 gr BBI and have enjoyed the 200 gr bullets much more.  Recoil is more of a push than a snap.  There are those shooters that say it slows down the slide and transitions but I am not that sophisticated of a shooter.  Load info for 200 gr BBI - 4.36 gr of N320 at 1.199 oal for a 169 PF out of a 5" Schueman barrel at 42 degrees

Great info, thank you!!

im switching back to 200s after 10 or so years of shooting 180s. my pistol is very light  compared to most. i am currently using 200 jhp over titegroup in a 6 inch glock. it will soon switch to 200 plated or coated when these are gone.

Shot a bunch of 180's and 200's. I really like 200G for the softer recoil. 200G and WST was really good but had to go .7 over max with and no high pressure signs. My new safer load is 200G with 4.2g of HP-38. HP-38 is a little dirtier than WST. If you load long I would go with WST.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot nothing but 200gr bullets.  They are softer feeling than 180's.  Since I previously shot mostly .45 in SS division, the heavier bullets felt "closer to home" for me.  I've probably shot 10,000 BBI 200gr .40's in the last year.  I have 2 loads that work well with BBI.  I recently switched to Zero bullets but found a load rather quickly with those as well.  All of these loads make major in all of my .40 cal pistols.

3.9gr Titegroup under BBI 200 at 1.18 OAL - This load is a little dirty/smoky due to Titegroup being a hot burning double base powder.  It melts the Hi-Tek coating a bit.

4.3gr N320 under BBI 200 at 1.18 OAL - Feels nearly identical to the Titegroup load, but is more consistent.

4.6gr N320 under Zero 200 at 1.175 OAL - I haven't shot enough of this to know how it feels or compares to the BBI load.  I just worked up the load to make major.

1 hour ago, bkrumme said:

I shoot nothing but 200gr bullets.  They are softer feeling than 180's.  Since I previously shot mostly .45 in SS division, the heavier bullets felt "closer to home" for me.  I've probably shot 10,000 BBI 200gr .40's in the last year.  I have 2 loads that work well with BBI.  I recently switched to Zero bullets but found a load rather quickly with those as well.  All of these loads make major in all of my .40 cal pistols.

3.9gr Titegroup under BBI 200 at 1.18 OAL - This load is a little dirty/smoky due to Titegroup being a hot burning double base powder.  It melts the Hi-Tek coating a bit.

4.3gr N320 under BBI 200 at 1.18 OAL - Feels nearly identical to the Titegroup load, but is more consistent.

4.6gr N320 under Zero 200 at 1.175 OAL - I haven't shot enough of this to know how it feels or compares to the BBI load.  I just worked up the load to make major.

Curious of the switch from BBI to Zero?  BBI supports CKARMS shooting team and the price break makes them cheaper than anything else I've found.  Right now I've only shot their 147s for 9mm.  I still have around 5K jacketed 180 grain bullets left.   My thought was to make the switch when those are gone.  

I've been using 200s for both bowling pin comps and USPSA for a while.

Glock 35 KKM barrel

4.7 WST 

4.9 Autocomp 

Both at 1.13 with small rifle primers make 170pf in my gun.

WST is a soft push  AC a bit more pronounced.  Both are great to shoot.  

Edited by mikeone
Data edit

On 3/1/2018 at 5:24 PM, RangerTrace said:

Curious of the switch from BBI to Zero?  BBI supports CKARMS shooting team and the price break makes them cheaper than anything else I've found.  Right now I've only shot their 147s for 9mm.  I still have around 5K jacketed 180 grain bullets left.   My thought was to make the switch when those are gone.  

I still love the BBI bullets, but my team picked up Zero as a sponsor this year so I decided to try some.  I haven't use them extensively yet, just worked up a load that makes major and is consistent.  I will still be shooting through my stock of BBI at club matches and practice with the Zeros being my major match bullet.  Our pricing is decent, so I'm not really losing much with the switch.

After years of running WSF with 180 Bullets I’m switching to 200 gr. My load is an S&S 200gr high tech coated bullet with 3.7 gr of sport pistol. This load is giving me 850fps out of my M&P 5” pro. So far I really like it. 

Glock 35, KKM Barrel, Vogel rear, Warren front, 7k rounds on the barrel________      

200gr Poly coated with 3.6gr N320 at 1.130-3 gets me 168K ........ Best I got for me at 25y is 4"ash
200gr Hornady XTP with 4.3gr N320 1.130-3 gets me 168K ........ Got me a rounded 3" at 25y
220gr Moly coated with 3.2gr N320 is 785FPS and squib-a-licious so if you do it it must be 1.130 and minimum 800fps with the afore mentioned gear.

Im still searching for the 200gr Poly perfect OAL and crimp though.

Trace, I just ran these out of my new Titan, 5" KKM barrel, two 10 round strings, 1.185 OAL, E3 powder.

200 Montana Gold CMJ 3.8 gr 171PF

200 Precision Delta FMJ 3.8, 170PF

180 MG and 180 PD JHP at 4.2 were 172 PF.  The 180 MG were incredibly accurate. 1.5" group at 25y.  Probably not worth the additional cost unless I was shooting a major match, which is far away for me.  Overall, I preferred the recoil of the PD 200, but we're talking a very slight noticeable difference, at least for me.  The PD 200's were the least accurate.  However, I'd be completely satisfied with either bullet in 180 or 200.  

I loaded up some Blue Bullets 180/200 in a ladder and will shoot those next week.

• 3 months later...

I switch regularly between 180 and 200s, bbi and acme.

I thought the 180s would be a faster slide thus faster on the timer, but not the case for me.

In league I use 180 but matches 200s.

200gr bbi and acme, rs competition 3.8, wst 4.1.

I love coated bullets out of my cz ts.

Have only ever shot 200 gr. out of my .40's.  Was using Xtreme 200 gr RNFP with 4.3 gr of WST @ 1.135", which made 172ish PF.  I'm in the process of switching to 200gr Blues and dropping the powder down a little.  Preliminary testing shows the Blues to be faster (~ 50 fps on avg) than the Xtreme with the same powder charge, which equates to about another 5-7 on the PF scale.  Wanting to settle in to the 170PF area....starting with 4.0 gr of WST and working up.

My current gun also appears to like Blues better....little better accuracy and no keyholing.

• 1 month later...

I'm working up a load for 200gr bullets (currently trying BBI and Gallant) using Prima SV.  I'm a bit bummed that I can't seem to bell the case enough (if I bell too much, then the case scrapes during seating) to prevent every 5th or so bullet from scraping  during seating.  This is with Redding dies, I've got some Dillons on the way to see if they are better.