Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JHP

wingnut

Wingnut....I’m right behind you...moving to open as well.

as per suggestions here ordered RMR RN and HP 124 9mm and accucomp to start figuring this Major 9 stuff out.

Right now I’m loading Minor to use up some of my inventory.

let me know how you progress!!!....Good luck......

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

What is it about the RMR that you don't like, as much as the PD's ?

Nothing major. I get just slightly better groups from the PD's, but just slightly, and they don't smoke quite as much, but neither smoke much.   

My preferred bullet for open is a Zero 125 grain, .356 jhp.

No exposed lead in the back, and being .356, instead of .355, a little more accurate.

With that said, I've mostly changed to Precison Delta 124 grain jhps. They aren't as pretty as Zeors, or, quite as accurate, but, they will still shoot sub 2" groups at 50 yards, and the price is considerably less.

Over the years, I've tried several Montana Golds, and had to use more powder to make the same pf, and in MY guns, accuracy sucked.

Everybody seems to have a different opinion on what they deem as acceptable accuracy. For me, with an open gun, I'm not happy with any groups over an inch, at 25 yards.

5 minutes ago, RH45 said:

Over the years, I've tried several Montana Golds, and had to use more powder to make the same pf, and in MY guns, accuracy sucked.

Everybody seems to have a different opinion on what they deem as acceptable accuracy. For me, with an open gun, I'm not happy with any groups over an inch, at 25 yards.

I have always used MG bullets but yes, they are rock hard jackets and sometimes undersized(.3545).That combination makes them slower. I also like an open gun to be pretty accurate because the dot lets you take advantage of barrel gaps, wall gaps, head shots etc. That advantage is moot if your bullets are not flying true.

I switched to MG’s from PD’s at the beginning of the season. For me, Montana Gold 124jhp were a little more accurate in my gun than the PD 124jhp. Yeah, it took a tiny bit more powder to make the same power factor and I may be crazy, but it also felt like it made my gun softer and flatter with the MG’s. There is only .003 cent difference now per bullet since MG put their bullets on “sale.” 

I couldn't get PD's to group well for me but that was a little after they first came out and things could have changed since then.  MG's are slightly undersized and are a little slower but they are very accurate.  Zero's are still my favorite, though.