Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
fastlane604

Sig P320 X5 and IDPA

The Spring Edition of IDPA's Tactical Journal extolls the virtues of the Sig P320 X5 and promotes it as the "new contender for king of Enhanced Service Pistol."  The story includes a picture of the X5's 5 inch "bull barrel."  The Sig website promotes the "bull barrel" as being heavy and reducing felt recoil.

IDPA rule 8.1.8 C disallows heavy and/or conical barrels unless otherwise allowed in certain divisions. ESP allows them only if they are no longer than 4.25 inches.  How, under current rules, is an X5 with a heavy 5 inch bull barrel legal?  What am I missing?

Lots of discussion here.  http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/248553-bull-barrels/

Consensus seems to be that the rules actually only state "heavy and cone style" barrels are illegal, nothing specifically "bull."  Therefore, its more of a marketing term by Sig and the IDPA does not feel the X5 barrel is significantly heavier than the normal barrel, so its not a "heavy" barrel and it certainly is not a cone barrel.  Therefore its legal.

10 minutes ago, jsykes said:

Lots of discussion here.  http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/248553-bull-barrels/

Consensus seems to be that the rules actually only state "heavy and cone style" barrels are illegal, nothing specifically "bull."  Therefore, its more of a marketing term by Sig and the IDPA does not feel the X5 barrel is significantly heavier than the normal barrel, so its not a "heavy" barrel and it certainly is not a cone barrel.  Therefore its legal.

Thank you for the clarification.

I dont know if that is the correct clarification, just what seems to be a consensus on it.

I know the barrel on the X5 is definitely not a cone barrel and its far lighter than the bull barrel in my uspsa gun, so while it is a little heavier than the standard 320 barrel, its not significant, so it seems to make sense.

Delete please.

Edited by johes
Delete

And you can take off the provided mag well funnel and downconvert it to SSP. 

It's special, don't you know. 

Yup, as already mentioned, its 100% legal and without the magwell its SSP legal too. Check out this quick note that IDPA sent out last summer to its members about the X5... 

I picked up an X five, for carry optics.

I believe it's probably the most accurate, plastic pistol I've ever shot, when I wasn't jerking the trigger, but, as far as felt recoil, and muzzle jump go, I think my 5" , 2.0, M&P has less recoil and muzzle jump.

20 hours ago, RH45 said:

I picked up an X five, for carry optics.

I believe it's probably the most accurate, plastic pistol I've ever shot, when I wasn't jerking the trigger, but, as far as felt recoil, and muzzle jump go, I think my 5" , 2.0, M&P has less recoil and muzzle jump.

I agree. I have found by playing with loads and the recoil spring weight (gun is heavily oversprung from the factory) its become one hell of a flat shooting plastic gun too.

Leave the mag well on and stick a 40 top end on and you have a Limited pistol for USPSA. That is if the available 140mm base pads will fit with the factory SIG well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sig is probably funneling some money into IDPA somehow. Of course, this is going to open the door to "what about.....". 

On 2/17/2018 at 9:00 PM, Tokarev said:

Leave the mag well on and stick a 40 top end on and you have a Limited pistol for USPSA. That is if the available 140mm base pads will fit with the factory SIG well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I already have a 6"full custom STI, and a semi custom, 5"STI

I don't think an xfive would out shoot either.

so based on all this ruling my Infinity sight tracker would be legal as well as long as it makes the weight

On 5/3/2018 at 6:29 PM, valerko said:

so based on all this ruling my Infinity sight tracker would be legal as well as long as it makes the weight

No, because, unless your sight tracker is different than most I've seen, it has a heavy/cone barrel, which is illegal. 

it has a bull barrel , not heavy /coned so...

same way Bull barrel is not heavy on X5 :)