Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig P320 X5 and IDPA

fastlane604

The Spring Edition of IDPA's Tactical Journal extolls the virtues of the Sig P320 X5 and promotes it as the "new contender for king of Enhanced Service Pistol."  The story includes a picture of the X5's 5 inch "bull barrel."  The Sig website promotes the "bull barrel" as being heavy and reducing felt recoil.

IDPA rule 8.1.8 C disallows heavy and/or conical barrels unless otherwise allowed in certain divisions. ESP allows them only if they are no longer than 4.25 inches.  How, under current rules, is an X5 with a heavy 5 inch bull barrel legal?  What am I missing?

Lots of discussion here.  http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/248553-bull-barrels/

Consensus seems to be that the rules actually only state "heavy and cone style" barrels are illegal, nothing specifically "bull."  Therefore, its more of a marketing term by Sig and the IDPA does not feel the X5 barrel is significantly heavier than the normal barrel, so its not a "heavy" barrel and it certainly is not a cone barrel.  Therefore its legal.

10 minutes ago, jsykes said:

Lots of discussion here.  http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/248553-bull-barrels/

Consensus seems to be that the rules actually only state "heavy and cone style" barrels are illegal, nothing specifically "bull."  Therefore, its more of a marketing term by Sig and the IDPA does not feel the X5 barrel is significantly heavier than the normal barrel, so its not a "heavy" barrel and it certainly is not a cone barrel.  Therefore its legal.

Thank you for the clarification.

I dont know if that is the correct clarification, just what seems to be a consensus on it.

I know the barrel on the X5 is definitely not a cone barrel and its far lighter than the bull barrel in my uspsa gun, so while it is a little heavier than the standard 320 barrel, its not significant, so it seems to make sense.

I picked up an X five, for carry optics.

I believe it's probably the most accurate, plastic pistol I've ever shot, when I wasn't jerking the trigger, but, as far as felt recoil, and muzzle jump go, I think my 5" , 2.0, M&P has less recoil and muzzle jump.

20 hours ago, RH45 said:

I picked up an X five, for carry optics.

I believe it's probably the most accurate, plastic pistol I've ever shot, when I wasn't jerking the trigger, but, as far as felt recoil, and muzzle jump go, I think my 5" , 2.0, M&P has less recoil and muzzle jump.

I agree. I have found by playing with loads and the recoil spring weight (gun is heavily oversprung from the factory) its become one hell of a flat shooting plastic gun too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2018 at 9:00 PM, Tokarev said:

Leave the mag well on and stick a 40 top end on and you have a Limited pistol for USPSA. That is if the available 140mm base pads will fit with the factory SIG well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I already have a 6"full custom STI, and a semi custom, 5"STI

I don't think an xfive would out shoot either.

• 2 months later...
On 5/3/2018 at 6:29 PM, valerko said:

so based on all this ruling my Infinity sight tracker would be legal as well as long as it makes the weight

No, because, unless your sight tracker is different than most I've seen, it has a heavy/cone barrel, which is illegal. 

• 1 year later...

I want to shoot my new X5 in ESP. The biggest issue I see is the weight of the gun being 43.5oz with an IDPA limit of 43oz. Seems the options are:

1. Swap AL basepads with plastic - doubt that will gain a half ounce

2. Remove mag well - really don't want to as the gun looks good with it

3. Cut something like a third off the internal grip weight. -  I see where I can't add internal weight but no rule saying removing it isn't permitted

Really looking for a discussion on option 3.

Thanks.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:13 PM, valerko said:

it has a bull barrel , not heavy /coned so...

IDPA says 1911 Bull Barrels are coned. In theory if yours don't have a flare on the end or a taper to it, and it's the same diameter all the way back you would be legal.  Most 1911 bull barrels I've seen aren't like this. And even then you'll likely need to argue at equipment check.

I believe Akia builds a gun with a bull barrel and a custom bushing so it's technically a "bushing barrel" this would likely be legal too.

I've yet to hear of anyone trying either of these options. I have a limited gun with a bull barrel and a bushing barrel so I just swap  barrels to shoot idpa. And yes, the rule is dumb and should be changed.

2 hours ago, mcracco said:

I want to shoot my new X5 in ESP. The biggest issue I see is the weight of the gun being 43.5oz with an IDPA limit of 43oz. Seems the options are:

1. Swap AL basepads with plastic - doubt that will gain a half ounce

2. Remove mag well - really don't want to as the gun looks good with it

3. Cut something like a third off the internal grip weight. -  I see where I can't add internal weight but no rule saying removing it isn't permitted

Really looking for a discussion on option 3.

Thanks.

I think that if you just go with plastic basepads, and remove the magwell, you should make weight 

Well this is interesting:

Legion aluminum basepad: 5/8 oz

Standard plastic basepad: 1/8 oz

So a Legion X5 plastic (taller) will weigh more than the standard but that's damned close. Having a plastic version made so we will see.

• 5 weeks later...

I have 2 Grand Power pistols.  A K100 and an x-calibur.  The x-cal is illegal because of its barrel.  It’s clearly a cone but weight wise it’s hardly a heavy barrel. It comes in at 4.79oz and the k100 is right around 1 oz less at 3.74oz.  The x-cal barrel is also 0.6” longer so it’s going to be heavier.  I’d suspect if there was a 5” k100 barrel it would be similarly weighted.  But the shape disqualifies my favorite pistol.  

Im not sure because I don’t own a x5 but I’d venture to guess the barrel is probably 1oz heavier than a regular P320 barrel that’s around 0.3” shorter. 

It certainly makes me lean towards shooting IPSC (USPSA) over IDPA.