Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staff Day

kpbaer

What's everyone thoughts on non staff shooting on staff day. I think the non staff paid there money and just want to shoot leaving the staff to run and score everyone. I don't blame them for that but think it would be better for the staff only to shoot on those days.

24 minutes ago, kpbaer said:

What's everyone thoughts on non staff shooting on staff day. I think the non staff paid there money and just want to shoot leaving the staff to run and score everyone. I don't blame them for that but think it would be better for the staff only to shoot on those days.

Staff runs and scores everybody on non staff days too. ?

In Area 8 the Sectional and Championship matches fill up within a hour of opening.  So you get wait listed.  Shoots are Fri, Sat, Sun.  Staff day is Thu.  The MD will often allow non-staff to shoot on Thu to fill out squads, or for emergencies.  I don't have any problem with that.

Edited by zzt

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Staff runs and scores everybody on non staff days too. ?

that's pretty much how it should be. As long as you have plenty of staff in each squad, it's not really a problem. 5-6 staff members on a squad means no one gets stuck running the timer or scorekeeping for too long so everyone gets to focus on their shooting.

I've shot on staff day when I wasn't staff (accidentally registered on that day, doh), and I've shot as staff with non-staff shooters. Works out just fine both ways, and it allows more people into the match.

45 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

that's pretty much how it should be. As long as you have plenty of staff in each squad, it's not really a problem. 5-6 staff members on a squad means no one gets stuck running the timer or scorekeeping for too long so everyone gets to focus on their shooting.

I've shot on staff day when I wasn't staff (accidentally registered on that day, doh), and I've shot as staff with non-staff shooters. Works out just fine both ways, and it allows more people into the match.

Thats what I try to set up. This year we will have only 4 staff on some squads but more on the rest. When you run 10 squads its pretty tough to come up with 50-60 staff. The important thing is that paying customers do not run,score, etc other shooters.

The few times I have shot a major on the Staff schedule I helped RO and score keep the squad exactly how its done during Club matches. I wasn't "Staff" for those matches so I wasn't required to work. But I am also not a typical "consumer" expecting everyone else to cater to me just because I paid an entry fee. My MD/RM/RO/CRO blood runs deep and its impossible for me to sit back and wait my turn when staff is struggling. Especially when I am shooting on a schedule where its supposed to be the staff's opportunity to enjoy the match. 

If you are match staff and get stuck with a dead beat squad of non-staff on your shooting schedule, crack the whip!!!

Here’s my take from a volunteer: staff day is a reward for work to run an upper-level match in a low stress environment with folks I know. Match day is full of M’s and GMs who have traveled far to shoot a good match. They don’t need a local enthusiastic D shooter mucking up their squad. Besides, isn’t Staff day a chance for the MD to perfect the stages? Wouldn’t a paying participant risk having their stage score thrown out if an adjustment needs to be made?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Here’s my take from a volunteer: staff day is a reward for work to run an upper-level match in a low stress environment with folks I know. Match day is full of M’s and GMs who have traveled far to shoot a good match. They don’t need a local enthusiastic D shooter mucking up their squad. Besides, isn’t Staff day a chance for the MD to perfect the stages? Wouldn’t a paying participant risk having their stage score thrown out if an adjustment needs to be made?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He understands everything <sigh> ... 

I remember volunteering to RO the ROs at an area-level match some years ago (~15). I got a reduced rate on my entry and it would help out the ROs, so why not?

While meeting with the MD on Thursday evening to get last-minute instructions, stage documentation and assignments, it was told to us that the Friday shooters (the ROs) were not to do anything but shoot. A couple of back-and-forths later, I asked the following, just be sure what I was hearing:

So you're saying that each of us is to singularly setup the squad paperwork (scoresheets; no Nooks then), run the shooter, go back and score the stage, then go back again and reset the stage, and then start over again with the next one, with no help from the squads?

Answer:  Well, they ARE working all day Saturday and Sunday so this should be their change to focus on shooting.

I don't what happened on the other stages, but I told every squad they came though that I needed their enthusiastic assistance to get done in a reasonable time. Not one person complained or felt abused by this.

I think it was a matter of an optimistic MD who almost never shot matches any longer, didn't actually work as range staff any longer, who then dreamed up an realistic scenario thinking it would best serve the staff.

I worked one match and was the only RO on the squad. That doesn't make for a good match for myself. That's why if it was all staff each person could focus more on shooting and have less stress. We have a good core group that works and shoots together so why cant we shoot together on staff day. I feel its my responsibly to help out but it would be a much better shooting day if I just paid and shot on the regular day.

On 2/9/2018 at 5:46 PM, Mcfoto said:

Besides, isn’t Staff day a chance for the MD to perfect the stages? Wouldn’t a paying participant risk having their stage score thrown out if an adjustment needs to be made?

If you make an adjustment on staff day, you still need to make sure anyone who has already shot reshoots the stage. I've won 2 state championships where I worked the match and shot on staff day, so I am unwilling to tolerate any change in procedure for those days that would taint those wins.

I have worked a match where we were essentially proofing the stages and putting the finishing touches on them as we shot them, but we made sure everything was nailed down tight before we shot, or if a problem cropped up that required a change midway through (shoot-through, unsafe condition, whatever), those that had already shot had to reshoot.

btw, most gm's and m's don't mind shooting with c's and d's as long as they pull their weight and are not know-it-all doofuses.

I like it when non-staff shoots on a staff day, for some of the reasons moto gives above.

From an RM and an MD viewpoint, it means that I won't have to worry about complaints from shooters that "they did it differently on staff day" --- if that was true, non-staff would know about it.    No, we didn't adjust any stages after people had shot it without requiring reshoots.  No, staff didn't get to do things differently.

On the staff days for A3 and the Great Plains Sectional (matches I've worked in recent years) the majority of the people on the squad are staff, with a few non-staff folks.  This means that the staff remembers to run it exactly like it will be run the rest of the time, and there is plenty of staff to shift the jobs around so no one has to work all the time.  And there are non-shooters there who can see directly that we run it just like it is run the rest of the time with the non-staff shooters.

Does it have to be that way?  Not at all.  But I certainly don't see the problem with it, and I rather like precluding made-up complaints about how staff gets special treatment in some way.  (As long as there is plenty of staff on the squad to share the work load.)