Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pcc recoil

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2018 at 2:54 AM, stick said:

why wouldn't it work?  A buffer tube is a buffer tube except for length in a carbine or rifle length tube.

Maybe not...

Trinity Force mil spec carbine-length tube failed on my 9mm AR first time out.

IMG_6614.jpeg.1c44f49689d368447a2245ca8ff2bb52.jpegIMG_6613.jpeg.2f70172cda358cf09017b46c2be2ca61.jpegIMG_6612.jpeg.3f1f9468f6bf14d5804e378d3430df43.jpegIMG_6611.jpeg.7f28ebddfd8bc021f8318815e4128f6a.jpeg

On 2/6/2018 at 3:54 AM, stick said:

why wouldn't it work?  A buffer tube is a buffer tube except for length in a carbine or rifle length tube.

Commercial tubes have a larger diameter than Mil-spec tubes. Generally around 20 thousands larger. 

When using a Commercial stock on a Mil-spec tube the fit will be somewhat loose. Conversely, when using a Mil-spec stock on a Commercial tube you will probably have to drive it on with a hammer.

The lower receiver threads are rolled onto the Mil-spec tube whereas they are cut into the Commercial tube.

The major factor in this discussion, however, may be the type of material from which they are made. Mil-spec tubes are extruded fro series 70 aluminum and Commercial tubes are made from series 60. Series 60 is usually less expensive and is also weldable. Welding the end cap to the tube body is sometimes done to further reduce cost.

All this leads many to believe that Commercial buffer tubes are weaker.

I am not so sure and believe that other things should be looked at including: Loads, spring strength, spacers with sharp edges, buffers with worn or nonexistent bumpers, etc.

Then on the other hand it may simply be a cheap piece of crap and broke. :lol:

correct.......THAT tube was a cheap POS........never seen any THAT thin in the back.......normally 3/4" or more

Damn lucky you didn't eat a spring or buffer!!

Edited by TRUBL
1 hour ago, MikieM said:

Commercial tubes have a larger diameter than Mil-spec tubes. Generally around 20 thousands larger. 

When using a Commercial stock on a Mil-spec tube the fit will be somewhat loose. Conversely, when using a Mil-spec stock on a Commercial tube you will probably have to drive it on with a hammer.

The lower receiver threads are rolled onto the Mil-spec tube whereas they are cut into the Commercial tube.

The major factor in this discussion, however, may be the type of material from which they are made. Mil-spec tubes are extruded fro series 70 aluminum and Commercial tubes are made from series 60. Series 60 is usually less expensive and is also weldable. Welding the end cap to the tube body is sometimes done to further reduce cost.

All this leads many to believe that Commercial buffer tubes are weaker.

I am not so sure and believe that other things should be looked at including: Loads, spring strength, spacers with sharp edges, buffers with worn or nonexistent bumpers, etc.

Then on the other hand it may simply be a cheap piece of crap and broke. :lol:

I stand corrected on my earlier comment.  I didn't even think of commercial tubes.

22 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Looks like an Airsoft item to me. That could have beeingo!!!Bry bad situation! Thanks, Eric

Bingo!!!      I think Eric is correct.       That's the kind of "mil-spec" stuff flooding Ebay.  Best to be cautious or avoid all together.