Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPP or RTS2

calvinc78

Getting back in Open after a little time away and pretty much decided on going with a DPP or RTS2.

Last I played in Open RTS2’s were failing left and right, is this still happening?

A friend told me the DPP is the way to go, I’ve  read some failures on here now. What’s seems to be the  consensus on these sights versus each other? 

I  made the change to the Delta Point on all my open pistols ( 3 ) and could not be happier. The RTS2 cost me more than one stage in the past from shutting off in the middle of a run. A good friend and GM in open also made the change after his RTS2 cost him a stage at a major . You can leave them on and the batteries don't go dead , they time out when not in use. The adjustments never move and are just overall a better quality optic IMO.

I prefer the DPP mostly due to battery life. The DPP battery seems to last forever, but my RTS2 needs a new battery every month if it makes it that long. Mine is the V4 with 8moa dot. It’s never failed other than battery getting weak and luckily never during a match.

Edited by mscott

This is one of those questions that will get wildly varying opinions. The original RTS2 had quite a bad reputation for shutting off etc, but near as I can tell that has all been rectified. The RTS2 DOES have auto shut off. My battery lasted all season under normal weekly match use. And, mine has worked perfect since the day I mounted it on the gun. The newest RTS2 versions are great sights. Buy with confidence.

I know quite a few top shooters that swear they will never use another DPP after having them fail and cost them a stage at major matches. I would steer clear of both of these brands for the foreseeable future until both companies can get their issues squared away.  

The issue with the early RTS2s was that the battery would temporarily disconnect under recoil forces which effectively turned the unit off.  After several other attempted fixes the V4 went to dual capacitors which maintain a current to the unit during these brief interruptions of power and keep the unit powered up.  There are plenty of reasons to prefer one over the other but the old issues of the RTS2s turning themselves off are just that, old issues that should not guide your decision.  

Edited by Neomet

I have DPP on my open guns and my CO guns. I prob have 15,000 rounds on one DPP which started on an open gun and is now on my CO gun. Not 1 issue. 

Ive seen multiple GMs have issues with the early RTS2. I think they have it sorted out by now, but I just like the DPP better..

It's astounding to me that Sarge's RTS2v4 battery last all season, but none of mine will last more than a match or two.  I have three RTS2v4 (yes, they are confirmed v4s) in 6 MOA.    2.8V is the cutoff for these sights.  At 2.8 or below, you risk having them cut off during a stage.  It happened to me twice.  Now I put a new battery in before every match.  I have one of them that will not last an entire 8-stage SC match unless I turn the dot down between stages.  The best of them will run the whole match at full brightness.  I love the sights, but I've removed them from all pistols I use for SC.  Starting at 3.3V from a new battery, all of the will be at 3.0V or under at the end of the match.

I replaced the RTS2v4 on my SC pistols with DPP 2.5s.  While I like the glass on the RTS2 better, I like everything else about the DPP better.  I don't know how long the battery lasts, because I haven't replaced one yet.  The oldest is on one of my Open guns..  The DPP 2.5 dot is brighter than the RTS2 dot, and it stays that way for the entire match.

All of my dots are slide mounted. All three types (Burris FF3, RTS2v4, DPP) hold their zero for the whole season.  The DPP is the only one that stays bright enough for SC when the sun is behind you.  The other two are fine for USPSA cardboard.  If there is a lot of steel in a match, I'd prefer the DPP.

1 minute ago, zzt said:

It's astounding to me that Sarge's RTS2v4 battery last all season, but none of mine will last more than a match or two.  I have three RTS2v4 (yes, they are confirmed v4s) in 6 MOA.    2.8V is the cutoff for these sights.  At 2.8 or below, you risk having them cut off during a stage.  It happened to me twice.  Now I put a new battery in before every match.  I have one of them that will not last an entire 8-stage SC match unless I turn the dot down between stages.  The best of them will run the whole match at full brightness.  I love the sights, but I've removed them from all pistols I use for SC.  Starting at 3.3V from a new battery, all of the will be at 3.0V or under at the end of the match.

I replaced the RTS2v4 on my SC pistols with DPP 2.5s.  While I like the glass on the RTS2 better, I like everything else about the DPP better.  I don't know how long the battery lasts, because I haven't replaced one yet.  The oldest is on one of my Open guns..  The DPP 2.5 dot is brighter than the RTS2 dot, and it stays that way for the entire match.

All of my dots are slide mounted. All three types (Burris FF3, RTS2v4, DPP) hold their zero for the whole season.  The DPP is the only one that stays bright enough for SC when the sun is behind you.  The other two are fine for USPSA cardboard.  If there is a lot of steel in a match, I'd prefer the DPP.

Well, to be fair, I never leave a sight on during the whole match. I turn it on at Make ready and off before holstering.

That's what I do for my worst one Sarge.  You get a season; I get a day.  Same thing with my Slideride.  I get exactly 1 1/2 matches out of a new battery before the dot gets annoyingly dim.  Yes, I do turn if off after every stage.

I guess I have been lucky with my RTS2 sights. I have been using mine for dry fire, practice and matches and the battery hold up. Now I do change the batteries every other month to make sure they do not go out on me. 

I have 2 RTS2's (1 on open pistol &1 as secondary on 3 gun rifle).  Mine have worked perfect for the last year. I change my batteries at the beginning and the middle of the season. Never had a battery give up. 

Put an Rts2 on this past April and mine eats through batteries too.  I also shut it off between stages and mine only last about a month. That’s with one 2 stage practice night a week and 2 local 4-6 stage monthly matches. My slide ride battery  seems to last 1/2 the season. 

Edited by robb315

I have 3 RTS2 sights...  One on a Ruger 22/45 Steel Challenge gun that has never failed...  and 2 for my Open gun, which have now both failed.

I performed the "remove the battery and reinsert it" test on both of the RTS2 sights I use on my Open gun and both passed...  indicating version 4 circuit boards...  they have both failed...  They both stopped while running a stage and would never turn on again...  not even with new batteries.

When C-More repaired my first RTS2, they said the upgraded it to a version 4 circuit board, so I guess the on-off test doesn't really show that you have a version 4 circuit board...  I'm running that sight in my Open gun now.

My second RTS2 is currently at C-More...  Hopefully they'll repair it and send it back to me before the Florida Open.

I went through three RTS2's in six months. Two had catastrophic failures where the glass shattered and the other kept clicking off even after the V4 upgrade. I now run DPP's and they are phenomenal. The glass is clear, excellent battery life and a very bright dot - I highly recommend. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have run both RTS2 and DDP. They both have failed me in the past. I dont like how bulky the DDP is and I do not like the  on and off button. I am currently running 3 RTS V4 with no battery issues. The only problem I have had with them is the glass came loose.