Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paleo works for me

lfine

Much to the continuous chagrin of my wife and daughter, I decided to try eating paleo last summer. Lost 25-30 lbs (175-180 down to low 150s) to a stable fit weight. No big swings in energy or hunger.  PITA sometimes, but overall, get to eat plenty and I can always go off for special occasions.  Thought it was a silly idea when I started, but I figured it was worth a shot.  Just thought I'd throw that out there for those of you who are looking for a way to avoid energy swings and drop a few. Basically, according to a BMI calculator, i went from overweight to normal and I just stay at this weight without trying.

It's fine FOR A TIME but I don't think you wish to live the rest of your life on a strict Paleo Diet.

I'd say use it to "cut weight" then cycle on and off with reasonable, well-thought out, vigorous exercise regime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been on the Carb Nite Solution ultra-low carb diet for 5-6 weeks now. Down 15#s so far. It's designed to be a 6 month tops diet to retrain the body from burning carbs to burning ketones. After the diet, go on a sensible reduced carb intake. If you need to cycle back on after a month or two, you can. Throughout, there is a weekly carb night (hence the name) to fuel metabalism thru the week. A body builder at work got me and a couple other guys hooked, it's working great so far. 

• 2 months later...

I was hardcore Paleo for about 2 years. Early 40s and ripped. Problem was that I found it to be a miserable existence. Back to the old ways and gained 25 pounds. Guess I need to find the discipline to stay on it because I know the extra weight can't be good for me.

I've been doing keto off and on with good results.  Should give Paleo a try seems like a slightly less restrictive version. Would be nice to not worry about carbs from vegetables.

I'm one of those guys that gained weight on the keto diet. I've switched over to intermitted fasting. I do 16/8 five days a week.  It doesn't make the weight fall off super fast but it does help me from overeating.

18 hours ago, TexasG said:

I'm one of those guys that gained weight on the keto diet. I've switched over to intermitted fasting. I do 16/8 five days a week.  It doesn't make the weight fall off super fast but it does help me from overeating.

I'm doing this as well but limit it to 2 meals and zero snacking. Breakfast, 10-11 hour fast, dinner, 13-14 hour fast, breakfast. 

I am going back on Paleo. My weight yo-yos about 20 pounds as I get on my diet and lose 20 pounds or so in 8 weeks or so. Then, it takes about 2 years for the weight to creep up and rinse and repeat. I have a meal service that will start delivering meals starting this coming Friday. After I lose the weight I might change it to their maintenance menu though and extend the slim phase a bit more than 2 years.

4 hours ago, jmaples71 said:

What does this mean?

I basically have a window for eating between noon and 8 PM. During the eating window I still watch my calorie intake and keep it around 1800. I try to keep my carbs around 100 grams. The rest f the day I do not consume any calories.

• 1 month later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z03xkwFbw4

Aside from the speaker being a bit dry this is one of the best short videos I have seen on diet.  He doesn't advocate a specific diet but talks about how food affects blood glucose and how some people can tolerate different foods while keeping blood glucose and therefore insulin levels low/consistent.  I have to believe within 10 years we will see more people continuously monitoring their blood glucose and being much 'healthier', happier and flexible with their eating.  The TLDR for the video is that there isn't a 'best' diet for humans but a best diet for the individual but to get there you need to know how your body reacts to different foods and that information is hard to gather without continuous monitoring.

Keto and IF (20/4) is amazing for me and works with my lifestyle but it is very restrictive and borderline anti-social when it comes to work events.  I really think Paleo/Primal is the long term solution for myself and plan on transitioning there sometime this year.  

• 1 month later...

I'm currently on Keto/Paleo cycle. 4 weeks of each until I'm back down to my goal weight.

2 weeks in.

Ill do maintenance paleo w/cheat days after that.

Edited by dkamps