Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 3-gun stock

Miggz55

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ambluemax said:

Tac-Mod... Fully adjustable on all axis, limbsaver recoil pad and best cheek piece in the business. [mic drop]

Doesn't the Tac-Mod weigh like 8lbs Adam? Not that I'm a light rifle guy but when I considered the TM a couple years back it seemed a bit porky.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 10:16 PM, alma said:

Once it's set in place I really like the Cole Components. 

By far my favorite stock for competition.  Only negative mark is that it takes a little patience to setup the first time.  

I have a tac mod the machining on it is terrible the rear portion has come loose twice, the clamps bottom out on the tube The clamp system is horrible  on the tac-mod. The limbsaver recoil pad is a terrible thing to put on a small bore .223 as it is very tacky and sticks to your shirt/jersey. It is also pretty heavy. 

F7B4EB27-AF64-4FA7-836A-131E0CE423BE.jpeg

2E037735-F049-43CD-B322-671BF18BC188.jpeg

On 3/30/2018 at 8:34 AM, Wheelsonly said:

I have a tac mod the machining on it is terrible the rear portion has come loose twice, the clamps bottom out on the tube The clamp system is horrible  on the tac-mod. The limbsaver recoil pad is a terrible thing to put on a small bore .223 as it is very tacky and sticks to your shirt/jersey. It is also pretty heavy. 

Good to know about the TacMod.  I had considered getting one years ago when I saw a pic with Daniel Horner using one.  Didn't find any source for one and their website at the time didn't even have ordering information nor did they reply to any e-mails I sent inquiring for one.

I stumbled onto the XLR Industries website during my search and saw that their Tactical stock looked similar.  I ended up ordering one from Exile Machine who became a vendor from my excitement on Calguns to get one.  Interestingly, I had issues with their factory cheekpiece and looking through my scope (Daniel uses a higher scope mount which I noticed later).  I contacted XLR directly and they ended up sending me a clamping piece that didn't even use the cheekpiece.  So far it has worked great.  It even survived mortaring when I had a round stuck with a new JP upper during a class.  Nothing coming loose or moving (just need the right torque on the screws).  It uses ACE stock recoil pads so I don't have the stickiness issue like I do with the Limbsaver pad I have on my shotgun.

https://www.bauer-precision.com/smoke-composites-carbon-fiber-buttstock-open-shoulder-rifle-length/

For short length matches (nothing over 150 yards) I've been running a smoke composites carbon fiber on an ultralight weight ar.  LOVE it-but mine is the open version- can't find a pic of the open...mine weighs ~4oz w/the castle nut and sling eyelet.

For matches with longer range targets, I have a little heavier ar w/a Cole Components... and I LOVE it...just about as much as the smoke.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2018 at 1:04 PM, SlvrDragon50 said:

Could someone explain what you gain from those fancy stocks like the Zulu over a MFT? Complete newb here. Don't really have tooooo big of a problem shouldering my AR except for the muffs.

Looks, cool factor. Mostly

On 2/9/2018 at 11:38 AM, TonytheTiger said:

Doesn't the Tac-Mod weigh like 8lbs Adam? Not that I'm a light rifle guy but when I considered the TM a couple years back it seemed a bit porky.

For 3 gun, my opinion to the OP is that a heavy stock is actually better for many 3gun stages.

2 months ago I was shooting a 7 pound rifle at matches ... I recently started adding weight to my stocks and now that rifle is almost 9 pounds. 

I started adding weight after talking to Jordan at a local match (see video below) and then with Daniel Horner at SMM3G.  I asked Daniel Horner why he ran the heavy Tac-Mod. His explanation was that he can dump a shotgun and retrieve the AR one handed because the (30oz) Tac-Mod balanced the rifle right around the grip.  I've got that on video - planning to upload when I get time to edit.

After 2 months using a heavier stock I've found that a heavy stock makes for 1) much faster offhand shots on 50 yard firehose plates, 2) easier to retrieve the rifle and bring it to shoulder from a barrel or a table, 3) faster side-to-side transitions - mostly because I don't overshoot the targets as often, 4) more comfortable holding the AR in nearly every position, 5) hardly any strain on my wrist running left while holding the rifle in right hand pointed downrange between targets.

I started my weight testing by adding 55g bullets into the empty space between the buffer tube and the butt pad of the stock (remove the stock, dump weight into the hole, and replace the stock).  That added about a pound.  I tried it out with and without the weights in practice and I was faster in several exercises with the extra weight.  Last week I  added more weight bringing my stock up to 34 oz to try out in a rifle match this weekend.    With a 34oz stock with a long LOP (VLTOR A5 and EMOD stock), my lightweight upper balances almost exactly on the center of gravity mark on the upper receiver.  My heavier 18" upper balances exactly at the trigger.  

For context, here's the video talking about heavy stocks and A good video of a fast run with a 10 pound rifle:

Edited by emjbe
My rifle weight was wrong... Corrected from 6lbs to the correct weight of 7lbs.

1 hour ago, TonytheTiger said:

@emjbe  Yeah I have found I prefer a rear balanced rifle. But I really saw all the benefits that you mentioned above (minus #5) when I went to a short length of pull. 

Interesting.

I think I'll try that out. I currently have a very long LOP. thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the Magpul Rifle stock.  It is nice but I feel it is about 1/2" too long.  More like, it would feel nicer if it was 1/2" shorter.  I am 6' tall.

I like the solid feel and weight balance of a fixed stock for my competition gun.  I have not yet tried one of the adjustable comb/spacer style fixed stocks, they look interesting, but just don't want to have to spend the money on one.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Vespid_Wasp said:

I'm probably a dinosaur but I am still using a Magpul UBR.  I too like a rifle with some heft to it.  I am faster with it on rifle plates at 100 yards offhand than with my lighter rifles.

Glad it's not just me. I've found that the UBR balances an 18" barrel with a light-ish handguard really well - puts the center of gravity just forward of the magwell with a loaded mag.

On 3/30/2018 at 3:37 PM, Moloch38 said:

I also shoot the Lancer Carbon stock like the one above (mine is a JP/Lancer hybrid), but I've considered going to the Cole Components with the adjustable choil.

I like my Lancer stock, really depends on the person for adjustment. I have a sling hook between the lower and stock that adds about a 1/4" and makes it fit me well.