Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will an STI HexTac make a good 9mm open gun?

alsipd

I do not have much experience with STI 2011 type guns.

I am looking to possibly convert a 9mm HexTac to an open blaster. 

It has a rail and would need a new barrel w/comp and frame drilled/tapped for a red dot mount.

What else would it need to be safe for 9mm major?

My Open gun uses the same frame as the HexTac, including the light rail. It’s drilled and tapped and has the Brazos slipstream mount with RTS2 on it. It’s in 9Major and is holding up just as well as my wife’s Factory Trubor 9Major. Only drawback I can see would be the facing cut on the front of the slide that would need to be made for fitting the comp and new barrel. If you ever wanted to go back to the original barrel, etc....it might look a little odd. Other than that....it’ll work.

I stand corrected. The HexTac I saw seemed to be a little thin on the frame but it was one of the prototypes so I'm sure some final changes were made before full production. I still think it would be a cool gun especially if you can keep the slide.

My Open gun uses the same frame as the HexTac, including the light rail. It’s drilled and tapped and has the Brazos slipstream mount with RTS2 on it. It’s in 9Major and is holding up just as well as my wife’s Factory Trubor 9Major. Only drawback I can see would be the facing cut on the front of the slide that would need to be made for fitting the comp and new barrel. If you ever wanted to go back to the original barrel, etc....it might look a little odd. Other than that....it’ll work.

Thanks Cheers623, that is the feedback I was looking for. I already have the HexTac in 9mm and I am getting my ass handed to me in Limited as I have a difficult time seeing the sights these days and I did much better with the dot on my m@p but it was not made for open shooting and was showing some wear after just one season. So the M&P is now my limited gun and I will be “upgrading” my HexTac to shoot open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glad I could help. Make sure you get a good gunsmith to do the work. It needn’t be expensive, but does need to be done by someone who’s actually built Open guns before. In theory the lightrailed frame could possibly hold up better than the traditional frame for 9Major, as it’s got a little more material at certain key areas. 

• 1 month later...