Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.56 Case prep

emdcksn

8 hours ago, chinny33 said:

i tried it on my 650 and my results were very sub-par with crimps still in place for 20% of the cases, which was totally unacceptable.

I also experienced a similar issue. I ended up sending a dozen sample cases to the manufacturer and he made me a second punch slightly larger. I am down to about 5% or less fail to swage. For me its acceptable and is a lot faster than doing each 1 on the case prep center.  

I also experienced a similar issue. I ended up sending a dozen sample cases to the manufacturer and he made me a second punch slightly larger. I am down to about 5% or less fail to swage. For me its acceptable and is a lot faster than doing each 1 on the case prep center.  

That’s exactly what I thought when I got one.
It needs to be just a little bit bigger...
I may call and see if I can get a bigger one. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 1050 to process brass and just added a Mark 7 last week to process brass. I am in heaven now! 2100 rounds per hour.
Station 1: Case Enters Press
Station 2: Lee Universal Decapping Die
Station 3: Dillon Swage Die
Station 4: Empty
Station 5: Empty
Station 6: Dillon RT1500
Station 7: Empty
Station 8: Lee M Die

20 hours ago, camaross400 said:

I use a 1050 to process brass and just added a Mark 7 last week to process brass. I am in heaven now! 2100 rounds per hour.
Station 1: Case Enters Press
Station 2: Lee Universal Decapping Die
Station 3: Dillon Swage Die
Station 4: Empty
Station 5: Empty
Station 6: Dillon RT1500
Station 7: Empty
Station 8: Lee M Die

what does the M die do?

UPDATE: Just received Redding sizing die. Tried it and it works flawless and no marks at all in the brass.

Just for the sake of testing, I removed another brand new Forster sizing die for 308 and it also left some marks on my brass.

Also, it seems the pin and ball expander as not properly set from the factory as it crushed two case necks into the case! 

I went ahead and ordered a Redding sizing die.

Now to figure out if I should get a Mark7 for my S1050 for 9mm or get another S1050 to load 5.56? Decisions, decisions. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question on head space. My goal was to be flush with the minimum side of the dillon head space gauge. Forming brass 223 for an AR. When I do that my readings are any where from minus one thousand to plus one thousand mostly zero to negative one. The  only way I seam to get consistant results is to have it set at .002 over flush all of them come out at either .002 or .003 over flush. Any time I try to go down even the slightest I end up with some that go one thousand below flush.  Am I ok with plus .002 and .003 up from flush in a semi auto?  I clean each test piece of brass with brake clean and wipe it down before inserting it into the gauge. I’m well within the spec from the high side of the gauge just can’t seam to get consistant results for either flush or .001 over flush?

Im using a dillon 550 with dillon steel die set. The gauge is a dillon head space gauge that I set in a mill vise with a dial indicator to take the measurements. 

Edited by Alcai