Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.56 Case prep

emdcksn

I think your technique should be based on the tools you have available. The most efficient way I came up with (based on the tools I have) is to clean, then deprime / resize on the single stage, then ream primer pockets with the tool chucked in a hand drill, sort for trim length, trim with a 3-way cutter (trim, chamfer, debur) on a drill powered RCBS trimmer.

Then I prime, charge, seat bullets, and taper crimp on the 550. Its a ton of work :(  I'm handling each piece of brass 4-5 times.

Other guys can do all that on a single machine or with one prep toolhead, a swager, and a finishing toolhead 

Edited by DesertTortoise

I have a Dillon super swage and a Lyman case prep express. Noticed the Lyman reamer leaves a cleaner pocket than the Dillon. Definitely on LC brass with the 4 stake marks. Brass is trimmed and resized with a Dillon RT1500 on a Chucker with all of the in-line fabrication toys the assembled on a 550b for now. Thinking about a xl650 upgrade.

Edited by emdcksn

If you’re using the auto ejector modification for the super swage, it’s a little tight and doesn’t fling them off as well, If you resize first. I think I would deprime and swage first with your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Dillon super swage and a Lyman case prep express. Noticed the Lyman reamer leaves a cleaner pocket than the Dillon. Definitely on LC brass with the 4 stake marks. Brass is trimmed and resized with a Dillon RT1500 on a Chucker with all of the in-line fabrication toys the assembled on a 550b for now. Thinking about a xl650 upgrade.

If you plan to load a fair amount of rifle, I’d seriously consider upgrading to the 1050 for the swagger alone. A prep head and a loading head. It’s expensive but worth it to me. I started with the 550, upgraded to 650 and then to the 1050. Wouldn’t process volumes of rifle brass any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

honestly, I dont trim at all!

I just setup my dillon 1050 just to run through without ever trimming brass.

What I think helps is that I have a RCBS X small base die for 556 and I keep checking the brass to see if trimming is ever needed in my case gages and only 1 out of every 500 or more would need ever the slightest trim which still isnt enough for me to have to run the ammo through the press twice.  thats twice the time and twice the work.  2 kids, a wife & a career...I dont have that time....

I do wash all the brass through my frankford wet tumbler with SS pins to have them super shiny

prep:  cookie sheet and spray away with Dillon case lube

Station 1:  Small Base X Die

Station 2: swager

Prime

Powder Die:  I use the dillon powder dropper ONLY for ball ammo.  Luckily my favorite powders are CFE223 & TAC.

Mr. Bullet Feeder

Redding Competition Seating Die

Redding Competition Crimp Die

done....

throw all loaded ammo into my corn cob Dillon tumbler for 25mins

then I check ALL ammo in batches of 2-5 to make sure the primer is in correctly and no major dents, cracks, flaws in the brass. 

Then I'll case gage 1 out of every 10 or if I can feel any out of place.

done for real this time.

Loading 5.56 for the first time as well. After decaping and cleaning, I lubed a handful of cases and resized them in my Forster Co-Ax press with Forster full size die.

I can tell where the die touched the case as it left some sort marks. Kind of a marring effect and a light ring in the top of the shoulder I guess? Since I have never resized these before, I can't tell if this is normal. 

Attaching a few pics that show a cleaned and decapped case and two resized cases. Could you please tell me if this is normal or if there is something wrong with my die?

IMG_1600.jpeg

IMG_1599.jpeg

IMG_1598.jpeg

IMG_1596.jpeg

IMG_1595.jpeg

8 minutes ago, LowBoost said:

Loading 5.56 for the first time as well. After decaping and cleaning, I lubed a handful of cases and resized them in my Forster Co-Ax press with Forster full size die.

I can tell where the die touched the case as it left some sort marks. Kind of a marring effect and a light ring in the top of the shoulder I guess? Since I have never resized these before, I can't tell if this is normal. 

Attaching a few pics that show a cleaned and decapped case and two resized cases. Could you please tell me if this is normal or if there is something wrong with my die?

IMG_1600.jpeg

IMG_1599.jpeg

IMG_1598.jpeg

IMG_1596.jpeg

IMG_1595.jpeg

Not sure. I use DCL and Dillon carbide dies and there aren’t any marks on my brass. Maybe not enough case lube?

I thought so as well, but I just tried a couple more cases with a little more lube, substantially more lube (Attempting to cause the case to dent) and barely any lube.

Although there was a smidge of a difference, I can still see the "marks". Oh well, I will try contacting Forster or get some other full size die. Redding, etc.

Die is brand new...I will try with barely any lube and see...I am sitting right next to bench. :)

FYI - I am not seeing / feeling any scratches. It is just when I check the case against light, I can see where the die "acted" against the brass. It obviously leaves some trace. I just want to confirm this is normal or if there should be absolutely no trace at all?

Edited by LowBoost

OK - Cleaned the die (even though it is brand new). Believe it or not... it came out dirty! I used some lube with a few patches until clean.

I also re-adjusted the die length, used very little to no Imperial wax, and now it is much better. My OCD still kicks in, so I ordered a Redding full size die just in case.

Maybe I was using too much lube even though I thought it was just a tad?

I don't worry about the dents in the first couple of cases. I know they will be blown away when shot. :)

Thanks for the help. One last question... should I swage before trimming or before resizing?

Edited by LowBoost

1 hour ago, LowBoost said:

OK - Cleaned the die (even though it is brand new). Believe it or not... it came out dirty! I used some lube with a few patches until clean.

I also re-adjusted the die length, used very little to no Imperial wax, and now it is much better. My OCD still kicks in, so I ordered a Redding full size die just in case.

Maybe I was using too much lube even though I thought it was just a tad?

I don't worry about the dents in the first couple of cases. I know they will be blown away when shot. :)

Thanks for the help. One last question... should I swage before trimming or before resizing?

What are you using to swage pockets?

RCBS Trim Mate Station with crimp remover, pocket uniformer, etc. I also have a Dillon Super Swage which I have not really set up, and I also have a CH4D swage die (I can use this in the Forster Co-Ax)

Choose your poison! :)

Edited by LowBoost

4 minutes ago, LowBoost said:

RCBS Trim Mate Station with crimp remover, pocket uniformer, etc. I also have a Dillon Super Swage which I have not really set up, and I also have a CH4D swage die (I can use this in the Forster Co-Ax)

Choose your poison! :)

I have the Lyman case prep center and the SS600. I prefer the SS600. Takes about 2min to dial in. I do separate by Head stamp though.

I honestly prefer the Dillon Super Swager. I just need to find time to set it up correctly. Now that I got a press (S1050) and I am setting things up, I will find time to set it up. I sort by headstamps for pistol (9mm / .45) for 5.56 and 7.62 I will strictly use Lake City brass. Tons of decapped & cleaned 223 & 308 brass I have to sell as I will not use them. :)

Edited by LowBoost

18 minutes ago, LowBoost said:

I honestly prefer the Dillon Super Swager. I just need to find time to set it up correctly. Now that I got a press (S1050) and I am setting things up, I will find time to set it up. I sort by headstamps for pistol (9mm / .45) for 5.56 and 7.62 I will strictly use Lake City brass. Tons of decapped & cleaned 223 & 308 brass I have to sell as I will not use them. :)

Trying totalk myself into a S1050 instead of a 650.

12 hours ago, metalicat30 said:

I swage,size and trim on 1 pass thru my 650(for rifle)....then clean and reload on a 2nd pass thru my 650.

What are you using to swage on your 650?