Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Phoenix Trinity Evo grip.

Chris1911

Hi,

Phoenix Trinity Evo grips do not have a functioning grip safety. Are they acceptable for Metallic Class at the Cup?

Has anyone had a gun passed for a previous years cup with one fitted?

Anyone tried one? I am wondering about trigger bow fit and STI magazine fit.

Edited by Chris1911

I'd say you are out of luck

3.2 Metallic Sight Firearm - Minimum caliber is 9x19mm (9mm); a semi-automatic fi rearm with no more than a 6 1/4-inch barrel length. The front sight not to extend beyond the muzzle, the maximum sight radius to be no more than 8.5 inches. A Revolver’s barrel will not exceed 8 5/8 inches in length; the front sight not to extend beyond the muzzle, the maximum sight radius not more than 11 inches. All standard safety features of guns must operate properly.

The following items are prohibited:
(a) Wings.
(b) Peep, ghost, optical or electronic sights.
(c) Orthopedic grips - no part of the grip may encircle the hand.
(d) Thumb rests.
(e) Compensators or ported barrels

Steven, Thanks for your thoughts. I think the clause that you have quoted means that if the gun has a grip safety it must function. The question is do all Metallic sight guns need a functioning grip safety to qualify.There are custom gun builders producing very high end pistols with Phoenix Trinity grips  ie Atlas Gunworks, Titan. There will be more I am sure.

The manufacturer, Phoenix Trinity, did not include a grip safety function.  While it is based on a 1911 design, there are now so many variations from so many different manufacturers, some who choose incorporate or remove safety functions compared to the 1911 as produced by Colt.  Does anyone else think it would be weird to interpret the rules in such a way that a competitor would be expected to modify his firearm by actually adding a safety function that was not included when the firearm left the factory? 

If so, by the same twisted logic, shouldn't anyone running a 1911 pattern gun be required to incorporate a Series 80 firing pin block since that's how Colt is making them these days?

6 minutes ago, mpolans said:

The manufacturer, Phoenix Trinity, did not include a grip safety function.  While it is based on a 1911 design, there are now so many variations from so many different manufacturers, some who choose incorporate or remove safety functions compared to the 1911 as produced by Colt.  Does anyone else think it would be weird to interpret the rules in such a way that a competitor would be expected to modify his firearm by actually adding a safety function that was not included when the firearm left the factory? 

If so, by the same twisted logic, shouldn't anyone running a 1911 pattern gun be required to incorporate a Series 80 firing pin block since that's how Colt is making them these days?

I follow your logic but wouldn't that be based on his frame used not the grip which isn't a firearm.

Could be, I was assuming the frame was PT too (since they make the frame piece also).  Or how about looking at the bigger picture, since IIRC, gunsmiths now frequently having to have FFL manufacturers licenses.  If a gunsmith is considered to be manufacturing a new gun that doesn't include a functioning grip safety, should a competitor be expected to alter the gun from how it came from the manufacturer/gunsmith and add a safety feature?

I wonder what would happen if someone showed up with a 1911 with one of Bruce Gray's one piece backstraps (mainspring housing and beavertail grip safety are all one piece that slides in...clearly no functioning grip safety)...would their gun not pass tech?

If a handgun frame does not have provision for a grip safety, regardless of the manufacturer it is no longer 1911 patter. Regardless of what other parts fit into it. That is how CZ, Tanfoglio and Star are allowed. The frame is not built to take a grip safety therefore it is no longer 1911 patter regardless of how it looks.

So basically if the rear opening of a frame that allows a sliding trigger to be inserted can be plugged with a part that "could" be made to operate as a grip safety then it must be made to operate as one, regardless of the intent of the firearm manufacturer. 

Edited by MikeBurgess