Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 590M magazine fed pump

Rudukai13

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/1/22/new-for-2018-mossberg-590m-mag-fed-shotgun/

In case anyone missed this. Now, this particular pump model is not much for 3 Gun folks to get excited about, but one imagines it's only a matter of time before Mossberg adapts these new doublestack 12 gauge magazines to the semi-auto 930 - And when that happens...Oh, the possibilities...

The larger magazine in the attached photo is their twenty round magazine - Which as you can see, is about the same size as other 12 gauge ten rounders :wub:

IMG_1364.JPG

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this. Hopefully they make sure new platform instead of adapt these to the 930 that has too many issues.

Or some others make a gun that accepts these mags

I'm sure now that Mossberg has shown it can be done, a lot of other companies that currently produce single-stack box-mag shotguns are going to suddenly figure out how to make their magazines double-stack as well. It shouldn't even require much retooling on the gun side of things, since the double-stack mags have to narrow to single-column feed in order to function properly

• 3 months later...

We in the UK are not likely to see these for a few years yet, but the double stack 20 has got to be the holy grail for this type of shotgun, despite the 'semi' rock-in attachment method. It looks like a 'drop-out' release (hopefully)though.

I use a Valtro PM5 for Practical Shotgun this side of the pond and eliminated the 'rock and lock' by building a mag well with trigger finger release catch, straight in/drop out assembly. While many of my shooting pals use semi autos, I never have ammo issues and can use the lightest stuff available due to it being a pump. Magazine size is always my issue, I run with cactus arms extensions at the moment but am modifying HDM/Typhoon mags to fit at this time I do like pump guns and its great that Mossberg and Remington are now in the mag fed arena (bigger magazines needed Remington!!) 

1718256093_FG(1).JPG.6533523ca4fa4616262234ebe426d3b0.JPG

Valtro PM5 

• 3 weeks later...

For xtian999 a pic of the PM5 mag release and magazine latch block935894967_pm5tfmr(1).JPG.0869de6bed3247fa9bc65312be6a5722.JPG

2080215284_hdmmagmod(3).JPG.d9f8b244b2bd7359ebefb26c32b5b8b7.JPG

On the left is an HDM 5 shot mag, modified to fit the PM5 (the latch block is painted) This was an experiment as the HDM mags are also available in 10 shot. It works fine except for the hold open on empty which I will address by an addition to the follower which will mimic the original. On the right an original 7 round magazine showing the brass catch block which is fixed to the mag through the upper view hole with a countersunk M4 screw and epoxy. There was no drilling/filing or cutting of the original gun and it can be returned to stock simply by replacing parts.

I have seen a lot of semi-auto shotguns go down during matches.  The 590M should be reliable enough to make it through a match without a serious malfunction but is that reliability enough to overcome a semi in a big match?  IDK.

At a competition last year, all and sundry were having stoppages and fails, the eventual winner was shooting a standard Mossberg 500! I believe though that the Benelli's, Vepr's Saiga's, Typhoons and the like will usually carry the day but I choose to shoot left field with either my PM5, Ithaca 37 or 1187. Whichever one I use gives great performance (as long as I do my bit!) and bags of fun!

Well I just got 3rd Trooper at High Desert 3 Gun using one at 95% of the winner's score (1st and 2nd both using semi auto mag feds).  They mostly got me on precision rifle bonuses (didn't use one) and more effective stage planning.

I need to add a choke

If you drop partial magazines unload them all the way before reloading them.  I found out that any mags I topped off that I dropped would malfunction.  I had no other malfunctions during the match.  Once I started doing that I no longer had any malfunctions.

My full review will be in an upcoming issue of RECOIL.

Edited by SinistralRifleman