Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Allowing pistol change at match

mont1120

2 hours ago, DKorn said:

I didn’t even think about situations like that, where you’d want to switch guns because you’ve made a recent change that isn’t working out. 

However, by my reading of 5.1.7, a switch is only allowed if the gun and/or sights become “unserviceable” or “unsafe”. Is “I switched to an m&p recently and realized on the first stage that I’m not used to it yet and want to go back to my Glock” or “I put a new comp on and it isn’t as nice as I thought it would be” enough justification to switch? 

I think unserviceable is MOSTLY in the eye of the beholder, i.e.,the shooter.  I think an argument could be made that a shitty comp makes an open gun unserviceable. lol  And, I guess one could cut their hand during the course of a match and feel an extrtemely sharp textured grip is too painful and want to switch to a more worn gun. Unsafe is another matter. That should be a no brainer. And actually a sharp grip on a cut hand is actually unsafe I guess?

Here's one other concern -- the sport is supposed to test the competitor and the gear.  So, switching because a gun breaks, sure.

Switching to a special gun and load to shoot the long range standards, and then switching back to shoot hoser stages -- that'd be something different.

5 minutes ago, Nik Habicht said:

Here's one other concern -- the sport is supposed to test the competitor and the gear.  So, switching because a gun breaks, sure.

Switching to a special gun and load to shoot the long range standards, and then switching back to shoot hoser stages -- that'd be something different.

The only time I have allowed a switch back was on a broken part that I could confirm the shooter replaced bringing his primary gun back into service.

10 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Mont, Glocks still run with broken parts....   

Yup, a broken firing pin spring works about 90% until you change it and electrical tape around grip will allow mags to stay in when the mag catch spring has cracked.  The only tough breakage I had was loosing a front site on a low port that I got to close too, it was my lucky day, the CRO was a Glock armorer.

^^^^ I only have over 450,000 rounds thru various Glocks, and over 270,000 on my old G17. Mag catch springs never break, ever, it's just a wire.
I've broken a mag catch spring.

Daily dry fire will do it; round count is not relevant.

9x45 is the world's biggest and maybe oldest glock fanboy. I have surmised that he is a true believer in all things glock  from seeing his post on the enos forums. His over the top love of glock knows no bounds. Which is to say, if you have any issue with any glock, it is obviously your fault,  because there is no fault in the all knowing, all powerful glock.  

9x45, I am just yanking your chain, but there may be some truth there. Haha :-)