Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Someone in r/CCW was having issues with their grip & recoil control so I made this video to help people, who may have more issues with that, than me currently.

I've actually had only 2 live fire practice sessions, that focused on the grip and allowed me to improve the recoil control. So if anything is incredibly stupid in this vid - I would be glad to eat dirt and listen to your advice (don't be fooled by the tone of the video, I only look like a douche, I can listen, I promise, plz bb =) )

Ammo used in live fire is 180gr 1020fps Winchester LEO .40 s&w "purple brass" Handgun: CZ P-09

This was originally posted on reddit, but it's kinda dead there in r/CompetitionShooting and people of different subs I tried to share this and other stuff aren't very interested, so I probably should stick to USPSA forums instead or at least leave this here.

Some comments with more advice from reddit users txstgunner & TheHumbleMarksman:

exercises you described: front deltoid raise, upright row, bench press, incline bench, curl to overhead press.

Just to add, don’t forget to squat and deadlift. If you’re doing a lot of pushing/pressing exercises you should do a lot of pulling exercises. Barbell/dumbbell rows, shrugs, pull-ups/chin-ups/neutral

grip pull-ups, facepulls, rear delt flys, lateral delt raises, etc.

But definitely do some variation of squat and deadlift, work in some lunges if you can. Shooting may appear to be upper body only, but it starts with a strong base and strong legs and ass have never hurt anybody.

I’m a strength coach that likes to shoot shit. As far as grip, the grippers are good, doing heavy dumbbell or barbell holds are good, farmers carries for time/distance.

For me, it's like holding a bench press bar after you've just lifted off before you start repping, that's what the pressure feels like coming from each hand.

You're 100% right on the left hand - really do focus on it until it's subconcious and you don't have to anymore. It helps in transitions as well as helps contain muzzle flip and drift due to bad trigger press.

I'd add roll out shoulders so that lats engage. My skin on my hands is total trash from dryfire practice. I developed a bad crack on my right hand middle finger due to the cold dry air we've had this winter.

Don't use your support hand thumb to press into the frame with a grip like that, it makes the sights track less consistently.

On 2/3/2018 at 9:05 AM, MemHeli said:

I enjoyed the video.  Your candid approach mixed with some common sense made the video easy to watch and gave me some things to work on.  Where could I download or print some little adhesive targets like you have on the wall?

www.benstoegerproshop.com also has really nice laser-cut ones at a reasonable price. I resisted spending money on dryfire targets for a long time... but they never really wear out, so I’m glad I spent a few bucks on those eventually.

http://benstoegerproshop.com/accessories/targets/

Stick some clear packing tape to the back of the targets, then stick a loop of blue painter’s tape to that, and you’ll never hurt the cardboard peeling them off the wall ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...