Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So these days for 9mm first reloading - single-stage or progressive

lfine

Looking to finally start reloading my own - all 9mm for the near future. With new product coming out all the time what's today's consensus on first press and equipment to get? Single or progressive? 

And any favorite 147s?

Thanks from a newbie.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you plan to Do? Reload a few rounds for plinking or quite a few rounds for competition/regular practice? If the latter, no way I'd see anyone recommending a single stage as it simply cannot keep up with the pace of consumption.

I started reloading on a Dillon 550 and I would not have had any interest in a single stage for my uses. There will be the camp that says single stage is a good way to learn (valid statement) but I simply did not want to buy single stage just to buy again with progressive. In fact, I'd have gone with a Dillon 650 if I could do it over again

Knowing what I know now and assuming it is in your budget, I would go with a 550 if you plan on doing much uspsa type stuff. If that is too much them then maybe a Lee classic turret. Both are good for whatever and will turn out decent amounts of ammo

I started with a lee classic turret and it almost got me to give up on reloading too soon. Not sure what I had wrong in the setup, but it always took me 2 hours to load 100 rounds. I think most of it was priming related. Once I got a 550, I had no more issue. This year I picked up a Rock Chucker and part of me wishes I would have started there. For the volume I was shooting at the time, it would have been fine. And I use it for small volume calibers where change overs can add up on the 550. I don’t need that much 50 ae or 308.

If you can find someone local who has a 550 or Lee classic turret that’s willing to mentor, that would be great. My mentors all had single stages. One now had a lee classic turret, and primes off the press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started on a RCBS rock chucker singe stage 45 years ago, still have it (bought it used back then)

Great way to learn and it has advantages when working up your loads and for small batch rifle loading etc.

you should plan on getting one some time in the future!!!

Now

Buy a Dillon 550 with the strong mount and it will probably keep you in ammo for the rest of your life.

If you start shooting mass quantities you will eventually get a 650 or 1050

much to the dismay of lots of folks here I'm not a fan of the 650 but I've loaded on 550's ever since they came out. (30-35 years)

If I can't keep up on a 550 I'm using a 1050

550 is your answer  IMO

37 minutes ago, soundlzrd said:

I started with a lee classic turret and it almost got me to give up on reloading too soon. Not sure what I had wrong in the setup, but it always took me 2 hours to load 100 rounds. I think most of it was priming related.

Interesting, my classic turret has been bullet proof on the primers. If I had to prime off the press, I would get rid of it.  In pistol rounds I can do 100 in about 22 minutes without trying  to hurry too much, but I cant sustain that rate for an hour and why I recommend the 550 as well. 100 in about 15 minutes on it and that rate can be pretty well sustained.  4 pulls to make a round on the LCT, gets real old after 100 founds :-)

OP, you've provided scant information, but have received some general guidance.  Spend 4-5 hours on the web reading the many tens of thousands of threads, posts and articles concerning getting started, selecting a press including pros/cons, what you need in addition to a press and many, many more.  

Get a Pro 1000, strip all priming equipment from it.  I prime off the press - a 4 gallon tub at a time - then you are ready to load, be sure to remove the decapping pin from the sizing die,  and it works very well.

The choice of press really depends on how much ammunition you are going to load.  I don't shoot competition any more, but do go out and shoot frequently.  What I've suggested above is a low cost way to load a reasonable amount of ammunition for "hobby" shooting.  I've got 3 of them, 9mm - .45ACP and .223.  This removes any time, effort or additional cost by not having to swap parts around from using just one press.

This won't be a good solution if you practice and shoot competition a lot as it will be more time consuming than using a 1500.  A lot more time consuming !   :D

Edited by Steve RA
missing a letter !

Interesting, my classic turret has been bullet proof on the primers. If I had to prime off the press, I would get rid of it.  In pistol rounds I can do 100 in about 22 minutes without trying  to hurry too much, but I cant sustain that rate for an hour and why I recommend the 550 as well. 100 in about 15 minutes on it and that rate can be pretty well sustained.  4 pulls to make a round on the LCT, gets real old after 100 founds :-)

I know many people love them. I do believe it could have been user error, but I couldn’t seem to find the answer to get it dialed in. I love the 550, and glad I tried it before giving up on reloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got both a single stage and a 650. I’d  punch myself in the face before loading more than 50 to 100 rounds on a single stage. I’d also advocate for the 650 instead because of the auto indexing. Less chance of a double charge. 

Edited by Nathanb

As has been said, much depends on how much shooting you intend.

I would recommend a small single stage such as an RCBS Pardner press and dies, along with a Dillon Square Deal (assuming the single cartridge.  This assumes the two are within your budget.

The single stage will be useful for learning the process, and with load development.  The Square Deal will allow loading in quantity once the load is settled on.

Having the single stage then allows testing new powders or bullets in smaller quantities without changing the Square Deal set-up, until or unless you want to load the new new bullet/powder in quantity.

Guy

I started with a Lee Turret Press (which I still have) then I went with a Lee Pro100 that I had for about a week before selling it.  I bought a Dillon XL650 and I love it.  For what I do, the XL650 is perfect.  I reload 9mm, 45acp, 223, 243 and 308

According to your post you were going to do 9mm only?  If that's the case, I would recommend a Dillon square deal

Like RJH, my experience with the Lee Classic Turret is close to the same.  Many youtubes on finely tuning the primer system and other operations.  Disconnect the turret bar and it's a single stage press.  Quality at a low price if you are not sure you'll like reloading.  I suggest the kit with the auto Drum, not the Pro disk powder measure. 

RickT - you're right, should'e given some more info. Shooting Production USPSA 9mm this summer. Want to make sure I can put together some that Tangfolios like in the 147 range and that's consistent.  I would want to do 200 a week at one time.  I'm not looking to spend any amount but I'm willing to spend smart money.  Room isn't an issue.  Would want to be able to expand to others sometime in the future but no hurry.

Thanks for all the info.  I've got some great places to start thanks to your responses.

The square deal option is definitely interesting.

Edited by lfine
add line

I started reloading in 2015 with a Hornady LNL AP. I've loaded about 15000 rounds since then with no major issues--no squibs or double charges. I've second-guessed my choice a few times, wondering if I should have bought a Dillon 650 instead, but the Hornady has worked out well for me.

I would skip the SDB.  While they are great presses, the fact that you can only use Dillon dies, can't reload rifle, and the upgrade to the 550 is only about $100, makes it a press to skip, IMO.  One day you will want to shoot 3 gun or load a pistol that Dillon doesn't make dies for and you will be screwed.

1 minute ago, RJH said:

I would skip the SDB.  While they are great presses, the fact that you can only use Dillon dies, can't reload rifle, and the upgrade to the 550 is only about $100, makes it a press to skip, IMO.  One day you will want to shoot 3 gun or load a pistol that Dillon doesn't make dies for and you will be screwed.

I disagree.  Didn't the Op state he only shoots 9mm?  If he got the Dillon Square deal and decided to sell it, he wouldn't get burned on the resale.  

11 hours ago, Wheelsonly said:

I I just started myself I went with a 1050 have shot 2000 rounds out it the 1050 not a single Issue. 

How was the recoil out of the 1050? :lol: