Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Classic - Over Weight

Qoo

Picked up a DVC Classic 9mm last month, planning to run this gun in the USPSA Single Stack Minor Division, however it seems over weight out of the box. Changed the following things:

Techwell IPSC SP Magwell

Techwell G10 SureTec Slim Aggressive Grips

Ed Brown Stainless Steel Flat MSH (Possibly go with Aluminum? The stock MSH is aluminum, i believe is made by Dawson)

The current setup with Tripp Research + Dawson Competition Ready Base Pad i am at 44.33 OZ, with the stock magazine i am at 43.98 OZ.

Any suggestion beside changing the MSH to aluminum? Maybe guide rod too?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Gooldylocks said:

Dawson aluminum guide rod or GI recoil system, aluminum or plastic MSH. I would bet that gets you there. 

Thanks for the tips, ordering the Dawson aluminum guide rod and plug, Wilson Combat Aluminum MSH. Hope this will be able to get down to 43 or even less.

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

Had to put the aluminum MSH in mine

And went with a GI guide rod assy.  Gun function is great.

Obviously for years 1911's were run with GI assy in them.

Thanks for the tips, sounds like aluminum MSH is a must to reduce the weight, will try the aluminum guide rod first.

6 minutes ago, Qoo said:

Thanks for the tips, sounds like aluminum MSH is a must to reduce the weight, will try the aluminum guide rod first.

Dawson considers the Al guide rods are considered disposable, so be aware of that. It will probably need changed out much more frequently than a steel one would. 

Just now, Gooldylocks said:

Dawson considers the Al guide rods are considered disposable, so be aware of that. It will probably need changed out much more frequently than a steel one would. 

My friend suggested to buy 2 or 3 of those aluminum guide rods, just have an extra one or two in case needed.....LOL

3 minutes ago, Qoo said:

My friend suggested to buy 2 or 3 of those aluminum guide rods, just have an extra one or two in case needed.....LOL

Good plan haha. Not something you normally think of as a consumable, but I guess "racin' is break'n" would qualify here. 

3 minutes ago, al503 said:

You can also have someone bore/hollow out a steel guide rod and not worry about it wearing out.  

Thanks for your tips, i guess i will go for the aluminum guide rod for now and haven't heard much about the hollow guide rod, so kinda hesitate at this moment.

1 hour ago, Dan Sierpina said:

It doesn't take enough weight out.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.  I didn't mean that it would be enough in and of itself but as an option that would get him closer, Dan.  

Stock STI GR: ~1.57 oz

Drilled STI GR: ~ .86 oz

Dawson Aluminum: ~ .58 oz

A drilled steel rod will get him ~3/4 of the way there and he wouldn't have to worry about having another consumable/something that might fail.  

I might add that the DVC Classic comes from STI with a custom cut Dawson IPSC aluminum magwell and mainspring housing. The housing is cut in at the bottom edge to ensure the pistol fits in the USPSA box. This is also why they cut the beavertail short. So, if you changed out the Mainspring housing to a more tradition one, you will likely no longer fit the box. 

5 minutes ago, BlueBulletBeaker said:

I might add that the DVC Classic comes from STI with a custom cut Dawson IPSC aluminum magwell and mainspring housing. The housing is cut in at the bottom edge to ensure the pistol fits in the USPSA box. This is also why they cut the beavertail short. So, if you changed out the Mainspring housing to a more tradition one, you will likely no longer fit the box. 

With my current setup I can even fit in the IDPA box and I have tried the USPSA box as well there is no problem at all. In and out easily and there is some wiggle room at the bottom of the magazine and the box.

24 minutes ago, al503 said:

Sorry I wasn't more clear.  I didn't mean that it would be enough in and of itself but as an option that would get him closer, Dan.  

Stock STI GR: ~1.57 oz

Drilled STI GR: ~ .86 oz

Dawson Aluminum: ~ .58 oz

A drilled steel rod will get him ~3/4 of the way there and he wouldn't have to worry about having another consumable/something that might fail.  

Thanks for the additional information, like I said earlier haven't heard about it and haven't seen one before, so kind of hesitate to try it, but really appreciate your info though.

1 minute ago, BlueBulletBeaker said:

Another thing you can do is Dremel out the inside of your G10 grips. They are pretty heavy. I did this with several of my Techwell grips. You can safely knock out an ounce in a pair. 

That is exactly what I might do if still not meet the weight limit...lol, actually the grips I got is pretty thin already, might still able to remove a little bit more but not much

Edited by Qoo

2 minutes ago, BlueBulletBeaker said:

for example, this is a G10 VZ I cut half the weight out of. 

grip.jpg

Yea, the original G10 grips got some meat to shave, but the ones I got is the G10 SureTec Aggressive Slim Grips, which is very thin already, hopefully with all those mods can meet the weight limit, otherwise this step will be my next for sure.

Just a quick update to everyone:

I switched to the:

Wilson Combat Aluminum MSH

Dawson Precision Aluminum Guide Rod

With the standard STI factory magazine i am at 41.66 oz now, with the Tripp Research and Dawson Competition Basepad i am at 41.97 oz now. I guess i am good to go.

Thanks for all the helps here guys! 

FYI, My 9mm came in at 43.2oz with the stock mags. I replaced the magwell and grips with Techwell SP and Techwell thinline grips. I kept the stock aluminum MSH housing and ground down the nub the stock magwell bolts to. I'm at 42.4 oz now after adding a mag release button and using a Tripp mag. I was able to keep the stock guide rod.

1 hour ago, Suff said:

FYI, My 9mm came in at 43.2oz with the stock mags. I replaced the magwell and grips with Techwell SP and Techwell thinline grips. I kept the stock aluminum MSH housing and ground down the nub the stock magwell bolts to. I'm at 42.4 oz now after adding a mag release button and using a Tripp mag. I was able to keep the stock guide rod.

Very good information, i guess i can modified the way you did as a backup solution.

Thanks very much!