Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 170mm extensions

jerkeejoe

I’m having an Open Glock custom built and need some 170mm mag extensions. The only ones I’ve found so far are the Taylor Freelance ones. They look nice enough, but I want to know if there are any others available. 

23 hours ago, HoMiE said:

SJC makes a 170mm bigstick, it’s a modified Glock 33 rd mag with arrendondo basepad. You will get 29 rounds similar to the TF +12 extension in 9mm. 

Wow, SJC is incredibly proud of those mags!!!

TF looking to be the best option so far. 

• 2 months later...

I tried the TF base pad for +11 or whatever.  The dumb thing never worked at all.

I ended up making my own from G18 mags, arredondo +5 extensions, and epoxy.  This worked, but required a lot of very careful planning and lots of money.  In the end, my attempts at big sticks turned out to be reliable, but they look ugly.  I think the future magpul option is probably the way to go.

On 1/30/2018 at 10:21 AM, dogtired said:

Magpul announced a 170.  I am not sure they exist in the wild though.

27 rounds. Spring 2018.  $21

ETS also.

They also said they'd be released in Spring 2017. I don't think people should be holding their breath for that mag. 

Been running Taylor Freelance +10's for decades in Open, the work fine. And they also work great for PPC with a G18 mag at 31 plus 10.

Edited by 9x45

• 1 month later...

Robin Taylor has updated his design, now 9mm specific and holds +12 instead of +10.

I've tried the ETS 140mm & 170mm mags, they work fine with shiny new brass...if your reloads are cleaned with SS pins instead of polished, the cases can be "sticky" in the all-polymer ETS tubes, and fail to feed, with a stuck spring. Cannot reliably feed any cheap steel cased ammo from the ETS for same reason, the rounds stick in the tubes.

On 4/2/2018 at 9:28 PM, Savagesweat said:

I tried the TF base pad for +11 or whatever.  The dumb thing never worked at all.

I ended up making my own from G18 mags, arredondo +5 extensions, and epoxy.  This worked, but required a lot of very careful planning and lots of money.  In the end, my attempts at big sticks turned out to be reliable, but they look ugly.  I think the future magpul option is probably the way to go.

Well, except that G18 mags are not legal for any USPSA Division...

16 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

Well, except that G18 mags are not legal for any USPSA Division...

PCC :devil: I imagine he meant they were cut down to size? 

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

PCC :devil: I imagine he meant they were cut down to size? 

Correct.

Why would anybody epoxy +5 extensions to regular G18 mags?  That makes no sense.  I cut them down such that the total length with extensions was less than 172 mm. 

Look at the big sticks from SJC, same idea.

I was upset about spending all the money on TF +11 basepads only to have them fail so miserably, so I played around with different G17 mags and found one that seems to work better.  I put a slightly stronger spring in there, modified from a cannibalized G18 mag spring, and I think it just might work now.  I'll report back after testing at the range.  I really want the extensions to work; TF seems like a cool company.

I've been running Taylors since they first went into business. Never an issue. Did you call Taylor and ask? You use the OEM springs from the G18's with the plus 10s.

• 7 months later...

I finally got out to shoot my open Glock again using the TF extensions.  I sanded the inside bottom of the mag tube and did everything I could to give these things the best chance at functioning properly.  However, on the very first stage, I had the follower hang up at the transition from OEM mag to TF extension.  It turned the mag into a salt shaker, totally killed the stage for me.  

This sucks because I really want to like Taylor Freelance.  I just can't get their extensions to work for me.  I am going back to my homemade 170mm monstrosities because while they look ugly, they have been totally reliable, which is a lot more than I can say about TF.

I need to call them up and see if they have better suggestions for making their extensions run.  The tips that came printed in the box with my order were not really helpful.  I don't mean to badmouth them on the internet, just sharing my experience.  

Don’t the new factory 24 round 9 mm magazines meet the 170 mm requirement? If so, they cost less than the extensions and eliminate the issues described in this thread. Yes, the thread began before these new magazines were available, but readers should be aware of the alternatives.