Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Highest power variable scope with true 1x low end?

Wondering what variable power scopes there are that have a true 1x magnification at the low end, but then as high as possible on the other end of the adjustability. What's currently on the market? 1-10x, 1-12x, more? Links would be most helpful. Price isn't much of a concern at the present moment, more just looking to gather information for now

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
4 hours ago, Nathanb said:

I’m highly suspect of a 1-10 ffp for 800 bucks msrp. I’m guessing the glass is t the best

Atibal glass is pretty good. Supposedly anyways. Not as good as a Razor, way better than a Strike Eagle, comparable to a Viper at a fraction of a cost.

The reviews are pretty positive, and satisfaction guarantee.

On 9/12/2018 at 7:42 PM, Nathanb said:

I’m highly suspect of a 1-10 ffp for 800 bucks msrp. I’m guessing the glass is t the best

The site says it has ED glass but who really knows what that means. I'm sure there several types and quality levels of HD and ED glass. Until someone can compare it side by side...

• 2 months later...

The Nightforce 1-8x NX8 looks like an awesome scope and light for a 1-8x at under 18oz.  But is it 2.5x more $$, for some people that's no problem but I have a hard time justifying that much on a scope. I like the idea of the 1-10x for my 224 Valkyrie so I can take it up to 1,000-1,300 yards at the long distance range. A 3-18x would probably be better for long distance accuracy but to just hit some steel plates the the 1-10x is more versatile. 

GSRC has been talking about a 1-10x with a BDC reticle for years but I don't know if that is really happening.

I just recently got a Nightforce NXS 1-8 and am very happy with it. The glass is incredible. I put it on a 20" Proof Research barreled 6.5 Grendel and we were hammering 12" please at 600 with no difficulty. As you may have heard the eye box is a little tight but I don't play the 3 gun game any more and for my purposes; range work and some hunting  it performs admirably. It was not cheap but none of the good stuff is.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:07 AM, shooter545 said:

I just recently got a Nightforce NXS 1-8 and am very happy with it. The glass is incredible. I put it on a 20" Proof Research barreled 6.5 Grendel and we were hammering 12" please at 600 with no difficulty. As you may have heard the eye box is a little tight but I don't play the 3 gun game any more and for my purposes; range work and some hunting  it performs admirably. It was not cheap but none of the good stuff is.

Glad to hear this. The NXS is on my Wishlist for a mid /long gun I’m currently building.

• 4 weeks later...