Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Welded Colt style mags ?

Tommy: Like I told you, I have done AR15 mags years ago when I had a Tig welder and there were no base pads or big sticks. I just did this Pakistan made MP5 mag a couple of months ago with my mig welder. Works great but the steel is not the best in it so the welds look a little bad before I cleaned it up.  Depending on your mags some of the TF base loads work better on some mags than others. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1099.JPG

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I bought some FMK-3 40 round mags before there were extensions available. I modded one. It locks in fine but is not at all reliable. The feed lips aren’t quite shaped the same as Metalforms. Not giving up yet, but not really a priority right now. Seems like a better deal to buy extensions than to buy those mags to modify. I do have a couple unmodded ones I could spare though. 

Edited by six-gun shooter

Never thought about Taccom.  I will get my mags cut and welded.  The FMK's  would need to have the mag catch cut or modified. My Brownells work flawless, the orange poly follwers on the ACS mags are not as reliable in mine gun.

A small piece of copper tube and some old fashion solder will work for the spring. I remember back in the old days when I had 28 round Para mags made for 38 SC.

Thanks for the input from all. Anymore ideas , keep them coming.

Edited by troupe

I had a bunch of FMK3 40-rounders but sold them all a few months ago. I have one left, and it is modified for the Colt AR15/9 system, but I have already promised it to someone else for their UZI SMG (I will let you know if that deal falls through).

UZI mags can also be modified to fit, but genuine UZI 40-rounders are like hens teeth. You could have a couple of UZI 32-rounders welded together (they are pretty inexpensive), though this is a hassle; I did this to make a 62-rounder that runs well, but there are a lot of tricks to doing this right (let me know if you need more guidance).

bRO4oXN.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

This thread made me dig out my FMK mag and look at it again. A bit of work on the feed lips to make them like Metalforms, and it’s working! More testing needed but this is very promising. I always like the DIY solution. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think as a tig welder by trade, I'll have to attempt to weld 2 mags together and see how it works.  Do people do a full penetration weld while shielding the internal of the mag with argon or just put a big booger on the outside?

10 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

I think as a tig welder by trade, I'll have to attempt to weld 2 mags together and see how it works.  Do people do a full penetration weld while shielding the internal of the mag with argon or just put a big booger on the outside?

Hello: Not much penetration needed since it makes it harder to cleanup the inside of the tube. As you know clean the weld area up very well and degrease it all. I clamp them with a straight piece of steel as well. Easy project if you have a Tig welder but can be done with a Mig welder using gas. Thanks, Eric

I am still deciding if I want to do this or not.  If I did, I would weld them like SS headers, because they are supposed to be SS.  Purge the inside and use little, if any, filler.

I'm still trying to just run with what is "stock":  Off-the-shelf ammo and stock mags.  If I go to slide lock and need to reload, I need to reload.  It is what it is.  Yes, it will cost me a couple of seconds occasionally, but I get better at reloads.

I'm gonna purge the mag when welding. I gotta fill my bottle so idk when this will happen. I figure if I fully penetrate fuse weld them together, it'll be perfect. Especially since the mags are  supposedly stainless steel.  They're prob shit grade SS tho so I'd imagine they'll have porosity.