Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol powder

jeffroberdo

On 1/29/2018 at 2:51 AM, stick said:

I've used titegroup for years.  Small case volume, consistent metering from my Dillon XL650, inexpensive and readily available.  What else do I need to say?

A little bit of a necro post but same situation, I am typically slow to fix what is working. 

The one thing I am wondering about that might make switching more imminent is leading with coated bullets. Never been a problem in any of my guns with titegroup until I bought a 929 revolver, 929 leads up and is a real pain to clean.

Anybody seen any difference with leading when switching from some faster powder to SP? 

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.8 sport pistol. Precision bullet 125 flat point coated. 1.100 oal. Win spp.

Out of two shadow 2 I averaged a very consistent 1037 to 1050fps for 20 round strings. 1,100 feet above sea level. 65 degrees F.

6 hours ago, e-mishka said:

all out. really wanna try it.

It is the newest bright and shiny thing, but I would not fret if you need to wait to find some. It is very unlikely to ever effect a match score. 

23 hours ago, e-mishka said:

is it temp sensitive?

I got this from an article I found while researching SP.

Jared Hinton, communications coordinator for Alliant Powder, describes Sport Pistol as "a low nitroglycerine, double-base flake propellant. On the burn rate chart, Sport Pistol would functionally replace/overlap with American Select. Temp sensitivity can change from application to application, but Sport Pistol is extremely stable with a slight negative slope. In our most comprehensive testing, it changed less than 15 fps, between 0 and 125 degrees Fahrenheit."

Edited by NWfront

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2018 at 6:23 PM, ARMAGEDON said:

Hey guys.     I have a Tanfoglio Stock II.     I was using Titegroup and i changed to Sport Pistol.   I make my ammo at 1.130 AOL and i use SNS 135gr round nose coated bullets.

I would love to be in a 130 power factor.     Does anyone has a recipe?     How much load do i need to use?

Thanks

A little late but here is what I got with Bayou Bullets 135 round nose to 1.130 with Sport Pistol and CCI 500.

Temp was 66.

Dan Wesson PM9 

avg 904.       SD 5.6       spread 17      PF about 122

avg 977        SD 7.7        Spread 19.     PF about 132

avg. 1014      SD 7.3       Spread 17      PF about 136

Edited by GolfGuns

• 1 month later...

Old thread but lots of good information, thanks!

I just ordered 8, 1lb bottles of  Sport Pistol from Powder Valley, it was slim pickings other places and didn’t find any 4 or 8lb jugs. 

I’m looking forward for this in 40, and 9 once I use up the CFE-P. 

I was trying to get 135pf with coated 160 grain bullets, and Titegroup, and bumped it to 134pf but I was getting tumbling. I called the bullet mfg and he suggested switching to Sport Pistol.

I hit 134 pf on my first try, with Sport Pistol, and noticed they shot a lot softer, but, when I walked down to the target (25 yards) I saw that the bullets were still tumbling. I guess that's the reason nobody at Nationals were using 160s.

I usually use VV310 for 147 grain bullets. I put together a load with Sport Pistol, went to the range and chronoed them side by side with my VV310 load. Both loads chronoed almost identical, but, I was really surprised that the Sport Pistol load was softer, and more accurate. Now, the accuracy COULD have been because I was using once-fired Winchester brass, with the Sport Pistol load, and R-P brass that was probably been fired 3 times, with the VV310 load.