Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol powder

jeffroberdo

Sport Pistol is just a "cooler" burning formulation, it will work with any bullet type.  Titegroup is "hotter" causing more "burn" to lead & coatings, causing more smoke.

Quote marks used due to my ignorance of chemistry. I build things, not chemically analyze them for a living.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/27/2018 at 1:26 AM, ddc said:

When someone claims 1" at 50 yards I'm really impressed. Of course I'm an old fart and assume we are talking with a pistol.

You'll never hear me talking about 1" @ 50yds with a pistol! I was shooting the PCC benched, bagged, and with a 14x scope.

Sport Pistol was engineered as a drop in placement for VV N320 but at half the cost. It was also engineered to NOT degrade paint coatings on cast lead bullets like ALL nitro based propellants will do!

2 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

Sport Pistol was engineered as a drop in placement for VV N320 but at half the cost. It was also engineered to NOT degrade paint coatings on cast lead bullets like ALL nitro based propellants will do!

Exactly!

4 hours ago, Out of Ammo said:

Does anyone know the burn rate of Sport Pistol or did I miss it in an earlier posting?

Look at the load data for whatever caliber you want to shoot it with.  Then look at powders that reach the similar velocities at SAAMI max standard with a similar charge weight and similar/same bulllet, and there you go.  ;) 

Hey guys.     I have a Tanfoglio Stock II.     I was using Titegroup and i changed to Sport Pistol.   I make my ammo at 1.130 AOL and i use SNS 135gr round nose coated bullets.

I would love to be in a 130 power factor.     Does anyone has a recipe?     How much load do i need to use?

Thanks

Here is the load I used when I was shooting 135 BBI's. This was a good accurate load from my P09. I switched to 147 NLG FP bullets. I like the feel of the 147's were just as accurate. 

Created: 09/04/17 11:17 AM
Description: CZ P09 3.6 Sport Pistol
Notes 1: 135 BBI Federal SSP
Notes 2: 1.120" COAL
Distance to Chrono(FT): 15.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.135
Bullet Weight(gr): 135.00
Temp: 76 °F
BP: 28.14 inHg
Altitude: 800.00
#    FPS      FT-LBS      PF
8    1002    301.01   135.27  
7    1007    304.02   135.95  
6    992      295.03   133.92  
5    1001    300.41   135.13  
4    987      292.07   133.24  
3    996      297.42   134.46  
2    1006    303.42   135.81  
1    985      290.89   132.98  
Average: 997.0 FPS
SD: 8.4 FPS
Min: 985 FPS
Max: 1007 FPS
Spread: 22 FPS
Shot/sec: 0.5
True MV: 1006 FPS
Group Size (in): 0.00

Here is a picture of my off hand group I shot at 22 yards with this load.

IMG_0490.jpg

On 7/4/2018 at 10:03 AM, igolfat8 said:

What does the Nitro do to paint ?  Is the problem degradation experienced before the big light comes on i.e during storage ....or after ? I thought it had more to do with flame temperature rather than chemical composition and degraded paint.

Put a bullet in a ziplock bag, submerged in your favorite powder. In two days look at it. If the paint is “powder coat” then you can expect to see powder flakes clinging to the paint and the paint will have lost its gloss. A few days later you can easily scrape the paint off with your fingernail. HiTec paint is not affected by nitro based powders.

Only The base of the bullet is exposed to the propellant and the paint coating. If the paint is softened by the nitro in the propellant then it’s likely the flame will burn the paint and expose bare lead. As bare lead is exposed it will atomize bare lead and deposit lead particulates insid your muzzle devices.

1 hour ago, igolfat8 said:

As bare lead is exposed it will atomize bare lead and deposit lead particulates insid your muzzle devices.

Eh... there's more lead in the lead styphnate in the primer than what atomizes on a bare, uncoated lead bullet.  This isn't a leading issue.

Just finished my first 8lb jug of sport pistol and am still very happy with it. I used it only on various plated bullets. I am now going to use it with coated bullets for another 8lbs. I think I'll e happy.

Had time to load and chrono some test ammo.

9mm - 115JHP Zero, Federal SP primer, 1.115oal, shot in a 6 inch 1911.

4.5gr - 1160 avg

4.4 - 1133 avg (1 slow shot threw the avg.. is probably closer to 1140-1145)

4.3 - 1132 avg

4.2 - 1112 avg

SD was around 9-11 for all of them. Groups at 50 yards for 4.4 and 4.5 were very close to my accuracy load with Titegroup. Once I see what kind of crimp it likes and play with OAL some, it might even out shoot my current load. I shot prone, unsupported but recoil was different compared to TG, heat was noticeably lower.

I'm going to setup the 1050 and run 1000 at 4.4 and see how it really compares to my current load.

Thanks to everyone for posting their load info.  I went to purchase an 8lb of TiteGroup and the store also had Sport Pistol.  A friend of mine was wanting to try it so I picked him up a pound and decided to grab one for myself.  I'm hoping the loads are as good as everyone says but at the same time (if its as good as everyone is saying) I'm hoping the TiteGroup purchase isn't a regret.  I loaded some 147 Bayou Bullets and 135 Swamp Poppers in SP.   Will give an update after I get a chance to shoot them.  I have some 147 Bayou Bullets with TG to compare them to.  Once again thanks.  The info here has been great for starting load data.

Initial quick thoughts.  SP smoke was maybe a little less that TG.  I didn't find the difference significant.  147 SP was a bit softer than 147 TG but not very much (both loaded at 3.2 Gr).  I felt the 135 SP (3.5 Gr.) was quite a bit softer than both.  So far, in my limited loading experience, 135 SP may be my new favorite round.  I found accuracy comparable but I favored the 135 when attempting double taps.  The pic included was freehand slow shots (a couple seconds between).  The pistol was a Sig P320 FS.

IMG_20180711_135149.jpg

Edited by Nuncles
Added firearm model.

14 hours ago, Agent #1911 said:

Compare both powders at the same velocity or power factor. Comparing same charges does not mean anything as they both could be different power factor

Agreed.  It wasn't a complete side by side comparison.  It was just what I had for point of reference.

My wife is running 3.5gr SP behind 115gr coated.  I run 3.1gr SP behind 135gr coated.  I prefer the feel of the 135gr.  "Recoil" may be less with the 115gr, but there is a bit more "snap" as felt in a 9mm 1911.  YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the advice of this thread I bought 8LB jug of SP and I've been loving it.  Made the switch when N320 became hard to get and wont be going back.  It's been very clean and very consistent for me.

If anyone is on the edge with this powder still I'd jump on it.

Finally some personal data.

Sport Pistol Powder

Tanfoglio Stock II

98 degrees on a hot day in Florida

Humidity...........a lot.    Is Florida

AOL      1.130

Competition Electronics ProChrono............................brand new out of the box.     Every shot at 10 feet away from the chrono

SNS and Gallant bullets (both coated)

135gr

powder charge 3.70  you will get a velocity of 957 fps......................129 PF

powder charge 3.72 you will get 967 Fps............................................130 PF and they feel amazing

Soon will chrono SNS coated bullets 125gr

Edited by ARMAGEDON