Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reading a primer

Bwilmot

What causes this kind of hit to primer ??   Gun is sps vista short.  9major.  I’ve been having light strikes due to a gun smith mistake.  He swears it’s primer flow and brass is getting stuck in firing pin window and that this is causing light hits.  I’m. Not sure the main spring size right now.  

D27B488E-B975-4432-A353-0BE237724917.jpeg

Edited by Bwilmot

2 minutes ago, Bwilmot said:

What causes this kind of hit to primer ??   Gun is sps vista short.  9major.  

D27B488E-B975-4432-A353-0BE237724917.jpeg

7.2 WAC under 115 concave base fmj @ 1.155

Edited by Bwilmot

7 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

Don't load 9major in xtreme brass.  The internal volume is smaller and will raise pressure.  

Thank you.   I try to cull as many as possible.  Mostly I’m looking for the cases with the internal step in the case.   I toss those in the scrap.  

I've loaded a bunch of major in x-treme brass now.  The case volume is on the lower end, and I load it all together and adjust accordingly.

The combo of parts in some guns is going to lead to some primer extrusion into the firing pin hole.  I've seen this a lot, but never found it to be the cause of any real problems.  I would look elsewhere, but do make sure the firing pin hole and channel is clear and burr free.

9 hours ago, Bwilmot said:

Thank you.   I try to cull as many as possible.  Mostly I’m looking for the cases with the internal step in the case.   I toss those in the scrap.  

I load 9gr of 3N38 under a 115jhp and the xtreme cases are so full that I get powder spillage.    They are a good casing, but, as the previous poster said, adjust accordingly.  If you're loading mixed brass in 9major and are running on the ragged edge, it could be enough to cause problems.  

I load 9gr of 3N38 under a 115jhp and the xtreme cases are so full that I get powder spillage.    They are a good casing, but, as the previous poster said, adjust accordingly.  If you're loading mixed brass in 9major and are running on the ragged edge, it could be enough to cause problems.  

I’m only running 7.2 autocomp under my 115 so not really the ragged edge. 170pf 1470-1480fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 7:59 PM, mfizzy said:

I had an issue with light strikes and primer flow with my SPS Vista. Moved to small rifle primers and issue is solved.

Primer flow3.jpg

What main spring wieght are you running in your sps vista.?  How do you like it ?  This is mine I really like it.   It runs like a champ :) 

4F8F828E-E454-4AD1-902E-9DECEAB5911D.jpeg

Yes I installed it everything fit but the main spring and also had to use a sti bushing and screws on the front grip screw.  I couldn’t use the main spring keeper pin so I installed the pin backwards and then pulled the pin when it was assembled.    I’m running a 19lb main with a commander 10lb variable recoil spring.  Also installed extended firing pin and aftec  extractor.   The gun just runs and runs ?

5 hours ago, mfizzy said:

Running factory main spring. Did you install the grip? I tried  the same one, but it wouldn't fit. I just installed it on my Edge instead. The plastic magwell sucks.

20180303_005805.jpg

What charge handle is that ? Looks like the one on my shotgun lol