Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arex Rex Alpha

Maks_H

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just purchased an arex alpha and I was not happy today I shot 7 mags through it today with blazer brass 115g ammo and I had a failure to feed on a spent casing on every magazine could you maybe give me some advice on what's going on is it the gun having a manufacture malfunction or is it the cheap quality of beazer brass and low end 115g ammo? Love the way it shoots but cannot have it jamming on me

On 1/28/2018 at 12:16 PM, Maks_H said:

Hi! New competition gun is hitting the market... It's called Rex Alpha, it was introduced at Shot Show 2018 and will be available shortly in USA. For 1099 USD will be a serious alternative to CZ/Tanfoglio competition guns... I am shooting and testing it past year and all I can say is that is reliable and softest shooting steel gun on the market. Get hands on one and try it, you will be surprised as were other shooters when they tried it.

Rex Alpha.jpg

Rex Alpha specs.png

I just purchased an arex alpha and I was not happy today I shot 7 mags through it today with blazer brass 115g ammo and I had a failure to feed on a spent casing on every magazine could you maybe give me some advice on what's going on is it the gun having a manufacture malfunction or is it the cheap quality of beazer brass and low end 115g ammo? Love the way it shoots but cannot have it jamming on me

Edited by Soup57

It could be something going on with the ammo. I’ve only had one issue, and it was a failure to feed but it was a round that didn’t go through the crimp die on my reloader. I would say try a box of brass case rounds and see if that changes anything and then go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. And how about an extended firing pin and spring or modified trigger or flat/flush safeties? I know the Alpha is new but I don't think it's really taking off. I'm moving on, I'm selling mine.

If you are looking to fully disassembly your Alpha, here is a video to get you about 85% of the way there. It appears to be very similar to the Sig P226 X5 competition internally except it is a DA/SA instead of SAO.

Time to get mine back together.

649417c102c993f19395bb770661b50a.jpg

Your pictures also works good as an exploded view. Why the full tear down? Did you mod something?

I took it apart to do some polishing work to see if I could smooth out the DA stacking any.

It’s pretty simple to break down and put back together. Couple tips I can give real quick if you are considering it.

The only tricky thing was getting the sear spring and sear back into place. A Q-tip slave pin worked pretty well. 40ee74731ec82f7c39b9e11c004d17f2.jpg

Also, when putting the safeties back on, do the left one first and press the detent down from the top frame hole and then do the right side.

Results ?

Don’t have any hard data. It is smoother. I dropped the grey spring in and polished the trigger bar, hammer, hammer strut and anything I thought had contact. I was surprised to sear wear marks on some of the internals where they had contacted other parts. It didn’t eliminate the stacking entirely, but it’s a lot less noticeable. I’d have hesitation shooting it DA at 15-20yards. From what I can see, the springs are the same as a 226, I’m tempted to order the $20 Grey guns spring kit to try out.

Yeah I've moved on. My Alfa is for sale on consignment at my local shop. The Alfa just didn't take off like it was supposed to in the competition aftermarket field.

...and my Shadow 2 does everything just a little better.

Yeah I've moved on. My Alfa is for sale on consignment at my local shop. The Alfa just didn't take off like it was supposed to in the competition aftermarket field.

...and my Shadow 2 does everything just a little better.

Still have my Alpha, but I haven’t let go of the Tanfo’s yet :). I like the way it shoots and looks, but I’m definitely not as comfortable with it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Experiment time. Ordered a Grey Guns master spring kit for the 226 series. Going to see how compatible everything in here is with the Rex Alpha. Before I broke it down I swapped in the 17# hammer spring and it felt like butter in double action. Lighter and zero stacking compared to the springs that came with the gun. Seemed to have a solid amount of force, but I won’t be able to function check until tomorrow. More to come.

38757404a2d385a740fce668292aecc3.jpg3c856e47b0e030b431ad2b5170ca5be9.jpg

It should work just fine. With extended firing pin it works with 15 or even 14lbs hammer springs. Couldn't get 13lbs to test yet, to see if it works with soft primers. 

But for such light springs also the hammer must be from Zero1, it is a little havier compared to Alpha hammer. 

Also I would love to see if Grey guns would get hands on the Alpha and worked their magic on it. 

It should work just fine. With extended firing pin it works with 15 or even 14lbs hammer springs. Couldn't get 13lbs to test yet, to see if it works with soft primers. 
But for such light springs also the hammer must be from Zero1, it is a little havier compared to Alpha hammer. 
Also I would love to see if Grey guns would get hands on the Alpha and worked their magic on it. 

FYI,
I swapped the 17lb hammer spring and sear spring. The FP springs aren’t the same as a note. I loaded a primer only empty case with Federal/CCI/S&B and it set all three off no problem in double action. Good hits with a 17. I’d like to try out a 15lb if I can find one. Any ideas on where the best place to get one would be?