Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Horror stories of guns cracking

Avenida

Sorry but I need to ask.

What is the round count in your Chrome Tanfoglios.

I have been told recently that the chromed tanfos  tend to crack, is this an old wives tale from a decade ago?

I do know that the 40 cal standard pistol in chrome where cracking due to be being lighten but tanfoglio got rid of this design for that reason and now the slides no longer have a cut out in the recoil spring cover.

What kind of life expectancy can I expect out of my Chrome Stock II 9mm pistols?

Wondering what have you guys think. 

Edited by Avenida

Issue resolved years ago. No longer a problem. New Tanfo large frames are made to withstand continuous 10mm firing. The Stock 2s are all built on the same frame for all common pistol calibers from 9mm, 38 super, 40s&w, 45acp, 10mm.

To my knowledge I haven't heard of any cracking in recent years.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, drewsifer said:

Issue resolved years ago. No longer a problem. New Tanfo large frames are made to withstand continuous 10mm firing. The Stock 2s are all built on the same frame for all common pistol calibers from 9mm, 38 super, 40s&w, 45acp, 10mm.

To my knowledge I haven't heard of any cracking in recent years.

What is the deal with the small frame ones? the slide seems to be different only.

What is the deal with the small frame ones? the slide seems to be different only.

Small frames, as I understand it are designed to only shoot 9mm, 40s&w, and 45acp... I think. I read it somewhere. But not 38 super or 10mm.

25 minutes ago, drewsifer said:

Small frames, as I understand it are designed to only shoot 9mm, 40s&w, and 45acp... I think. I read it somewhere. But not 38 super or 10mm.

38 or 45 magazines won't fit in small frames. 

No large frame magazines will fit a small frame gun. Whether 22LR to 10mm. 

The longer cartridges will not fit a small frame gun or magazine. Ejection port is shorter. 

Some of the guns come sprung very light. My 10mm Limited Pro felt like it was hitting very hard with full power loads. Installed a 20lb recoil spring and it feels perfect. 

I think it would have displayed signs of frame battering over time with the Stock recoil spring. It must be made with minor loads in mind.

Primary differences are trigger bar, firing pin, and barrel. Haven't tried to throw a large frame slide on to see if that works.

Don't know exactly the round counts on my small frames, but I'm probably between 30-40k on each atm.

My match  40sw has 12,000 major. My two s2 have 30k ish. No issue.

Ben Stoeger, shoots a bit... never heard anything about him having an issue. I assume he would say something and word would get around. 

I probably will not keep mine that long, I tend to rotate them every 20k.

however I might keep these longer, because I like them a lot.

Good to hear they can get to 50k+ with no issues!

friend of mine have one old small f. from  early 90s .slide cracked after 40k 

the other one have gold team from 1993 and he use it  for ipsc practice and competitions.from 1993-2014 .changed ~7-8 barrels . gun still in working condition.

local dealer rent  on his shooting range old  lim pros from1995   few of them passed 150k.

compare to glocks  it's nothing.;) we have army  abused   glocks with 200-300k before slide breaks.

9 hours ago, yigal said:

friend of mine have one old small f. from  early 90s .slide cracked after 40k 

the other one have gold team from 1993 and he use it  for ipsc practice and competitions.from 1993-2014 .changed ~7-8 barrels . gun still in working condition.

local dealer rent  on his shooting range old  lim pros from1995   few of them passed 150k.

compare to glocks  it's nothing.;) we have army  abused   glocks with 200-300k before slide breaks.

I believe the older small frames are a little bit smaller in dimension on a couple of parts, particularly the trigger guard.