Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet setback

GrayR

Alright guys relatively new reloaded here. I’m loading 45 acp for use in single stack uspsa and steel challenge. It’s a Berry’s 230 grain plated bullet which I’m done with no

matter what my responses are.  I chamber check all my rounds and a lot of em are coming out dangerously low in the case. The coal I’ve been using is 1.25 I believe from Hodgdon. I shot some of these today and they cycled fine and weren’t over pressure but is it possible that they’re too short and the ogive of the bullet is below the case mouth causing it to not get enough bite on the bullet? Any help is appreciated 

Sizing would be the first thing I would look into.  I doubt that is the issue unless your sizing die is badly out of spec.  I would concentrate on the expander and the taper crimp die.  Too much expansion or over belling may not be fully corrected in the seating die, and allow the bullet to slip down into the case before being crimped.  I use a separate seating die and crimping die for just that reason.  If you have a four station press you are limited to a seater/crimper.  Back off on the crimp so you are not adding any.  Then see if the seater is seating to a consistent dimension.  Remove a round and try to pull the bullet out with your fingers.  You should be unable to, or at worst, pull it out with difficulty.

If that proves okay, then check you crimp setting and also the inside of the die.  If you had been loading lubed lead bullets, some of the lube gets stuck in the seating/crimping die and can intermittently affect depth.

The out of spec die idea also rings a bell. It’s my backup set of acp dies that we’re given to me by my uncle and they’re aluminum? I haven’t ever read about that but they’re definitely lighter than steel nd not magnetic either. Anyone have any idea about that?

13 hours ago, tires2burn said:

I load all my 230gr RN at 1.250 and have zero setback. After you deprime & resize your case it should have enough neck tension to hold the bullet. I also use a Lee FCD to straighten the case out & put a very light crimp on it.

Exactly what I do!  

13 hours ago, GrayR said:

Who knows maybe I didn’t size this batch enough. Preciate the response sir!

give some specifics on your press (type, dies etc)

I use an Rcbs turret press to decap/size

and bell my brass then it goes into a bucket. When the whole batch is ready I hand prime it with an rcbs universal hand primer. Then I use a charge master 1500 to throw my  charge and I seat  the bullet in my rcbs rock chucker single stage. The dies are old rcbs dies I don’t have a box for but I’m pretty sure they’re aluminum cause they’re very light and they aren’t magnetic. My carbide dies went missing somewhere along the line with a bunch of moves and this is the only batch I’ve loaded with em. I got through a match today with probly a minute worth of malfunctions so I won’t be using the dies any more to say the least 

11 minutes ago, tires2burn said:

I have been using Lee carbide dies for 7 years & 1000's of rounds and they are priced reasonably. You might want to invest in a Case Gauge. It will give you a lot of info.

I agree with tires2burn.  I run Lee Carbide dies in my XL650.  I think your issue is with the dies.

Case Gauge all of your match ammo.

Yeah I typically use carbides for everything pistol and they’ve worked great I just assumed that something made by rcbs would at least work but back to carbide it is. And yes I really do need a case gauge for match ammo. Thanks for all the help guys!

Yeah I’ve got a case gauge ready to

order when I fill up my cart. As to formula for

detsrmining crimp I really appreciate that and all the other information as well. When I replace dies and get back loading I’ll definitly use that method for set up. Thanks very much everyone!