Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA is a GAME!

jhgtyre

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

Force on force with simunitions or (on the cheap) airsoft pistols

UTM and SIM rounds..

3v3 or 5v5... now THAT would be a fun new sport, and it would still be just a game, albeit with the greatest level of tacticoolness.

UTM rounds definitely make you NOT want to get hit lol.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I’ve heard this often about all shooting sports...

while on active duty in the Army in infantry..

and while as a DOD contractor...

my reply is always always the same. Even poor training is still training. Good training is on the job experience, so unless your club deploys to Iraq or Afghanistan.. your getting the best possible...

finger on trigger, rounds to target...

with that said trigger time going through 500 rounds on a weekend of matches versus attending some guys class who’s only real world experience is hiding in ditches it’s far smarter to fire rounds than play at soldiering.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, chauncey said:

I play the IDPA game because it is better training and practice than Not playing the IDPA game

+1! I shoot IDPA nowdays because when using my EDC gun & carry gear it is better practice than standing on a square range and leisurely sending rounds down range --- draw from concealment, multiple targets, movement, reload with carry gear, gun handling under a level of stress that doesn't exist in a gun range rental stall.

In younger years, when Bill Wilson ran things, I did shoot it as a "game" (Master in SSP & Bug, EX in ALL others). Travelled to six or seven states... got a pile of trophies, including one from the first World Championship. My EDC gear is not competitive. But, I don't care. Every round I fire from my carry gun in a match will be a positive if I ever have to use it "For Real". That's enough for me to shoot a few club matches a year.

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I like IDPA, even after 9 years shooting USPSA Limited.  It just fits my life, schedule and budget better than anything else right now........

I know what you mean. I like both sports, but IDPA definitely fits my current skill set better. At my age, I'm a good bit more accurate than I am fast. Some USPSA matches seem almost like a track meet. IDPA stages have fewer shots and less movement possible. It's a better "old guy" game. :)

• 2 months later...

This isn NOT directed at any specific individual comments that have been posted.  It's just my opinion.  

If one is a competitive shooter and pays his own entry fee and follows all the safety and behavior rules all the time, it's absolutely nobody else's business.  

If someone believes that their chosen shooting sport is "real world" and you disagree, so what? 

Are you their appointed savior assigned to show them the "truth".  Are you even qualified to do so, or do you simply have preferences and/or beliefs different than other shooters?

If you are an IDPA shooter and don't like USPSA, then don't shoot USPSA . . . . . shoot IDPA

If you are a USPSA shooter and don't like IDPA, then don't shoot IDPA . . . . . shoot USPSA

This doesn't seem that complicated.

These discussions remind me of the old "Revolver vs. Auto" and "9mm vs. 45" discussions

If it's shooting, it's all GOOD, folks!

On 1/26/2018 at 9:34 AM, jhgtyre said:

IDPA is a game!

There, I'm pinning this at the top so people can quit saying it in pretty much every thread.

Now go shoot.

I just want to repost my original post from this thread to reinforce the idea that this post is where you make cracks like "IDPA is a game". 

The intent is to say that stuff here and keep it off the rest of the threads in this forum.  If you agree/disagree that is totally fine, this thread exists for just that reason.  So keep it up, game/training/whatever, this is the thread to talk about it.