Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
jhgtyre

IDPA is a GAME!

Recommended Posts

Around 30 or so years ago someone said that if it required using a timer then it was a game.  Get some trigger time, have fun, doesn’t matter which “game” or “sport”.  I learned that the time I spend with friends at the match is what’s important to me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does Cranium, Boggle, USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, Taboo and Perfection have in common?

 

THEY ARE ALL GAMES THAT USE TIMERS!  SOME I CHOOSE TO PLAY AND OTHERS I DON'T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, if it's timed and scored, with lots and lots of rules, it's just a game, and only a game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2018 at 12:37 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

 

That attitude will get you killed in the streets.

 

(Real lame but first time I ever got to use that phrase.) :lol:

IDPA, is what will get you killed. Stoping to pick up a dropped mag while you are in a shoot out will get you an extra hole in your head. It is all a game, unless you are shooting at some one shooting at you... Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There isn't any sane way to simulate an actual gunfight.

 

And, most gunfights consist of three shots in three seconds.

 

And, take place in the dark.  Many at contact range.  And, the

bad guy gets to take the first shot    :ph34r:

 

That would be a boring game.  BUT a Very Exciting actual gunfight.

 

Shooting games try their best to add stress (but can't even

begin to compete with the amount of stress in an actual

gunfight).   But, they are ALL games, that can be of some

assistance in learning how to use a firearm to protect yourself    :) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't shoot my EDC in IDPA 'cause it is plain not competitive in SSP Master. Shot my Shield in BUG and finished 5th OA out of 71 shooters. I use a Red Hill Tactical OWB holster and competition mag pouches. Not that the gun isn't shootable, but in a 90 rd local match you do 6 more reloads in BUG than in SSP/ESP. In a sport where I've won (and lost) the overall by less than a full second that difference is insurmountable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IDPA is a Game.  A Member at my club says he won't shoot USPSA because it is not Real World and IDPA is more real world..  I say its all good trigger time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Salsantini said:

IDPA is a Game.  A Member at my club says he won't shoot USPSA because it is not Real World and IDPA is more real world..  I say its all good trigger time.

IDPA is not real world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good, you guys get all that out in this thread so we don't have to read it in others! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2018 at 8:11 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

There isn't any sane way to simulate an actual gunfight.

 

And, most gunfights consist of three shots in three seconds.

 

And, take place in the dark.  Many at contact range.  And, the

bad guy gets to take the first shot    :ph34r:

 

That would be a boring game.  BUT a Very Exciting actual gunfight.

 

Shooting games try their best to add stress (but can't even

begin to compete with the amount of stress in an actual

gunfight).   But, they are ALL games, that can be of some

assistance in learning how to use a firearm to protect yourself    :) 

 

 

Agreed, but it would seem to me for most of us civilians the stress of a violent encounter is after the fact (IMHO being scared s@#$less doesn't necessarily count as stress while it's happening), the stress of a competition is before/during (you have time to think/dwell on your actions).   Living is exciting, competing is exciting but a gun fight is not something I find exciting.  I'm a big sissy I just don't want to get hurt???? But I understand what you are saying.

Question though, if guns are involved but not fired is it a ?gunfight?

Edited by pskys2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

 the stress of a violent encounter is after the fact  

 

But, there are side effects of the violent encounter during the violence that are well documented.

 

Tunnel Vision (I didn't see the 2nd bad guy) ,  time slowing down (I shot him dead center and he

didn't fall down ???   WTF  ????)   , and many people freeze (not fight or flight, but the

third F word -  FREEZE). 

 

Auditory exclusion (hey, my gun didn't go off ???? WTF ???).

 

You may not feel in those three seconds that you were "stressed", but you were.

 

No way to create that kind of stress in a game (apart from the games played

at the Coliseum and at the Spanish Inquisition).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the football games at the Coliseum really all that stressful ???

 

image.jpeg.7adf0f8ed999df718a7e691654e46193.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve, I was talking about the Coliseum that we used to play in when we were kids.    ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

No way to create that kind of stress in a game (apart from the games played

at the Coliseum and at the Spanish Inquisition).

 

2 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Are the football games at the Coliseum really all that stressful ???

tenor.gif?itemid=3477451

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's the Coliseum that I was talking about.     Thanks, jhgtyre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a game where the rules have gotten worse over the years with 1 second for every point down and now "oblong holes"  not being counted. I'm about done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, telligentgunner said:

It's a game where the rules have gotten worse over the years with 1 second for every point down and now "oblong holes"  not being counted. I'm about done.

Very close to the same rule as USPSA, 9.5.5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2018 at 6:12 AM, JackinSD said:

Very close to the same rule as USPSA, 9.5.5.

 

IDPA 4.6.1 omits the last half of USPSA 9.5.5, the "...unless there is visible evidence..." part which makes rather a huge difference.

 

The IDPA rule is significantly different from the USPSA version.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×