Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which magwell adapter?

So I shot a PCC at last weekends match. You know what that means. I already have a couple of stamped lowers, so I'll build an SBR upper and use an adapter. Even though it costs the most the Hahn looks like the best one out there. What has your experience been with some of the others? Ghost, Macon Armory, KAK? 

I've been running the TorkMag G Block adaptor and it's ran great for me.  I've been using it in an old SAA lower that wouldn't drop free any mags, so it was just sitting around.  I did it as a way to test the waters of the PCC world and see if I liked it.  Now I'm hooked and will probably be getting a dedicated lower soon, but I had no issues at all with the TorkMag setup.

I have the bottom load block from Macon Armory that is held in place with the button head cap screw and has the mag well tension screws... it was built with a 10" and 7" upper as a proof of concept before the election, and I haven't used it much, (only a couple of matches) as I returned the MK18 to a 5.56....I compete with a NFA billet lower... the adapter worked well for the time I used it... I believe the Macon Armory design is the same as offered by KAK at a substantial difference in price...

2 minutes ago, Les Snyder said:

I have the bottom load block from Macon Armory that is held in place with the button head cap screw and has the mag well tension screws... it was built with a 10" and 7" upper as a proof of concept before the election, and I haven't used it much, (only a couple of matches) as I returned the MK18 to a 5.56....I compete with a NFA billet lower... the adapter worked well for the time I used it... I believe the Macon Armory design is the same as offered by KAK at a substantial difference in price...

It looks a lot like the Ghost adapter too. I wonder if the Macon, KAK & Ghost are made in the same place?

32 minutes ago, Les Snyder said:

Optimator... on another forum, Rudy Koester (Macon Armory) stated that he did not prohibit the production shop that makes his adapters from selling them to other vendors   ...

They really are the same design. That Stern is the way I'm leaning right now. I already have four 23 round mags and mag carriers. And another 6 or 8 17 rounders. 

11 hours ago, optimator said:

Has anyone tried the Stern Defense adapter? I just saw they make one for M&P mags. I'm pretty heavily invested in them already. 

Benny Hill was running one that uses Glock mags.. ran 100%. He just didn't care for the mag release . Have also tried the tork mag kit and had good success with that 

9 hours ago, optimator said:

They really are the same design. That Stern is the way I'm leaning right now. I already have four 23 round mags and mag carriers. And another 6 or 8 17 rounders. 

Does the Stern take Glock Mags?

FWIW... if you go from a carbine that does not use a last round bolt hold open, to one of the Colt style mag adapters... adjust the bolt over travel to minimum distance to help prevent LRBHO from breaking the hold open lever... I broke one after just a couple of matches... not a problem with a longer stick, but you may run into problems with shorter mags

Edited by Les Snyder
16 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

If you are looking for an adapter for Colt style mags, I would recommend the Promag one.  Their magazines are sh*t, however I have this adapter and it has worked flawlessly. LRBO functions too.  $50 well spent.

I would go with a top loader if I was building a 16" gun. But this will be on a stamped lower so I don't want to be taking punches to it when I want to shoot 5.56 out of it. 

On 1/25/2018 at 6:43 PM, optimator said:

I would go with a top loader if I was building a 16" gun. But this will be on a stamped lower so I don't want to be taking punches to it when I want to shoot 5.56 out of it. 

The new design (I believe it is version 2 or 'B') is a two piece unit that installs from the bottom top.  No need to remove any parts from the lower (first gen required removal of the bolt catch pin) and it comes out by depressing a spring loaded button. 

Edited by muncie21
Incorrectly stated that the adapter installs from the top.
36 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

The new design (I believe it is version 2 or 'B') is a two piece unit that installs from the top.  No need to remove any parts from the lower (first gen required removal of the bolt catch pin) and it comes out by depressing a spring loaded button. 

I'll check them out, thanks! The only things I've pretty much decided on are, I'm going with Colt mags and a 8" barrel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2018 at 9:43 PM, muncie21 said:

The new design (I believe it is version 2 or 'B') is a two piece unit that installs from the bottom top.  No need to remove any parts from the lower (first gen required removal of the bolt catch pin) and it comes out by depressing a spring loaded button. 

https://www.opticsplanet.com/pro-mag-ar-15-m16-9mm-magazine-adapter-block-for-ar-15-m16-quick-change.html

Is this the one you talking about?

Been using the Hahn bottom loader for all three of my PCCs....never a problem with any of them.  Two years running them hard....and there's nothing to remove from the receiver in order to put them in or take them out.  Just one screw to tighten up.

I've used the Spike's Tactical bottom loader, and the Hahn top loader.  I believe top loaders are a safer and a less troublesome design.

With any of the bottom loaders, the mag block is held is place by the mag catch, and the 1 or 2 containment pins.

When those pins get a bit loose, the only thing holding the mag block in place is the mag catch.  With loose pins the mag block can also move around and cause mag related feed problems.

This scenario happened to me years ago with a bottom loader with a tons of rounds through it so the containment pins loosened a bit:

1. Unload & show clear
  2. Press the mag catch to drop the mag, and the mag block also falls out (oh crap I might need that later)
  3. Now you have no ejector cuz the mag block is gone and the ejector is part of the mag block
  4. You rack the bolt as you've done a thousand times (remember no ejector now)
  5. Unlike all of the 223 you've shot lately, there's now a 9mm round still in the bolt cuz you had no ejector
  6. You drop the hammer and congrats ... you've just been DQ'd.

If you buy a bottom loader, just remember to check the pin/screw tightness regularly. 

Quick change mag block concept doesn't matter, it's not like we're switching between 223 and 9mm within the same match.

Unless you already have several 40 round mags for another type, stick with a Glock mag adapter or lower.  I doubt that you are going to find cheaper or more reliable mags that are readily available with lots of aftermarket support.  I use a 41 rd mag for almost every stage I run, except for classifiers that have a mandatory reload.  Don't like cleaning the big mags, so I prefer not to drop them.

If you live in a state that limits your mag capacity, feel free to ignore everything that I typed.  

1 hour ago, L9X25 said:

Unless you already have several 40 round mags for another type, stick with a Glock mag adapter or lower.  I doubt that you are going to find cheaper or more reliable mags that are readily available with lots of aftermarket support.  I use a 41 rd mag for almost every stage I run, except for classifiers that have a mandatory reload.  Don't like cleaning the big mags, so I prefer not to drop them.

If you live in a state that limits your mag capacity, feel free to ignore everything that I typed.  

Will do

• 3 months later...

I ran a Colt mag hahn block for years a bottom loader in fact when I finally got a dedicated lower I had to back the screw out then drive the block out with a punch and Hammer it had carboned itself into the lower so I wouldn't worry too much about it falling out. I didn't like the sharp corners on the sides of the adapter which could have used some blending for faster reloads.