Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution rifle prep/loading 1 pass

Smeeg

Have been running a 1050 for a little over a year now.  Great machine, but if the Evolution was an option back then, I would have bought it instead of the 1050.  So many more features and improvements over the 1050 and an upgrade path for automating the system.  I think Dillon has rested on the 1050 reputation for years as the only real player in the market and has failed to innovate or refine their presses.  This press is going to cut into thier 1050 market big time IMO.

I was just thinking that...I added a mark 7 to my 1050 shortly after it was available, and I love it.

Dillon has a great product and great support...but...Mark 7 is a threat because they are more innovative (and risk, admittedly) and 'modern'.  Now they are not enhancing Dillon but supplanting them.

It'll be fun to watch...

C

Healthy competition is much needed. Hornady, RCBS and the others have never stepped up with progressive presses and Dillon just waited and provided same presses with no real competition. Maybe they finally have to go back to drawing board. Certainly Mark7 Evolution is a Dillon copy with few more dies and modern machining instead of casting. Oh hell even case feeder looks the same as Dillon :) 

Maybe in 2019 Dillon comes out with more interesting products than a new and improved plastic primer indicator(which you have to modify with case of 45 to actually work).

It boggles the mind people still shoot vids in portrait mode - usually these are cell cam videos but still all modern cell phones support horizontal wide/HD video... and this was created by Mark7 it appears, not some random SHOT show flunkie which makes it worse...  In today's age of HD Wide content portrait mode is akin to the Lee Breech Lock loader lol...

OK video rant off...  Agree with above, even though costlier than then 1050, the inclusion of the MBF makes up most of the price difference.  So a upgraded (stronger?) 1050 design with more stations and millled/CNC build vs cast for essentially the same money as a 1050 - seems like a no-brainer, assuming M7 is in it for the long haul.  Again same as Chris777 if buying today I would look hard at the M7's.  The one pass rifle setup is especially appealing :).  Dillon has been around a long time, they have that going plus a long history of outstanding customer service, etc - but M7 appears to be making a push here for the high end market.

Not really in most reloader's wheelhouse (nor is the 1050), but for the commercial boutique loaders and... dedicated... I guess I would say individuals :), it should do well.

Edited by 78Staff

I want to wait to see how the press and customer service holds up. I purchased a Mark 7 for my 1050 and the console and one Sensor had to be returned because they didn’t work/operate efficiently.

They had me take them off the press and return the defective parts to them so they could take a look at them. Since I had just purchased the autodrive (1 week old), I would think they would just send me new parts and have me mail the old parts back to them. Now, I am waiting a week for it to arrive to them and then time for them to repair/replace and ship back. Also, I had to contact them 4 times (email, support form and phone calls) before they got back to me.

Once the new presses are in the hands of consumers for a while, I will take a look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to wait to see how the press and customer service holds up.

^^^^this... Dillon, Hornady and RCBS have all built loyal followings through outstanding customer support (and superior products in most cases). Mark VII appears more focused on the technology and modernizing the end product rather than continuing that tradition.

On 1/25/2018 at 7:54 PM, 78Staff said:

...Agree with above, even though costlier than then 1050, the inclusion of the MBF makes up most of the price difference.  So a upgraded (stronger?) 1050 design with more stations and millled/CNC build vs cast for essentially the same money as a 1050 - seems like a no-brainer, assuming M7 is in it for the long haul.  ...

One thing that makes me leery about Revolution/Evolution is that they have really restricted information on their machines other than some short controlled videos used for marketing. No user manuals online or any detailed info other than marketing fluff on their site.

It is too much money to spend to take on faith alone. 

20 minutes ago, tanks said:

One thing that makes me leery about Revolution/Evolution is that they have really restricted information on their machines other than some short controlled videos used for marketing. No user manuals online or any detailed info other than marketing fluff on their site.

It is too much money to spend to take on faith alone. 

Everything you seek has been in the users are of the website for quite sometime.  There were patent issues at stake.  I would expect more of it will be opening up to the public shortly.  
Additionally this is no where close to a remake/upgrade of a 1050.  The only thing that is similar is that it is a rotary machine.  Every shortcoming of the 1050 was addressed on the Evolution.  

38 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Everything you seek has been in the users are of the website for quite sometime.  There were patent issues at stake.  I would expect more of it will be opening up to the public shortly.  
Additionally this is no where close to a remake/upgrade of a 1050.  The only thing that is similar is that it is a rotary machine.  Every shortcoming of the 1050 was addressed on the Evolution.  

Actually, the users manual have not been in the user area, only the regular auto drives have the manuals there. I was not saying it is a remake/upgrade of the 1050. I have no problems spending money on a good product. That being said, not going to drop $$$ on possibly the next DeLorean either without more information. 

52 minutes ago, tanks said:

Actually, the users manual have not been in the user area, only the regular auto drives have the manuals there. I was not saying it is a remake/upgrade of the 1050. I have no problems spending money on a good product. That being said, not going to drop $$$ on possibly the next DeLorean either without more information. 

Sorry I misunderstood.  The manual for the Evolution will be coming to the website shortly.  I can assure you that the commitment of Mark 7 is second to none.  If you are close to Ft. Myers give them a call.  They would love to have you drop buy and play with all the toys.  

• 8 months later...
On 1/26/2018 at 8:35 AM, camaross400 said:

I want to wait to see how the press and customer service holds up. I purchased a Mark 7 for my 1050 and the console and one Sensor had to be returned because they didn’t work/operate efficiently.

They had me take them off the press and return the defective parts to them so they could take a look at them. Since I had just purchased the autodrive (1 week old), I would think they would just send me new parts and have me mail the old parts back to them. Now, I am waiting a week for it to arrive to them and then time for them to repair/replace and ship back. Also, I had to contact them 4 times (email, support form and phone calls) before they got back to me.

Once the new presses are in the hands of consumers for a while, I will take a look at them.

When I got the drive for my 1050 their CS was amazing.  To summarize my current status with the Evo... 8 months to arrive after being promised different month dates 3 different times.  Machine shipped last week.  When I called to pay, they told me " they didnt charge me enough in shipping" and would need to charge more haha.  I wanted to be done with the transaction finally so whatever.  I did the pre-order, which they have changed things package and cost wise since.  I ordered the conversion from 1050-Evo, the press, spare toolhead, and conversion kit to convert EVERYTHING to .223.  I opened the box and they "forgot" to send me the conversion kit.  Then I call and they say I now owe them more money for parts that werent included or something of that nature.  If that were the case, dont you think at one point in time in 8 months that someone would say "he doesnt have everything he needs on this order" and call to let them know?  It's not like I could be shopping for aftermarket parts for the press similar to what people do for the 1050.  It's a bad road to start down with them being a newer company.  I can understand small/start-up, not much cash flow, but if this happens to more people besides me, I cant see them being around to long sadly.  Their engineering is amazing and they took on a big project, thats for sure.  But sometimes eating a portion of a profit to take care of people and keep them spreading the word of the CS and product pays for itself in dividends.  Look at the CS structures of companies like Wilson Combat, Vortex Optics, and, of course, Dillon.  I worked for WC.  The first thing I was taught from a sales aspect was: under promise, over deliver.  Take care of them after the sale.  I had people say their grip screw was loose and opposed to telling them to tighten it, we'd send them a label, get it back, tighten it, and ship it back to them

• 2 years later...
On 10/12/2018 at 9:14 PM, PSSOH22 said:

When I got the drive for my 1050 their CS was amazing.  To summarize my current status with the Evo... 8 months to arrive after being promised different month dates 3 different times.  Machine shipped last week.  When I called to pay, they told me " they didnt charge me enough in shipping" and would need to charge more haha.  I wanted to be done with the transaction finally so whatever.  I did the pre-order, which they have changed things package and cost wise since.  I ordered the conversion from 1050-Evo, the press, spare toolhead, and conversion kit to convert EVERYTHING to .223.  I opened the box and they "forgot" to send me the conversion kit.  Then I call and they say I now owe them more money for parts that werent included or something of that nature.  If that were the case, dont you think at one point in time in 8 months that someone would say "he doesnt have everything he needs on this order" and call to let them know?  It's not like I could be shopping for aftermarket parts for the press similar to what people do for the 1050.  It's a bad road to start down with them being a newer company.  I can understand small/start-up, not much cash flow, but if this happens to more people besides me, I cant see them being around to long sadly.  Their engineering is amazing and they took on a big project, thats for sure.  But sometimes eating a portion of a profit to take care of people and keep them spreading the word of the CS and product pays for itself in dividends.  Look at the CS structures of companies like Wilson Combat, Vortex Optics, and, of course, Dillon.  I worked for WC.  The first thing I was taught from a sales aspect was: under promise, over deliver.  Take care of them after the sale.  I had people say their grip screw was loose and opposed to telling them to tighten it, we'd send them a label, get it back, tighten it, and ship it back to them

I'm currently experiencing similar customer service as you. Having issues with the quality of the hardware on their mechanical powder measure.