Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA/SA cocked and locked?

I was reading some rules for 3-gun specifically when regarding pistols that have da/sa actions.

I understand with 1911s it is cocked and locked but they are single action only.

I specifically was concerned with the new CZ Shadow 2 being ABLE to be in single action, cocked and locked like a 1911 style pistol. 

Can someone START the stage in single action with the hammer back and the safety engaged with a da/sa pistol?   I know not all da/sa have an active safety, but I am only concerned with the ones that DO.

I know in some competitions the rules are that a da/sa must be "decocked" in hammer down mode, doesnt matter the make/model, but does this apply to 3-gun?   The CZs with the manual safety, one would have the manually decock the pistol to be in USPSA Production or IDPA Production division.  I am familiar that some have specific decockers like the HK USPs, the Sigs, and some CZs have decockers.

Im just kind of fond of the idea of having the double action if I needed it, whether it be in competition or as my home defense gun.

LET ME KNOW!

Chinny33

First - It would help if you specified what set of rules you want quoted ... They can and sometimes DO differ!

As to USPSA MG rules, there is NO Production Division ... That's for handgun rules.  The appropriate starting condition for what you describe can be found at USPSA MG Rule 8.1.2.3 ...

“Selective action” – chamber loaded with hammer fully down, or chamber loaded and hammer cocked with external safety fully engaged.

You'll need to check the other rule books for their various requirements.