Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a 5 port hybrid barrel too much for 38sc?

abigger04

I’ve located a used open gun that interests me, but it has a 5 port hybrid barrel with a comp.

After researching forums I haven’t seen that type of barrel duplicated on any builds that I’ve found. Is 5 ports too much for 38 sc? Any idea what type of load that would require to run? 

5 port hybrids used to be the norm for open guns so it was probably built more than a few years ago.  I have a Wayne Berquist Caspian (38 Super) and an SV (9x23) both built in the 90's that have a 5 port  hybrid barrel and comp.  They ran fine and typically used a slower burning powder for as much propellant gas as possible.  I had the SV converted over to 9mm major with a new un-ported Schuman barrel and a new comp. Nothing wrong with the 5 port hybrid and comp as long as you find the right load for it. 

I ran a 4 port for years, and would still run one except I couldn’t find one when I rebarrelled my open gun

if you can find pictures of the old SVI IMM open gun, I think they ran a  combination 5 port hybrid and tribred ports with a comp 

And because the barrel vents gas sooner than a unported barrel, it was harder the make major