Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig has a new pistol red dot

Rudukai13

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Sig language that translates to you may see one Q4 2023

I sure hope not. Until someone comes out with a good green dot sight(that doesn’t wash out, trijicon )for pistols I won’t be getting one. Vortex said they don’t even plan on releasing one. And I haven’t talked to the others. At least sig gave some sort of timeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jumping in. 

The R1T has has the aluminum build and shroud. Should be available in either footprint. There is also a steel R1 shroud that works with existing R1s. 

The 6MOAs area awesome. 

Max likes the taller window on the R3. He's been working with the Optics guys on a new Romeo that meets his specifications. It will be awesome. 

I wouldn't put a time table to any of this. 

5 minutes ago, alma said:

Jumping in. 

The R1T has has the aluminum build and shroud. Should be available in either footprint. There is also a steel R1 shroud that works with existing R1s. 

The 6MOAs area awesome. 

Max likes the taller window on the R3. He's been working with the Optics guys on a new Romeo that meets his specifications. It will be awesome. 

I wouldn't put a time table to any of this. 

Sounds great. What do you mean by "either footprint" for the R1T?

I will bet the eventual price of one right now - Whatever optic Max is designing, it will combine the full-circle lens of a traditional C-More with the body/footprint of a mini RDS

5 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

I think the R1T fits the military specified DPP footprint

Certainly a version of it, yes. The pictures in the link of my first post in this thread show a Romeo1 with some kind of metal shroud and integral rear iron sight mounted to a M17 which has the DPP footprint. It's unclear whether the R1T marketed to civilians will be similar or not, considering the slide cut on the public market RX/X-Series guns is slightly different.

It will be interesting to see how a military RFP for a pistol optic will change the consumer market - Once all the major optics manufacturers design a dot that fits the DPP footprint, we may start to see that become the standardized mounting pattern across "optics ready" platforms. No more universal cuts with adapter plates, because no matter what optic manufacturer you buy from they'll all have the same footprint. Would be a welcome change, in my opinion...

Edited by Rudukai13

• 3 months later...
On 5/25/2018 at 7:02 PM, Rudukai13 said:

Certainly a version of it, yes. The pictures in the link of my first post in this thread show a Romeo1 with some kind of metal shroud and integral rear iron sight mounted to a M17 which has the DPP footprint. It's unclear whether the R1T marketed to civilians will be similar or not, considering the slide cut on the public market RX/X-Series guns is slightly different.

It will be interesting to see how a military RFP for a pistol optic will change the consumer market - Once all the major optics manufacturers design a dot that fits the DPP footprint, we may start to see that become the standardized mounting pattern across "optics ready" platforms. No more universal cuts with adapter plates, because no matter what optic manufacturer you buy from they'll all have the same footprint. Would be a welcome change, in my opinion...

Looks like it should fit the X Five/X Carry, though.

On 9/19/2018 at 2:03 PM, benlineberry said:

Looks like it should fit the X Five/X Carry, though.

Or at least a version of the optic should. There's been a lot of new info that's come out, and it would appear Sig is going to have a couple versions of the R1 for different applications - One just the standard optic like we've all had for a while now, one that is basically the standard optic nested inside a metal shroud without the integral rear sight, and one that is a different metal shroud with the integral  rear sight to try to compete with the Leupold DPP for the M17 optic solicitation

Edited by Rudukai13

• 2 months later...

I figure that since no one else has done it, I would post a photo showing the difference between the 3 MOA and 6 MOA (right image) Romeo1 at maximum.

The thing is, the camera image doesn't really show the true difference.  The 6 MOA at maximum is literally blinding in normal light.  I personally find the 3 MOA works fine even in direct sunlight- I can see it even when aimed so the sun is directly in the window- but the 6 MOA is- dare I say it- too bright.  This thing is as luminous five settings below maximum as the 3 MOA at full brightness.  It is literally painful to look at.  However, the setting from level 5 to level 4 falls precipitously.  The 3 MOA is much more linear.

Honestly, I'm on the fence on this, as I have no issues with the 3 MOA in bright light.  If, however I find myself in a gunfight on the surface of the sun, then, yeah, the 6 MOA.

IMG_0494.jpeg

Edited by Archer

I agree that the step from 4-5 is too big.  Just yesterday at the range I was in one of those odd lighting situations where it was overcast but late in the day with the sun low and I would of liked to have a step between.  That said Im really liking the sight, no worries about the sight ever washing out on a bright day, way better than the 3 MOA Burris FF3 that Im coming from in that regard.

49 minutes ago, dave33 said:

I agree that the step from 4-5 is too big.  Just yesterday at the range I was in one of those odd lighting situations where it was overcast but late in the day with the sun low and I would of liked to have a step between.  That said Im really liking the sight, no worries about the sight ever washing out on a bright day, way better than the 3 MOA Burris FF3 that Im coming from in that regard.

Lol I had this exact issue yesterday.  One was blinding, the one below was a ghost of a dot.  I'm not complaining though, this has been the most reliable mini dot I've owned.

• 1 month later...

It looks to be, from SHOT 2019, that there will NOT be a Romeo1T.  They are now calling it the Romeo1Pro.

Do y'all remember the DeltaPoint 2 (the first gen DP with a metal shroud)?  I hopped on the DeltaPoint train before there ever was a DP Pro.  Once the Pro was announced, the DP2 just disappeared, never to actually be produced.

Currently is there any direct comparison article or video for R1 vs R2? Except the form factor, is there any significant differences between these two? I don't think only the rigidness will force competition runners to switch (unless you don't have to pay for your equipment, that's another story)? 

Edited by takamireg

The only thing I dislike about the DPP, and the better word would be HATE, is that the body is so tall.  The window ends up being way too high above the slide.  I know we're probably talking about only an extra millimeter taller than the Romeo1 body, but it feels really tall.  The window size is perfect, though!

On 1/26/2019 at 11:38 PM, CHLChris said:

It looks to be, from SHOT 2019, that there will NOT be a Romeo1T.  They are now calling it the Romeo1Pro.

Do y'all remember the DeltaPoint 2 (the first gen DP with a metal shroud)?  I hopped on the DeltaPoint train before there ever was a DP Pro.  Once the Pro was announced, the DP2 just disappeared, never to actually be produced.

Phil recently indicated that the Romeo1T was still coming. That was supposed to be a more ruggedized aluminum body R1 with the the traditional footprint. He mentioned a target of May for the R1Pro, which has the DPP footprint, and Q4 for the Romeo2

1 minute ago, alma said:

Phil recently indicated that the Romeo1T was still coming. That was supposed to be a more ruggedized aluminum body R1 with the the traditional footprint. He mentioned a target of May for the R1Pro, which has the DPP footprint, and Q4 for the Romeo2

So there will still be an optic which uses the current R1 footprint? Which must mean there will still be some guns cut specifically for that footprint, ones imagines?

Personally I like the current R1 optic w/ shroud and slide cut on the RX/X-Carry/X-Five guns. If they could make the optic a tad more robust and give it even better battery life, I'd see no reason to switch to something different

On 1/30/2019 at 9:08 PM, Rudukai13 said:

So there will still be an optic which uses the current R1 footprint? Which must mean there will still be some guns cut specifically for that footprint, ones imagines?

Personally I like the current R1 optic w/ shroud and slide cut on the RX/X-Carry/X-Five guns. If they could make the optic a tad more robust and give it even better battery life, I'd see no reason to switch to something different

Yeah but does it make sense for them to support two different footprints? 

I'm sure if they could get a "do over" they would have designed for the DPP footprint from the beginning.

On a slightly different note: If they would have designed/developed/manufactured the R1 to be a more robust optic in the first place; one that had gained a reputation for being equivalent or even superior to the DPP; we may not be in this mess right now.

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Just a FWIW

Think the reason the foot print is changing is due MAINLY from the military contract asking/requiring it!

The military model M17/M18 (and the production/collector model M17) have had the DPP footprint from the start

3 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Just a FWIW

Think the reason the foot print is changing is due MAINLY from the military contract asking/requiring it!

40 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

The military model M17/M18 (and the production/collector model M17) have had the DPP footprint from the start

Obviously why I said it.

thus a good reason to standardize the rest of the line.

and I own a couple of R1's but such is life.

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2018 at 3:14 PM, Shadyscott999 said:

The 6moa Romeo1 is without a doubt the brightest MRDS I have ever seen.  Brighter than the RTS2, the DPP the RMR and any other dot I have ever used.  I am normally a run the dot wide open kinda guy on my Open guns.  I have to turn the romeo down 3-4 clicks.  
Will it last, probably not.  None of the MRDS last.  They are all garbage.  
I really wish someone would simply come out with a bulletproof mini.  Even if it was $800 people who are serious would be lining up to buy it.  Put me down for 2.  

You don't think the type 2 RMRs last? I know not the optic of choice for Open guns....perhaps those are the types of MRDS you are commenting on. I know some had issues with Type 1s in the past. Never any issues with my RMRs and they get abused.  Not the large window of some optics but I carry mine so it's the only optic I will put on handguns. 

Just curious if you've experienced any issues and if so what were they and when did they fail?

On 2/1/2019 at 5:11 PM, ddc said:

I'm sure if they could get a "do over" they would have designed for the DPP footprint from the beginning.

On a slightly different note: If they would have designed/developed/manufactured the R1 to be a more robust optic in the first place; one that had gained a reputation for being equivalent or even superior to the DPP; we may not be in this mess right now.

Agreed. This is all at Sig's feet for not producing a reliable optic, even after years of iterations of them. I've had several of their Gen 5's (their most recent generation) fail, even on brand new RX's.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:32 AM, jejb said:

Agreed. This is all at Sig's feet for not producing a reliable optic, even after years of iterations of them. I've had several of their Gen 5's (their most recent generation) fail, even on brand new RX's.

This.

SIG is going to have to find a pistol RDS that can overcome the poor reputation of the ROMEO1 (for high volume shooters). If the ROMEO1 T/Pro is a repackaged ROMEO1, that will not do it. Perhaps the ROMEO2 is the hope, but it will be a loooong time before many of those have seen enough rounds by enough shooters to get a new market foothold.

I have a DeltaPoint Pro on my new P320-M17. If the ROMEO1 had a better reputation, I might have gotten an X-FIVE or full-size RX instead. But the transition away from the ROMEO1 and towards the DPP slide cut is clear, so I got on that train early.