Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig has a new pistol red dot

Rudukai13

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/01/22/new-army-handgun-with-advanced-sight-and-suppressor-featured-at-gun-show/

Take a look at the slide-mounted red dot on the M17 in these pictures - That doesn't look like any of the Romeo optics I've seen yet. It almost looks (conspicuously) like a Deltapoint Pro...Shrouded lens, integrated rear iron sight...Why would Sig bother to show off another company's product when they make a direct competitor though?

EDIT: Upon further inspection of the pictures the optic is clearly branded Sig Sauer. This is a new product.

Details scarce at this time. Let the rumors begin...

Edited by Rudukai13

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/01/22/new-army-handgun-with-advanced-sight-and-suppressor-featured-at-gun-show/

Take a look at the slide-mounted red dot on the M17 in these pictures - That doesn't look like any of the Romeo optics I've seen yet. It almost looks (conspicuously) like a Deltapoint Pro...Shrouded lens, integrated rear iron sight...Why would Sig bother to show off another company's product when they make a direct competitor though?

EDIT: Upon further inspection of the pictures the optic is clearly branded Sig Sauer. This is a new product.

Details scarce at this time. Let the rumors begin...

Nice!!! I am glad i didnt buy the romeo yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to say kind of looks like a modified Romeo 1 to me more than a Deltapoint.

the Romeo 3 is very similar to the rts2 so if they did just rebrand another dot for the most part it wouldn’t be the first time.

Another theory based on the second picture - This may be a combination "shroud/mounting plate/rear iron sight" product that the current Romeo1 sits inside. The actual optic part is very reminiscent of the current production Romeo1.

Or maybe it's a Romeo1 variant with an added shroud and integral rear iron sight, like a toughened-up version of the Romeo1 - Let's keep the context in mind here; there is a reason Sig decided to show off this sight on the M17 rather than the X-Five.

Or it could be something entirely new...

Apologies for my initial reaction...My excitement at possibly seeing an M17 in the wild blinded me to the further context of the photo.

Please do let us know when you have the opportunity to shoot it! You mentioned you're expecting to get some Leupolds for them soon - You know for certain they'll be Leupold-branded?

More and more likely the sight in the original link is a re-branded DPP from Sig me thinks...

1 hour ago, ZacSquatch said:

Yup, work gun. In the 101st, we were the first ones to get them. We haven’t even had a range with them yet.

So since you can answer what’s up with the grip the army has you guys using on pistols? I see a lot of pictures  with the strong hand thumb tucked under the weak hand 

6 hours ago, Nathanb said:

So since you can answer what’s up with the grip the army has you guys using on pistols? I see a lot of pictures  with the strong hand thumb tucked under the weak hand 

That I don't know. The one block of "Instruction" I received was a thumbs forwards grip, but many different people have been taught many different ways.

I'm calling it:  Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Zooming in on it, it looks like a custom fit to the gun.  I don't think the rear sight is integrated to the red dot, but rather the red dot snugs up perfectly to the rear sight already installed on the gun, as can be seen in ZacSquatch's photo.  The windage adjustment buttons are about where they would be on an RTS2 (a la, Romeo 3 in Sig parlance), and the diode placement is about in the same spot as an RTS2.  But the lens shape is wrong for an RTS2... but not for an STS!!!  I'm going to bet that it's an STS with body modifications to fit the gun's milling and hole pattern of a DPP, addition of an iintegrated hood, and Sig's favorite Stealth fighter angles.  Bam.

Next speculator-- UP!!!!

You’re missing the fact that the Average Joe secretly fantasizes that he’s really an undiscovered Rambo, even though he knows nothing about the military, etc., and so this is a huge revelation— “there’s this new company called Sig!”  Frankly, you can keep the gun— the hooded dot is more interesting to me than the tupperware it’s sitting on.  

23 hours ago, ZacSquatch said:

The contract stated ability to use DPP, but if SIG makes another red dot with same pattern, that’s on them.

The hole pattern for the DPP and R1 are the same, but the DPP requires a .05" longer optic cut. Kind of confused seeing the R1 mounted in the article when I thought the Mil guns were cut for the DPP. I suppose the R1 would fit, but there'd be a .05" gap between the front of the optic cut and the R1.

17 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I'm calling it:  Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Zooming in on it, it looks like a custom fit to the gun.  I don't think the rear sight is integrated to the red dot, but rather the red dot snugs up perfectly to the rear sight already installed on the gun, as can be seen in ZacSquatch's photo.  The windage adjustment buttons are about where they would be on an RTS2 (a la, Romeo 3 in Sig parlance), and the diode placement is about in the same spot as an RTS2.  But the lens shape is wrong for an RTS2... but not for an STS!!!  I'm going to bet that it's an STS with body modifications to fit the gun's milling and hole pattern of a DPP, addition of an iintegrated hood, and Sig's favorite Stealth fighter angles.  Bam.

Next speculator-- UP!!!!

Or... it’s a Romeo 1 with a hood and redesigned body to fit the space....  ?

It's called the Rev 2. The Sig rep briefly mentions it in the video below (it's not on-screen and no technical specs though). Confirmed, this is a new production sight;

Also, on a bit of an unrelated tangent - Producing a civilian model of an issued firearm as a collectors piece and then changing a bunch of parts between the as-issued and civilian market model has got to be just about the dumbest move I have ever heard of. They just pissed off 99% of the guys who were at all interested in buying one of the civilian models of the M17. Not that I was going to, but even I know the kind of people who buy military-type stuff as collectible memorabilia want as close as legally possible to the as-issued item...