Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

olp73

I did a search but nothing on the new Nightforce NX8 1-8 scopes? Should be a great choice for our sport, right? Is there something I have not understood here?

Scope seem to be light, compact, BDC, good reticle, 1-8X, FFP, day time visible?

What is not to like?

They're a new product, are they actually available in stock anywhere yet?  Optics Planet lists them at $1700, but says they'll ship in 9-18 days.  My experience with Optics Planet tells me that means they actually have no clue when they'll have them to ship.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

A local guy had one for sale he won of the prize table for $1300....I was drooling until I read that is was FFP.   The experts around here say SFP is the shiz for 3gun.

Ffp would be my choice for a 1-8. That way the reticle is correctly calibrated for drops at any power setting ...and on 1 power with illumination on all you see is a dot.

6 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

Ffp would be my choice for a 1-8. That way the reticle is correctly calibrated for drops at any power setting ...and on 1 power with illumination on all you see is a dot.

True.  But I have found that the hash marks on my Razor  come in hand at close range too, because I can use the first one as a hold for 15 and in targets.

17 hours ago, Garmil said:

Fairly tight eyebox is the main downside

Have you had a chance to play with one? Do you have anything you could compare it to such as a vortex ii-e or Burris xtr-ii 1-8?

1 hour ago, DocMedic said:

Have you had a chance to play with one? Do you have anything you could compare it to such as a vortex ii-e or Burris xtr-ii 1-8?

I have - the vortex has a far superior eye box.  That said, the NF has a place - it's extremely small and compact.  I just don't think it's THE 3 gun choice.  Maybe the atacr version. 

I would look at a 1-6 unless you are planning to shoot really far out. Don’t get me wrong Nightforce makes great scopes, just may be too much power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, xdr said:

The NX8 reticle is way too big at 8x. Thats the only thing i didnt like about. Great glass, tolerable eye box, light and well made. 

It hasn't been a problem for me. When it at 8x, im shooting distance and using holds. The larger center of the reticle ( you're right its a bit too large ) is out of the way of my targets. As someone already mentioned, the eye box is not what the SFP Razor 1-6 has going for it. That said, I like them both and the extra 2x is kind of nice at times. 

I just received my NX8 2 weeks ago.  The eyebox isn't as large as the Razor, but I like the size, weight and the fact it's a FFP is a large reason I wanted to try one.  My other rifle scopes are first focal plane and not worrying what I'm set at when I shoot at a target is a good piece of mind.  It's not perfect, but it seems to be a good fit for me.  

And as far as reticle being too large at 8x, is less of a concern as the major matches I attend and will attend in the future have always used a fairly large plate for a target.  Once we get to shooting 4" plates at 400yds, then I might worry.  (The strike eagle reticle is huge in comparison and I never had an issue with it)

I picked up a NX8 last week from opticplanet. I have not had much time to play with it yet. I did get 12% off of it with free 2 day shipping.  Thanks to the savings on the discount; I was able to get a BOBRO mount and was still cheaper than the list price.  

I had a chance to play with my NX8. The eyebox is tight at 8x, but considering I have shot the past 5 or so years in limited I highly dought I'll need all that power for 500 yards and in. The glass is super clear and even at 6x I had no issues mounting and dismounting off the rifle for quick shot. The 1x "reddot" makes me gitty as a limited shooter, I had no issues hitting 200 yard targets with the scope on 1x with the dot being blistering bright. 

I think people are getting to caught up on short eyebox on this scope. Is it a razor? No, but it is high quality glass that's light and super short.

-Curtis

FB_IMG_1534288767876.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 7:56 PM, GorillaTactical said:

I have - the vortex has a far superior eye box.  That said, the NF has a place - it's extremely small and compact.  I just don't think it's THE 3 gun choice.  Maybe the atacr version. 

This pretty much sums it up. It is very good at what it sets out to do, which is balance a number of priorities- size, weight, durability, power, illumination, clarity, etc. I have not had much time with mine yet, but think the reticle is very usable and the excellent illumination somewhat mitigates the tight eye box. 

However, if you consider that its retail puts it close to Swarovski and Kahles, it is a very difficult decision. For what it is worth, I would trade my NX8 for another K16 without much hesitation.