Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did it. Not sure they liked my answers. hahaha.
I'm sure your answers are fine unless you flamed them in the comments.

My comments were that the CDP needs to be a 1911 format because that's what CDP is all about. I also suggested they make a "match champion" 9mm Redhawk that takes moon clips and holds 9 rounds. Something that's not IDPA legal but competes with the S&W 929.

Hopefully the results will be made public.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

No, I didn't do anything like that, I gave them my name and contact information and answered each question truthfully. But my answers were ones that reflect more like what I see in other manufacturer's catalogs than in Ruger's. What I asked them to make I don't think is very philosophically close to what they like.

And what makes a good competition gun isn't often what makes a gun an average joe wants to buy. If you're going to ask me what I want for competition you better accept the answer. That's why I'm just guessing they didn't like my answers. I think, just think, they had certain things in mind before the survey was even asked and it is a way to validate the notions and trends they already have and want to be a part of. But that really is just a lot of presumption on my part.

I'll take the survey in a minute and I'll attempt to do so without preconceived notions. I'm not a Ruger fan by any means but I am very impressed by the way they've pushed hard the last few years in the rifle market. The RPR was the beginning of a new era, the new Precision Rimfire could do the same thing for the trainer market, they're on the ball with popular chamberings and twist rates, their PCC isn't a gamer gun but they're doing better at watching trends than other companies. I don't particularly care for any of the guns I listed but there's no denying that at least the RPR was a game changer.

...their PCC isn't a gamer gun but...there's no denying that at least the RPR was a game changer.

The RPR is quite unique in that it offers some good features and good accuracy at a price that's quite a bit better than most everything else it competes with.

The PCC is pretty bland and is really just sort of a 10/22 revamped to shoot 9mm. The only reason anyone is paying any attention to it is because it can be configured to take Glock mags. In fact I think Ruger could have made everyone happy and just skipped the Ruger magazine interface. They should have just shipped the gun with the Glock adapter installed and sent out two Magpul mags. Sell the Ruger mag adapter as an accessory.

Otherwise I think the Ruger ARs are solid. The new MPR should work well as an entry level 3gun rifle and I've generally had good luck with their piston guns.

The 1911 line is also pretty solid and it wouldn't take much to make a USPSA/IDPA pistol based on what they already make. The Target would probably work fine with the addition of a mag well and fiber optic front sight.

Revolvers are a slightly different story. The Match Champion appears to be a pretty good out of the box choice for IDPA. Ruger will probably need to make a Match Champion Redhawk in 9mm to expand into other venues. That shouldn't be too hard for them to do.

This leaves Production and SSP/ESP. Does Ruger make a polymer frame handgun that's easily modified to work in these venues? The American is reliable and accurate enough but it is somewhat lacking in ergonomics and it might be quite expensive to make new frame molds for the gun. Some type of "professional" Security 9 might work if Ruger can tweak the trigger somewhat.

Lastly we have Limited and Open. Possibly ESP depending on frame compatibility with 9, 40, 9 Major. Ruger already makes the frame castings for Caspian so they should be able to make a 1911 hicap on the Caspian format.

...and I offered my input!  I appreciate them reaching out to end users rather than just blindly regurgitating  “what’s always worked.”  I recommended a gun design that doesn’t currently exist, at least in mass production, and I suspect my basic "form-filled" request will be repeated a lot.  Be nice if they listen.  

Edited by jkrispies

I recommended a gun design that doesn’t currently exist, at least in mass production.  Be nice if they listen.  

I think Ruger would be smart to expand on/further develop the American as a modular concept.

Look at the P320. Something like the X5 can be used in just about any division or sport. Want a Limited gun? Buy a 40 top end and get some extended base plates. Want a Production gun? Remove your mag well or swap on a standard grip module. Want a CCP gun? Pull the X5 chassis and put it into a 320 Compact frame/slide kit.

One trigger to learn and get good with yet the ability to compete in a bunch of divisions.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Toolguy said:

But will we ever know the results of the survey?

richard-dawson-survey-says.jpg

I'm guessing not but it would be nice to see the results.  Then again I'm just hoping they make a 10 shot Super Redhawk in 327 federal.  If they do that they can hide the answers all they want.