Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot It or Pull It?

BlueBulletBeaker

w_17.png?itok=17sNJj5h&resize=1100x740

For best results, use metal foil tape.
41SkDu2evTL._AC_UL320_SR290,320_.jpg

But seriously, I would knowingly shoot a round with split brass, and certainly not with such a long split. The bullet may be reusable (if the coating hasn’t been compromised by the split brass, and if you’re really cheap, the primer can be salvaged (though I don’t think any press manufacturer recommends decapping brass with live primers).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Pull it, fire the primer/empty case, then trash it.

J

I would take this advice. If a case has a crack in it that I can see, gets trashed. I am not taking any risk what so ever. Only takes one to ruin your day.

If you have to ask....  Having said that, yes, I would shoot it and I have shot many like it.  9 major no less.

In a case like this, the chamber is what is actually carrying the load and the brass is just sealed up against it.  If there's a break in the seal it's not critical.  You don't get anything in your face and the like until failures at the rear of cases occur which is something that isn't contained by the chamber.

Remember neck tension?  Holds the bullet in place?  If you don't have enough neck tension the bullet can be shoved deeper into the case - raising chamber pressures.

I would not shoot that.  When it feeds from the magazine to the chamber it'll take a smack on the nose of the bullet and there's no way to tell how deeply into the case it'll move back.  As to dropping it in the chamber (if it even will, due to the cracked brass sticking up) is your pistol "okay" with jamming the extractor claw into/over the case rim?  That normally doesn't happen.  The extractor claw slips over the rim as the cartridge moves upwards from the magazine to the chamber.

• 1 month later...