Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot It or Pull It?

BlueBulletBeaker

This little guy wouldn't gauge today. It took it minute before I noticed why. So what do you guys do when you discover a finished cartridge with a cracked case? Do you go ahead and shoot it? Or do you cut your loses and pull it?

I know what I'm going to do with this guy... 

IMG_6197.jpg

Edited by BlueBulletBeaker

I see a lot of people saying shoot it. First, do you even know if it will chamber? And, if it does, and you fire it, are you sure that the bullet will leave the barrel? Quite possible that the weak brass will let the gas bypass the bullet and you are left with a squib. Also possible that you may flame cut the chamber of the gun, blow hot gasses back in your face, have the brass split in the chamber and get stuck, or any other type of failure. My guns, my hands, my eyes, and my time are way more important than a single piece of brass. Pull it, save the powder to go in another case, save the bullet to go in another case, and toss the brass.

Looks a lot better than a lot of the ammo I used to shoot. I've got a moderate collection of WW1 and 2 guns and it wasn't uncommon for the surplus ammo to have some big cracks. If cracked 8mm Mauser or 30-06 didn't blow my face off I won't lose much sleep over cracked 9mm.