Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding Weight to STI Edge

drivenagain

13 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

It's a lot more than just a barrel.  The slide is opened up and a tungsten sleeved barrel is used.  It is pretty difficult and there are a lot of pitfalls to doing it right.  

I manufacture jewelry, I enjoy  challenging projects.  As this is bigger in Phillipenes, its only done here by a few and the data is limited.  Im familiar with sleeving, tapered and straight, curious if there are more companies offering this build.

15 minutes ago, IsaacB said:

Deep River Custom sells a threaded tungsten sleeve bushing that you thread onto a bushing barrel to make it into a sleeved bull barrel for $80. That's where I would start.

+1

if this fit slide without change it i think that it's better. 

i think there is other ways add weigh without change delicate  balance of reliable cycle of the gun

Edited by yigal

Not sure if Akai actually makes them.  I believe they use kart barrels.  Have yet to even handle a gun with a sleeved barrel.  Not common here at all.  Lightening the slide on your edge may give you the same result your trying to accomplish with a heavier gun.  Take away some of the reciprocating mass of the edge slide and it will reduce muzzle rise.  In theory of course.  

I'd explore other avenues of adding weight up front if you think you want that. 

I'd try a tungsten full length guide rod first before committing to cutting up the slide and fitting a sleeve to the barrel. 

2 hours ago, drivenagain said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Very helpful!

I have just ordered an EGW tungsten guide rod along with a PT Evo grip.

I think this is the best way to try and achieve what your looking for without permanent mods to the gun.  I think you will be pleased with your choice.

• 1 year later...
49 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Those deep river custom tungsten sleeves weigh 50 grams/ 1.7oz. 

Would the difference be noticeable if you have to remove material from the bull barrel to fit it? 

Just got some delivered today and not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. 

u can calculate this. but probably u will remove ~22 grams  for this sleeve in same dimensions.