Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 or .45 Single stack?

DsWright

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, jdonohue said:

I'm curious.  Why would you want to shoot .40 S&W minor in Single Stack division?

You wouldn't!

Buy a 40 and shoot major or buy a 9 and shoot minor !

Or buy both so you can choose the day of the match which will work better for you and your shooting style!

Compromise is always that!

Still confused (us old ****'s get that way). In single stack, isn't the maximum count in the mag dictated by caliber (only 9/38super gets the +1)? If we're talking L10, and the stages are all spitting distance like El Presidente, I can see a slight advantage. As the distance increases, I see less benefit in being scored minor in return for a few extra rounds. But that may say more about my skill level then it does about the concept. ;-)

3 hours ago, jdonohue said:

Still confused (us old ****'s get that way). In single stack, isn't the maximum count in the mag dictated by caliber (only 9/38super gets the +1)? If we're talking L10, and the stages are all spitting distance like El Presidente, I can see a slight advantage. As the distance increases, I see less benefit in being scored minor in return for a few extra rounds. But that may say more about my skill level then it does about the concept. ;-)

Minor power factor gets to load 10 + 1. 

Load .40 S&W to minor power factor, and if you have 10 round mags, you can shoot minor. 

Load to major power factor and you load 8 + 1.

Bring both batches of ammo to a match and figure out whether you want to shoot minor or major, depending what the stages favor.

In theory. Not sure anyone really does that. Most people I shoot with favor one over the other (minor vs. major) for scoring purposes. 

7 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

Minor power factor gets to load 10 + 1. 

Load .40 S&W to minor power factor, and if you have 10 round mags, you can shoot minor. 

Load to major power factor and you load 8 + 1.

Bring both batches of ammo to a match and figure out whether you want to shoot minor or major, depending what the stages favor.

In theory. Not sure anyone really does that. Most people I shoot with favor one over the other (minor vs. major) for scoring purposes. 

This sounds good in theory, until you see someone who has a ton of issues with it.  10 round 40 mags that are SS legal are not reliable that i have seen.

Anyone i know who shoots both Major and Minor is SS has a 40or45 and a 9.  When i started the Op for this thread one of the things i never considered was doing both major/minor from the same gun.

I would much rather have a dedicated minor gun.  Or as it is now, i only shoot major.

5 minutes ago, DsWright said:

This sounds good in theory, until you see someone who has a ton of issues with it.  10 round 40 mags that are SS legal are not reliable that i have seen.

Anyone i know who shoots both Major and Minor is SS has a 40or45 and a 9.  When i started the Op for this thread one of the things i never considered was doing both major/minor from the same gun.

I would much rather have a dedicated minor gun.  Or as it is now, i only shoot major.

Same here. I have a .40 gun for major and a 9mm for Minor or IDPA ESP (on the rare occasions I shoot IDPA). I also have a .45 because, well everyone should have a .45 ACP 1911. Hardly shoot the .45  anymore. If I could find a reason to, I"d have a .38 Super, but the last thing I need is a gun that requires brass I can't pick up for free. .45 is getting that way too, almost nobody shoots it up here (northern California). .40 and 9mm brass can be had by the bucketful for free, so that's what I shoot.

I got my mags before I knew of SS box legal 10 round .40 S&W mags. If I had known, I would have tried to get them to work just cause it would be cool to have, but not willing to spend the coin now. 

49 minutes ago, Dr Mitch said:

.40.  You can literally see .45 becoming obsolete with each passing day.

There are those plotting your demise for such blasphemy.

That said, I couldn't agree more. At least on the USPSA ranges. 

Of course there are those who say .40 S&W is obsolete, but you wouldn't know it by looking on the ground at a USPSA range. 

As a wild guess, I'd say a much greater percentage of .45s are sold per year than .40 or 9mms.  In USPSA the .40 may be more popular but in the general population i sincerely doubt it is.  Speaking only of 1911s.

(Computer has learned how to change the print style all by itself, clever little devil)

2 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

.40.  You can literally see .45 becoming obsolete with each passing day.

Weird. I shoot at 5 different clubs from northern to southern California, and almost all the SS shooters are shooting  .45. Those that are not are shooting minor 9mm. I cannot recall seeing any .40 SS shooters.

18 minutes ago, Eureka1911 said:

Weird. I shoot at 5 different clubs from northern to southern California, and almost all the SS shooters are shooting  .45. Those that are not are shooting minor 9mm. I cannot recall seeing any .40 SS shooters.

Here in Northern .CA there aren't many Single Stack shooters. Usually 10 or Les per match in Richmond.

New guys use .45 or 9mm. Some experienced guys using .45, likely cause they have a ton invested in their custom gun plus accessories.

But when I see experienced shooters from other divisions dipping their toes in the SS  waters, they usually go for .40 S&W (Limcat, Infinity or other customs usually) if shooting Major and 9mm for Minor. And theres very little .45 brass to pick up. Im guessing the .45 shooters are getting like the ..38 Super guys and getting most of their brass after they shoot.

California's an odd place, no .40 SS guns are on our "Safe Handgun Roster", and only two 9mm guns. So the fact that there are any .40 S&W guns at matches is kind of remarkable.

4 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Here in Northern .CA there aren't many Single Stack shooters. Usually 10 or Les per match in Richmond.

New guys use .45 or 9mm. Some experienced guys using .45, likely cause they have a ton invested in their custom gun plus accessories.

But when I see experienced shooters from other divisions dipping their toes in the SS  waters, they usually go for .40 S&W (Limcat, Infinity or other customs usually) if shooting Major and 9mm for Minor. And theres very little .45 brass to pick up. Im guessing the .45 shooters are getting like the ..38 Super guys and getting most of their brass after they shoot.

California's an odd place, no .40 SS guns are on our "Safe Handgun Roster", and only two 9mm guns. So the fact that there are any .40 S&W guns at matches is kind of remarkable.

Northern California?? Stop, you're killing me!! I live 6 hours NORTH of you and I'm still 90 minutes from the Oregon border!!

But I digress. You're right, SS is pretty rare at most matches I attend not only up here, but down south as well.But like I said, at the matches I do go to and shoot SS I do not recall seeing any .40, mostly .45 and 9mm. YMMV.

12 hours ago, Eureka1911 said:

Northern California?? Stop, you're killing me!! I live 6 hours NORTH of you and I'm still 90 minutes from the Oregon border!!

But I digress. You're right, SS is pretty rare at most matches I attend not only up here, but down south as well.But like I said, at the matches I do go to and shoot SS I do not recall seeing any .40, mostly .45 and 9mm. YMMV.

Don't know if you've ever shot at Richmond, f you haven't, you should. Lots of good shooters and fun matches. Six hours would be a long drive for a match though.

I'd estimate it's probably 4-6 out of 10 Single Stack shooters shooting .45 and 2-3 each for 9mm & .40 S&W (one less since I put the Single Stack away this year). It's only notable because of how rare .40 S&W guns are in California. That number varies when there's a Gridiron match (Single Stack and Production only, where Open and Limited guys have to shoot something non-high cap), or when it looked like >10 round magazines were going to be outlawed.

5 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Don't know if you've ever shot at Richmond, f you haven't, you should. Lots of good shooters and fun matches. Six hours would be a long drive for a match though.

I'd estimate it's probably 4-6 out of 10 Single Stack shooters shooting .45 and 2-3 each for 9mm & .40 S&W (one less since I put the Single Stack away this year). It's only notable because of how rare .40 S&W guns are in California. That number varies when there's a Gridiron match (Single Stack and Production only, where Open and Limited guys have to shoot something non-high cap), or when it looked like >10 round magazines were going to be outlawed.

Have not made it Richmond yet. Richmond would be closer to 5-1/2 for me. Up north I shoot with the North Coast Pistol League in Eureka and the Shasta Shooters in Redding. Tried to get into a couple of matches at the Davis (Solano) club, but they are always full before they allow non-members to sign up. 

Down south in LA/Orange counties I shoot with the Deadwood Boys in Piru, a couple of clubs in Corona Hills (Norco Running Guns and Prado Running Guns), and down i Pala with the Linea Del Fuego group. Even made it to a match in Lake Havasu City a couple of weeks ago. I like shooting with different clubs. Lots of different stage set ups, different folks and so on. Hopefully I can make it down to Richmond sometime soon.

On 2/24/2018 at 6:54 PM, Eureka1911 said:

You can see it in the brass on the ground.  Less .45ACP with each passing month.  9mm is absolutely dominating.  .40 isn’t killing .45 as much as 9mm is simply taking over.

• 2 weeks later...