Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Javascripts

mcoliver

I recently installed a plug-in for firefox that blocks javascripts. But I have yet to come across any decent site that didn't trigger this thing.

Now I'm thinking of uninstalling it completely since most sites I visit, if the script is blocked, won't display properly. Even the BE forums.

Are script threats real for a firefox user behind a corporate firewall? :unsure:

You can try to block javascripts, but as you've found, a whole lot of websites aren't going to work as a result, including any of these forums, and uspsa.org. The main "security" enhancement of firefox is (I believe) that it doesn't run ActiveX comtrols. Apparently, its easier for a computer terrorist (what everyone else calls a hacker) to have more fun at your expense with ActiveX than any of the other web-based facilities.

You can get by without Javascript on uspsa.org, except when using the forums, shopping cart and photo gallery. It's also used for a couple of optional goodies - like saving the last USPSA # you used in the classification lookup, but we don't use any of the popup/pullout menus which are Javascript driven. If you have Javscript enabled, the photo on the home page will not rotate, and the menu buttons on the left and top of the page will not change color when the cursor is dragged over them. Also, when you use the on-line membership, Javascript is used to validate the data before it's submitted so you lose that nicety as well.

Rob

Is there some known problem with javascript?

I know people often block it, we've discussed it before, but I'm not aware of any malicious things javascript can do.. annoying yes, but malicious?

Just wondering...

If there is a known problem, if you can reference a real security bulletin, that would be great..

Agreed with Dave. Annoying, yes. Dangerous, no. Especially not if you are using FireFox instead of IE on the Wintel platform.

Uninstall it and get back to enjoying the Internet as the web designers intended ;-)

--

Regards,