Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold Glass to go over 1000

spininfirec

I have a Ruger precision 6.5 creedmore and I am a big Leupold fan so I would like to Buy from them unless highly unadvised.  They say the gun will push a mile so I would like some glass that could do that or atleast any PRS match.  So Leupold Fans, do they have something that would be worth the money.  Ideally I would guess 6-24x but I'm wondering if I would be wrong getting the Mark6   3-18x?

Edited by spininfirec

New mark 5    5 X25  to be released at shot show for sale the following Monday. Supposed to be designed for prs.  ( with all the goodies added in the $2700 range)  I Have a 50%  cert for the Leopold. Spoke with the custom shop guys Friday. That's where my info came from. I Personally run nightforce nsx on all my long rifles, to include the ruger.  ( you really cant go wrong running a nightforce, not claiming its "the best" but it will do everything you want it to do WELL)

find and hit a long range match or two and see what everyone is using and what they like and don't, and see the brand representation.  most if not everyone will let you look at and thru their scopes.  i really haven't shopped around but super happy with the two NF NXS 5.5-22's i have, one in 50 and one in 56.

You'll be fine with Leupold.  If you miss at a mile it's not going to be due to you buying a leupold. 

If you're willing to spend there are a lot of good choices at that price point.  Leupold doesn't get much love due to being more expensive and a little dated in the reticle department.  Maybe that will change at shot this year.

I'd check out some other options and identify the features you want.   At that price point most scopes are pretty similar but reticle design is really the big difference.

I have an older Mark 4 LRT M3 3.5x10 that will do anything most people can do with a rifle. You can see anything you’ll hit with a typical precision rifle to at least 1,000 yards. I also have a 5.5x22 Nightforce that is also a great scope but I got the Leupold used for about half the cost. I actually prefer the goldish reticle in the Leupold just from an aesthetic standpoint. I’ve only used both in known distance competition so I can’t speak to the usefulness of the reticle options.

With all that said, I’ve been out of the game for a long time. Leupold may not be “in” right now but I doubt you’ll be unhappy with one of their higher end scopes as long as it suits your mission.

The problem with Leupold is not that they don't work, they do. But their $2500 scopes are comparable to everyone else's $1700 scopes. That and they're always 5 years behind everybody else and then when they catch up they act like they just invented sliced bread.

As an aside, the MK6 3-18's have one of the worst failure rates of any scope in that price range. I've seen two of them out of 2 examples shit the bed.

Edited by TonytheTiger

12 hours ago, barebones1 said:

New mark 5    5 X25  to be released at shot show for sale the following Monday. Supposed to be designed for prs.  ( with all the goodies added in the $2700 range)  I Have a 50%  cert for the Leopold. Spoke with the custom shop guys Friday. That's where my info came from. I Personally run nightforce nsx on all my long rifles, to include the ruger.  ( you really cant go wrong running a nightforce, not claiming its "the best" but it will do everything you want it to do WELL)

you have 50% off cert for sale?

I have had Leupold and now have two Tangent Thetas and a S&B. Leupold doesn’t even compare to the higher end scopes. They are really lacking in every category. Can it accomplish your purpose? Yes. However other brands have better features in the same price range. In my opinion Tangent Theta is at the top of the hill right now and any rifle that I was really serious about shooting any distance would have a TT on it.

14 hours ago, dddoo7 said:

I have had Leupold and now have two Tangent Thetas and a S&B. Leupold doesn’t even compare to the higher end scopes. They are really lacking in every category. Can it accomplish your purpose? Yes. However other brands have better features in the same price range. In my opinion Tangent Theta is at the top of the hill right now and any rifle that I was really serious about shooting any distance would have a TT on it.

Ive not heard of tangent theta.  wow, from the price they must be nice.  I'd like to stay under $2000 unless very persuaded.

If you're just getting started something like the Vortex PST gen 2 or Burris XTR2 is gonna be a great way to get you in the game for around a grand. Depending on how deep you get into long range you may not ever feel the need to upgrade.

On 1/17/2018 at 7:23 PM, TonytheTiger said:

If you're just getting started something like the Vortex PST gen 2 or Burris XTR2 is gonna be a great way to get you in the game for around a grand. Depending on how deep you get into long range you may not ever feel the need to upgrade.

I have several buddies with the PST gen 2 and it looks very nice.  I was also recommended the Burris by a buddy.  I come from a 3gun and uspsa background and love Leupold for the delta pro and mark 6 1-6x, this being the reason I was asking Leupold.  And I'm not a fan of vortex for 3 gun and uspsa.  But I understand long range is another game.  I guess it all comes down to what I want to spend.  Thanks for the advice

On 1/15/2018 at 10:39 PM, warpspeed said:

Vortex, Nightforce, Kahles, S&B, Tangent Theta, etc

Go over to Snipershide.com forum  and dig in!

Here's the winning answer.  Btw, SB PMIIs are on sale all over the place right now (Eurootic, Mile High, Optics Planet, etc).  I picked up a 5-25 PMII for under $2300.  Nothing Leupold makes is going to come close to that scope. 

The mark 6 3-18x is an excellent optic. I have personally made hits past 1200 with one. They aren’t perfect, but are capable. I like the size and weight when I don’t want to carry the Hubble Telescope on top of my rifle. When the Benders and NF are too big, the little Mark 6 fits the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen hits made that far with $300 optics. What's your point?

Cool story, he was asking if it would be appropriate for an optic to reach beyond 1,000 and specifically a 3-18x.

Rarely does a $300 optic resolve images well, eliminate parallax, and track with a good feature set for $300. If you have one that works, good for you. It’s a unicorn that you better hang on to. The units I own and others I’ve used do so as well as SOCOM buying a ton of them. They work and have a stronger erector, a real zero stop, parallax elimination, and knobs that have more than 5 mils a rev....I guess the new PST Gen II has ten, but those things practically fall apart on their own.

What’s your point besides bitching an moaning about not liking something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't bitch or moan. Nor did I say I had the $300 optic in question. Nor did you add any of those qualifiers in your most recent post. You said you made it to 1200 yards with a Leupold. Thats nice. Still doesn't mean shit on it's own.