Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Triji RMR RM07 Verified Dot Size?

jkrispies

Hi all!  

I have several RM06's and like them, but I believe that the 3.25moa dot is a bit larger than advertised.  I've been thinking of picking up an RM07 for a Carry Optics build, but I have never actually looked through one and am curious if the "6.5moa dot" is REALLY 6.5moa or significantly larger?  I ask because I looked through a friend's DeltaPoint Pro last weekend with the "7.5moa" triangle and... jeez!!!!  Even forgetting the triangle aspect of it, that thing looked WAAAAY bigger than 7.5 moa, and it would drive me up the wall just for the sheer size of it.  I know lots of folks comment that the DPP 2.5moa is larger than 2.5moa--the same way I'm seeing the RM06's 3.25 as larger than 3.25--so that is making me curious as to where the RM07's dot actually stands before I commit funds to it.  

On a side note, I've tested the RTS2's 8moa dot, and it's a true 8moa, so if folks want to do an eyeball comparison, the Cmore makes a nice benchmark.  I test dot size by printing various sized "dots" and placing them at 25 yards, then seeing what printed size matches the overlaid dot.  For example, to my eye the RTS2's 8moa dot perfectly covered a 2 inch print at 25 yards, which I verified on two different 8moa RTS2's.  Since everyone's eyes are different, I would think this is slightly subjective when actually doing it, but it's as close to a scientific test as I could pull off.

For anybody who wants a Microsoft Word copy of my 25 yard MOA templates, I'll attempt to attach it to this post.  My templates are for 1 through 12 MOA.  If the attachment doesn't work, feel free to PM me with your email and I'll forward it to you.

Thanks for the help,

J

MOA Test Dots.docx

Edited by jkrispies

How good are your eyes? If you have a bit of astigmatism, the dots on the RDS will appear a bit fuzzy and larger. To me, the dots appear a bit fuzzy. I was told a few years back that I have a bit of astigmatism (not enough to be corrected at the time). 

My eyes are good when corrected. For instance, when I looked through the 7.5 DPP, I was pleasantly surprised at how sharp the triangle lines and points were. I also see the Triji and Cmore dots as nicely rounded, whereas the Bushnell TRS-25 is a blob... because it’s a blob...

I don’t know how accurate manufactures specs are but a 7.5 MOA dot at hundred yards should cover 7.5 inches, at 50 yds it should cover 3.75, and at 25 1.87 inches.  However when you turn up the brightness they look bigger to me.  I just went a DPP and I thought that the dot might be too small for my aging eyes, but so far have no trouble picking it up but it is not crystal clear to me.  The more I brighten it up  the worse it gets.

6 hours ago, k80clay said:

How good are your eyes? If you have a bit of astigmatism, the dots on the RDS will appear a bit fuzzy and larger. To me, the dots appear a bit fuzzy. I was told a few years back that I have a bit of astigmatism (not enough to be corrected at the time). 

This is the biggest difference to me. I originally got my Trijicon RMR 3.25MOA dot and thought, dang thats a large dot. Then I put on my glasses, and it's way way way smaller than I originally thought. Sucks to have astigmatism :( Thinking about laser surgery in the near future.