Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ or a WARNING

FENWICK7

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Treeclmbr said:

I witnessed a guy shoot himself in his foot holstering a gun so i know exactly how important these rules are

And we all thought that was just a metaphor ...

Edited by teros135

Dont want to go into to many details, not sure whats being done. I was pretty much proved it was a holster issue.

Shadow 2, race style holster, his finger was not on trigger. When he inserted holster into "block" gun wet off. It recoiled back and went back into "block" and went off a again. 1 shot about 6" from foot, 1 shot between toes. Actually scared the crap out of me i was about 5 feet away. Funny thing is; gun was cleared ,reholstered and it was explained he was DQ. He was a newer shooter. No one knew he shot himsef at that time. He said ok and walked to other room ,took off shoe and theres the blood. I asked him if he knew he had gotten hit with one of the rounds and he said yes he knew it. Personally i would have had a totally different response if i had just shot myself. I think adrenaline and embarrassment kept him from saying anything immediately 

A guy on another squad had a near miss at a match I was at last year.

Just user error, got his finger on the trigger as he was just starting the draw. Bullet traveled through the bottom of the holster, he was not hit but the impact mark was very close to his shoe and he said he felt it as the bullet went by. 

And no, if I knew I shot my foot I wouldn't be worried about embarrassment or a dq. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2018 at 11:00 AM, HoMiE said:

Curious if it was a hard case, pistol sleeve, soft zipper case? I have been warned when using a zippered softcase or told I’m sweeping myself, I’m like I have to unzip the case to get pistol. What do most people use for .22 pistols since not many holsters?

I use a zippered case, never a problem

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2018 at 3:40 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

I do not get upset at anyone but me when I do something stupid and need to be dq'd . 

I do get upset when I see somebody who will not call a dq when a safety rule is broken, I think it puts all of the people who are trying to follow the rules in a bad light. 

That is not a flame, but if I'm on your squad and you are not enforcing the safety rules then I'm going to change squads if possible or else just go home. 

I DQ'd myself one time for an AD during a reload.  RO was a friend,  but even as friends I told him I would DQ him, so I must be DQ'D.   I do agree with Hi power jack,  and do have those side conversations and warnings every time I can.

Friend of mine recently finished a CRO course.

Instructor said a guy shot himself in the leg at a match while holstering & now the guy is suing the r.o. & the cro & the range. May not be a successful suit but even at best case defending yourself with a lawyer is not free. One take away my buddy had is that nada - zero - zilch gets a pass on the safety stuff, anything happens & you do not want the other guys attorney to be able to show what might be considered as a pattern of negligence. 

2nd hand but I think I got the story straight. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

34 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Great bedtime story unless we have proof this story is true ....   :huh:

i hope that it's not true as i hate when folks blame their fu's on someone or everyone else, but would be interesting to see the actual case if true.

3 hours ago, mwray said:

I dunno about the lawsuit part but I seen the video. Dude had a stream of blood running down his leg and is not freaked out all. Almost like he didn’t know

He very well may not have.  My son had a holster issue that set his gun off and he didn't know he had been shot when it happened either.  Back to the topic at hand:  This is historically a much safer sport than the NFL.  ROs as a whole do a good job of handing out safety suggestions and keeping shooters well inside the safety realm.  Bottom line is that it all starts with the shooter.  What ROs end up doing is always a reactive response,  the shooter is the only one who can be proactive once the make ready has been completed.  That is one reason that I feel all shooters should take an RO class and help others when ever possible.  We help each other with gobs of info on improving our scores and classifications, and most of us put the same emphasis on safety, all of us should. Still accidents happen, equipment fails, and DQs are part of it.  Shoot safe=have fun

10 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Great bedtime story unless we have proof this story is true ....   :huh:

I'm thinking that the CRO instructors do not just make up crap to fill the time, but you never know for sure I guess.

I'm curious enough to ask around a bit next time I see one of the wheels at a match, seems like if somebody knows Troy M. or M.Foley or any of the certified instructors they would know for sure. 

Level 1 match, three years ago, unloaded start facing down range, new shooter draws and turns left to engage targets on the right.  She does a complete 180 sweeping the entire squad and onlookers.  After I picked myself up from the ground, I was amazed to witness the RO NOT DQ’ing the shooter because 1) she was a new shooter and 2) gun was unloaded.

i stopped frequenting that club for several years.  

If anyone complains about being DQ'd when sweeping themselves, just show them this picture.

Wow, I was gonna agree with the warning, but after seeing that photo, I think you’re absolutely right. The smallest error can end in tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the RO is absolutely sure of what he saw, then no argument.  I've seen a lot of RO's make that call from weird angles, where there is no way they can be sure.  If I'm not sure, I will issue a warning.  Loaded or unloaded doesn't enter into the decision for me though.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, robport said:

If the RO is absolutely sure of what he saw, then no argument.  I've seen a lot of RO's make that call from weird angles, where there is no way they can be sure.  If I'm not sure, I will issue a warning.  Loaded or unloaded doesn't enter into the decision for me though.

I agree. If you saw it then call it. There is no "I think he did it" or "it looked like it". I saw an RO make a DQ call and when asked by MD if he was sure his response was "it looked like it". Shooter got the benefit and a reshoot.  

On 4/10/2018 at 6:49 PM, robport said:

I agree in general. Not sure what you mean by issue a warning, as a courtesy to the shooter I will tell them if something looked borderline after they are finished with hammer down and holster. 

When shooting I try to take away a nervous r.o.'s chance to make a bad call, exaggerate pointing the gun down range when reloading & moving to my weak side & etc..

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, CHLChris said:

OMG!!  Was that necessary?  I suppose everyone needs a visual reminder sometimes, but wowsers!

There is a fellow on the PARAcast podcast whose motto is, "Just don't point the gun at me and I won't DQ you."  That attitude goes too far, but a new shooter, muzzling themselves getting an empty gun out of a case during Make Ready, perhaps should be given a warning.  Now, muzzling oneself during, say, a prepare for second string, while a gun is actually hot, would be automatic.  (I've seen a newbie drop a mag between strings then absentmindedly reach for the mag with a loaded gun in the other hand.)

I disagree, and its not because I like seeing anyone DQ. I had a fellow shooter remove a gun that was thought to be unloaded, take a sight picture and pull the trigger. Guess what it went bang about 3 feet from my ear. We were in a safe area and I did not have hearing protection in so needles to say it was unpleasant, luckily no one was hurt. I just don't agree with the letting it slide, all guns should be treated as if they are loaded.

2 hours ago, SWprotected said:

I disagree, and its not because I like seeing anyone DQ. I had a fellow shooter remove a gun that was thought to be unloaded, take a sight picture and pull the trigger. Guess what it went bang about 3 feet from my ear. We were in a safe area and I did not have hearing protection in so needles to say it was unpleasant, luckily no one was hurt. I just don't agree with the letting it slide, all guns should be treated as if they are loaded.

Agreed!   One uncorrected careless error can lead to a careless accident.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

I agree in general. Not sure what you mean by issue a warning, as a courtesy to the shooter I will tell them if something looked borderline after they are finished with hammer down and holster. 

When shooting I try to take away a nervous r.o.'s chance to make a bad call, exaggerate pointing the gun down range when reloading & moving to my weak side & etc..

That's what I meant by issuing a warning (nothing official)...tell them they were close.  I usually pull them aside after they are scored.