Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no more Para Ordnance Open guns?

ksf141

10 years ago I shot a Para hi-cap framed open gun for many seasons and it worked beautifully and was well balanced.  They are almost non-existent today and Im wondering why especially now with MBX manufacturing top of the line mags for them (used to be an issue particularly with big sticks).??

Ive been out of the game for years but was considering building an open gun on the cheap and getting back into it a little bit.  I can pick up a para wide body frame for not much and build a top end for it, curious what others thoughts are.  

I like the fact that a para frame uses all 1911 parts as opposed to a caspian frame that has some proprietary tid-bits (and mag issues). Anyone else out there still shooting a Para framed open gun today? There was just something I always liked about the weight balanced of a steel frame as opposed to STI polymer based setup.  Shoot straight. 

There were rumors of Remington bringing back the Para frames - were some that that was why they bought them in the first place. I bought one of the last ditch Para Expert 1911's when Para was dumping them and it was.....bad....no other word for it.  I hope Remington QC makes an effort to push the Para legacy back up to where it used to be. 

biggest issue was the thin dust cover wasnt great for drilling and tapping for a Cmore.   Current Remingtons are garbage.  The older Para's are good platforms to build on. Its just that STI built a better mouse trap

On 1/13/2018 at 10:37 AM, ksf141 said:

opposed to a caspian frame that has some proprietary tid-bits (and mag issues).

I will note the MBX 170mm mags for Tangfo/Caspian are fantastic - no tuning needed, worked right out of the box for me. So, that problem has recently been fixed in my mind.

My teammate has a Para Pro Custom 16.40 that he shoots in Limited, and the magazines have been very difficult to find. I think he's tried tinkering with STI mags and a couple others in an attempt to get more magazines - as well as baseplates and everything else. It's been a project and there were a couple matches where things were not quite working well.

Edited by sc68cal

All makes sense, was curious if there were other things I may not have thought of. The addition of MBX magazines really has me considering getting a para frame again and building a top end for it to resurrect the para open gun! One plus is that I can build a gun for less money than a comparable STI. Getting back into the sport after a long hiatus so looking to do on a budget. Thanks for the insights. 

I have a Canadian Para O 16/40 that got me started in Limited way back. It kept breaking barrel links. 

Now, I shoot primarily in Open with STI framed guns. I like the platform and the quality. If I were to get into the game now and knowing what I know and being on a budget, I would look for a used STI open gun. Paras I would not consider.  

Hope to see you at a match. 

11 hours ago, HI5-O said:

I have a Canadian Para O 16/40 that got me started in Limited way back. It kept breaking barrel links. 

Now, I shoot primarily in Open with STI framed guns. I like the platform and the quality. If I were to get into the game now and knowing what I know and being on a budget, I would look for a used STI open gun. Paras I would not consider.  

Hope to see you at a match. 

I still also have my old Para P16 Limited .40 that I shot limited class with for man years.  I still love the gun but if Im being honest with myself, I replaced every single component in the gun except the frame and slide.  All internals, sights, and barrel were replaced which make it shoot like a dream but I had numerous issues with the para right out of the box....

Youre right in that the way to go is a used STI and call it a day... shoot straight. 

I shoot a para for limited in 40sw.   As ksf141 said....I too replaced everything in the gun except for frame and slide.     For open, the only issue is the dust cover portion of the frame.

If it were thicker.  you could work around everything else but REALLY... with metal grips available now for the S_I frames, why bother with a Para????

IMO