Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster ? XDM 5.25 vs 4.25

jcc7x7

In the process of making a final decision on XDm 4.25" OSP gun or another make of plastic gun.

The question is will a 4.25 osp gun fit in a 5.25 " holster

Obviously the length will be a little long but is the top of the gun the same

Thanks

They look the same to me with the exception if the slide length and the slide cut at the rear both of which should affect any holster I know of.  My XDM holster is a slightly modified XD holster and I cant imagine the OSP being more different than that. 

4 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

Why would you not buy the 5.25 competition xdm?  It can be used in production, carry optics, or limited minor (not that I recommend minor in lkmited).  

Don't and won't shoot production, own 2 custom built 2011 40's for Limited major and I like the shorter Bbl length and the way it points for c/o. Other

questions happily entertained, LOL!

14 minutes ago, StuckinMS said:

Is muzzle rise and tracking the dot not tougher with the shorter slide? 

I have not found that with using 2011 open guns, M&P 4.25 vs 5", Glock 17 vs 34

It's just a matter of setting the gun up to perform properly with the selected load.

Seems much easier to do that with a 2011 than plastic guns but I've done it with both M&P's and Glocks. So I figure I can with the SA

10 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

Why would you not buy the 5.25 competition xdm?  It can be used in production, carry optics, or limited minor (not that I recommend minor in lkmited).  

That is why if you buy the xdm 5.25,  you get it in forty.  It and the equivalent in glock, M&P, and probably some other production legal guns are the most versatile guns for this game.  If you are poorboying it, they are a good way to go.  I think the rounds you give up in Carry ops are not near the penalty of minor in limited and if you reload forty aint much more than 9.  But this pertains not to the OPs question  :-)

5.25 doesnt come wwith factory optic cut. 4.25 does. So ud have to run a dovetail mount on the 5.25. That being said the 4.25 has an extended threaded barrel if u decided to run a compensator.
Also the 4.5 and 5.25 slide weighs the same. So would suspect the dot tracking would be equal... 
I am laning towards the 45 OSP,,  No USPSA in my area but there is a local club that runs outlaw IDPA and bowling pins.,,, Would screw on comp and run it heavy for pins and run it at minor with no comp. Both games are 10 round games so capacity wouldnt be an issue.

• 8 months later...
On 1/20/2018 at 5:58 PM, Joe4d said:

5.25 doesnt come wwith factory optic cut. 4.25 does. So ud have to run a dovetail mount on the 5.25. That being said the 4.25 has an extended threaded barrel if u decided to run a compensator.
Also the 4.5 and 5.25 slide weighs the same. So would suspect the dot tracking would be equal... 
I am laning towards the 45 OSP,,  No USPSA in my area but there is a local club that runs outlaw IDPA and bowling pins.,,, Would screw on comp and run it heavy for pins and run it at minor with no comp. Both games are 10 round games so capacity wouldnt be an issue.

5.25 isn’t a dovetail rear sight like other XDm’s . You need a bolt in adapter plate for the optic needed. And are available from a couple places. Quick and easy swap 

• 7 months later...
On 1/13/2018 at 2:59 PM, StuckinMS said:

Is muzzle rise and tracking the dot not tougher with the shorter slide? 

In a word.....No.   I have a Delta and a custom Caspian build in 10mm Commander slide on Officers frame.... same load thru both guns and my splits are consistently quicker on the custom...

Less mass moving and stopping and moving forward to a stop..... 

for the record my little 10 is a Bilby Pocket Rocket That has been well shown in this forum Years ago.... the gun is Still Perfect and tight .... now my shooting skills and eyesight is no where near good today.... but I’m Not dead and you can’t have this little 10!!

H