Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good PCC compensator 1/2x28?

I'm setting up a PCC on a modified Freedom Ordnance FX-9 AR style carbine.  Put in a CMC trigger,  changed out most of the controls and furniture and mounted a Holosun 510c.  I have a Blitzkrieg Piston buffer system on order.  What is a good 1/2x28 compensator to put on it?  Are the Taccom ULW any good or the MBX worth the money?

Nobody really knows. There have been no scientific studies, that I know of, demonstrating the efficacy of comps, or brakes. It is all anecdotal. 

Compensator's on PCC's are like taking placebos (sugar pills). If you think they'll work, then they will.

If I were going to put anything on the end of a barrel it would be the KAW Valley XL linear comp, and it would be pin/welded to a 12 inch barrel to make it legal.

They don't really matter unless you're running a short barrel with high charge weights- same recipe you'd use with an open gun. By the time the gas hits the brake at the end of a 16" barrel, it's already expanded to much of its final volume, leaving you with little pressure to work against the baffles. 

I've got one similar to this on my PCC, and the only reason I've got it on there is to help with timers picking up my shots. 

Just for fun- I roughly guesstimated what the pressure at the muzzle is for a 16" 9mm load: 

25.84 cm3 = volume of a 16" 9mm barrel

Max pressure of a 9mm round = 35000 psi (don't get mad at me for mixing si and English units) 

Total volume of a 9mm round = .96 cm3

Approximate empty volume of a 9mm at combustion = .48 cm3

P1V1 = P2V2

35000 psi x .48 cm3 = (X) x 25.84 cm3

X= 650 psi at the muzzle of a 16" barrel

A 4" barrel would have 2600 psi of pressure at its muzzle

Now, this is making a lot of assumptions (namely, ignoring volume of gas produced and burn rate) and is just simple math, but comparing that to rifle rounds and shorter barrels, it's clear to me that there's just not much there to work with. 

Edited by Xanatos903
35 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Like I have said for years a comp on a PCC does not do anything on a 16" barrel except acts as a weight on the end, which I guess does something. Also I guess it redirects the sound in the direction of the ports in the comp. Thanks, Eric

It does nothing on a 7" barrel either.  Save your money.

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Like I have said for years a comp on a PCC does not do anything on a 16" barrel except acts as a weight on the end, which I guess does something. Also I guess it redirects the sound in the direction of the ports in the comp. Thanks, Eric

So, would Popple holes at maybe 4 or 5 inches out on a barrel make a difference?  I love the way my 5.56 compensator practically eliminates all barrel movement.  I don't care about recoil for a 9 mm carbine.

Looks like I could test barrel movement, drill a couple of holes in the barrel at a time and retest.  Wouldn't be a problem clearancing a handguard for the exhaust.

Would holes that close to the upper even have enough effect?

popple holes and comps are for muzzle rise or movement how much of that is there in a pcc with a good support hand grip? not much 

seems like everyone is chasing down a problem that doesn't exist.

the recoil coming straight back is what makes a pcc feel soft or harsh

the guard an mpx people feel shoot the softest with least movement and they have nothing special. the new ruger has no muzzle device at all and it appears to recoil harder than most but the barrel doesn't appear to move much at all.

4 minutes ago, Xanatos903 said:

Yeah, a decent buffer setup, a tuned load, and a strong grip are far more important to muzzle control than the particulars of compensator design.

A voice in the wilderness. 

Well done, again.

You're right, Bart. And dammit, when you're right , you're right. What you said should be a lesson to all of us.

Forget that it's three freaking degrees where I live. Forget that if it weren't for Meals-On-Wheels, I'd be a dead man. Forget that my dog ran off with some bitch that lives down the street. It's not important. What is important is that we've got each other. All sixty-one some thousand of us, and Sarge, right here at good old BEF.

Kinda chokes a fellow up just thinking about, don't it.  :lol:

On 1/17/2018 at 4:50 PM, BartCarter said:

OK, I am fine with my setup now.  I'm just going to spend my time being a better shooter. :D

When I started shooting this sport, there was a short stocky guy with this stock looking 1911 .45 that was kicking nearly everyone's butt.  Rumor was that he made M with that piece of crap, while shooting against Open guns.  I would laugh when people would assume he was just poor and offer him a set of wood grips to replace the plastic crap that he had on the gun.  It also frustrated the crap out of us gadget people when he would consistently kick our butts with a totally inferior gun.  We had him covered in every category pertaining to gun and gear,  other than the number of rounds shot through that gun.   Now that I have spent over 25 years becoming the old guy, I still like the latest gadgets, but accept that it is not going to make me better or much faster, but I still want them.  He still shoots plain Jane guns (very well) but we never learn from him because that would require too much time and effort.   My excuse is that I have more money than time, so I continue to attempt to buy skill.       

2 hours ago, 2MoreChains said:

I needed a comp on the end of my 16” barrel so the shot timer could pick up the sound of the shot without the RO having to crowd me.  Without any muzzle device it was almost hearing-safe w/out any ear pro.  

I agree.  It's the only reason I would change out my Birdcage.