Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal pcc

Stupid question but what would be an ideal out of the box pcc for uspsa?  I would like to use glock mags.  No sbr stuff.  Reliable & durable are key.  Price not as critical.  I like the JP a lot but wondering if theres a better or more cost effective gun out there?  Out of box reliable, durable, cost effective in that order....

Thanks.  Please opinions on what you have, no degrading someone elses choices.  

Edit to add please no abbreviations or nicknames for your chosen model.  Brand & model & even options you prefer would all be appreciated.  Thanks guys.

Edited by mlmiller1

The route I chose was Nordic Components NCPCC with the Glock magwell.  A buddy of mine had one and let me shoot his a bit before I made my decision.  I have only had mine for about 2 months now, but I have yet to have a single problem.  Not much difference in price between it and the JP, only $100 or so.  My biggest concern for an out of the box gun was also reliability.  My buddy has had his for a year and still has not had a problem.  Load it and shoot it.  Best of luck, PCC is fun.

All of the JP's that I know of (including mine) worked right out of the box and mine has never jammed at all.  With the JP you get a complete gun that is ready to shoot matches with right out of the box, including a match grade trigger that does not need to be replaced.  Many others, even more expensive ones, come with mil-spec triggers that most people will replace immediately.  

I have also been looking into a PCC with similar priorities as yourself. So far I have narrowed it down to three.

Angstadt Arms - UDP 9 Rifle: Have not heard anything negative or seen anything I did not like.

Wilson Combat - AR9: I like the fluted barrel and the solid history of good guns. Price is a bit high

Nordic Components - NCPCC: Have heard a lot of good reviews and has a good history in competition guns. The interchangeable magwells concerns me slightly since it is a new unproven design.

If anyone has any hands on or personal experience with these I would love to hear your opinion.

Edit: Just wanted to note that JP is a close consideration, but I have heard of a few people disliking the balance and weight. Very subjective to the individuals preference but still a note.

Edited by ArcherAdrian
1 minute ago, BartCarter said:

On a JP, what kind of weight/balance would occur if you put a carbon fiber handguard on?  Would that take care of the only complaint that I have heard so far?

Hello: Yes it does and you can also use a lighter hand guard as well. The tuff part is getting the original hand guard off since they use red Loctite and the special tool. Good hand guard options are Taccom, Nordic for 22's, Matrix and the new carbon KAW Valley one. Thanks, Eric

To be honest, most of the factory rifles have heavy hand guards and barrels and none of them can compare to what can be purchased in the aftermarket.  I do not believe  it would be fair to call the JP out on it's balance when it's weight/balance is similar to the others on the list above.   

25 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Maybe not front-end heavy, but heavy all over. That thing is gonna be pushing 7 pounds with an optic on it.

Plus: TRIGGER:  SINGLE STAGE MIL-SPEC ...   add some more to that $1,500 for a decent trigger.

6lb 4oz not to bad for a PCC, I wish my MPX would have started that light, took about $1000 to get it to that weight with optic, still I wanted an AR9 for my son, looked at several options and decided it was time to build one,(with a lot of help from Taccom) came in at 5lbs 5oz with a Cmore and only cost just over a grand. and it will shoot with any other PCC on the market 

14 hours ago, L9X25 said:

To be honest, most of the factory rifles have heavy hand guards and barrels and none of them can compare to what can be purchased in the aftermarket.  I do not believe  it would be fair to call the JP out on it's balance when it's weight/balance is similar to the others on the list above.   

I was just pointing out what reviews/comments I have seen. There just seems to be more complaints about the weight of the JP compared to similar rifles.

Just doing a quick search:

JP GMR15 - 6 lbs 11oz

Angstadt UDP9 - 5 lbs

Wilson Combat AR9 - 6 lbs 4oz

Nordic NCPCC - 6 lbs 11 oz

With this info it makes the Angstadt very appealing and it would be interesting to feel the balance difference between JP and Nordic.

talked to lgs yesterday, and he thinks he may get one right before shot show and he all ready has 5 spoken for may be a while before most of us get our hands on one 

Anyone have experience with the new Ruger carbine that just came out?

It uses a wide variety of magazines, including Glock, thanks to interchangeable mag wells.

It also is a takedown, similar to the 10-22.

Suggested retail price is under $700.

Edited by fishhunter3
can't type/spell
38 minutes ago, ArcherAdrian said:

I was just pointing out what reviews/comments I have seen. There just seems to be more complaints about the weight of the JP compared to similar rifles.

Just doing a quick search:

JP GMR15 - 6 lbs 11oz

Angstadt UDP9 - 5 lbs

Wilson Combat AR9 - 6 lbs 4oz

Nordic NCPCC - 6 lbs 11 oz

With this info it makes the Angstadt very appealing and it would be interesting to feel the balance difference between JP and Nordic.

I wouldnt count on the angstadt Being 5.0 pounds because their website says 5lbs. Using a strandard barrel and parts that doesn’t add up to me 

I've got a Colt 6951. Did NOT run out of the box so I won't recommend it.

But, last weekend watched a fairly new USPSA shooter run 4 stages with his Beretta. He and it ran well. The gun was stock, no trigger work or new parts, just an MRO on top.

I had heard the triggers were heavy but this one was fine. I don't remember if he had any long mags but someone probably does them.

1 hour ago, Garmil said:

I wouldnt count on the angstadt Being 5.0 pounds because their website says 5lbs. Using a strandard barrel and parts that doesn’t add up to me 

Agreed. I wouldn't either.

In addition, the APF carbine isn't 6 pounds 4 ounces. It's 6 point 4 pounds. That's 6 pounds, 6 and 1/2 ounces.

I have a JP GMR-13 and it has been very reliable and fun to shoot. With that said I bought a PSA  GX on a Black Friday Sale and it really impresses me for a rifle that cost under $400.00. The finish is basic, but the balance and function have been great. 

On 1/12/2018 at 6:22 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Do you reload or not? If you reload the JP is a very good choice or just build your own using good parts. If you don't reload it is pretty hard to beat a Sig MPX. It will eat any factory stuff and still feel softer than any AR9. Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric.  I do reload.  Why is the sig softer?